1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cricket Thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Addick_Stu, May 14, 2012.

1. Addick_Stu

Addick_Stu Active Member

With several Kent/England players old and new (Alan Knott and Adam Ball to name a couple) being Charlton fans, I thought i'd start a general Cricket Sticky for people to discuss all things Cricket during the summer.
    Primarily this will be for England games, but also any other cricket stories worthy of comment, whether it be IPL,T20 ,CB40,ODI's or any other form of the game.

Let me start it off with my view of the forthcoming immense year for England with the touring sides being West Indies (Tests and ODI's), Australia (ODI and T20) and South Africa (Tests,ODI and T20).

The key series is against South Africa with teams 1 and 2 battling it our for top spot in the Test Log.
    South Africa have some formidable players, including the new bowling sensation, Vernon Philander, who will, in my opinion, be a revelation in English conditions. What with Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel as the other 2 quicks, they will be a very strong unit, however, their spin department may rely a wee bit too much on Imran Tahir. Whether their batting will be as strong as past teams remains to be seen, with veterans Smith and Kallis still very prominent in their line-up- but with fine backup from Amla de DeVilliers. Watch out for Richard Levy in the T20's - he has the record for the fastest T20 international century ever, although on a ground with an extremely small boundary carry.

Windies also seem to have had a little resurgency recently, with Nadine,in my opinion, about to become a superstar in the Shane Warne mould,(watch out for him, one hell of a bowler) and also Gayle making a comeback in the ODI's potentially.

Australia also seem to be rebuilding, and have unearthed a few quicks in PAttinson and Cummins that could cause problems if they can adapt to English conditions.

My predictions are...
    England to beat Windies in all forms.
    England also to beat Aus in all forms.
    England and SA to draw in Tests but SA to win in ODI's.

Play !

2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

It has been requested this be made a sticky for the summer, to which I have permitted. Please, if you have no interest in cricket then don't post in the thread.

It will be removed when the football season starts up again. So for those who enjoy cricket, enjoy the thread and post responsibly (which means no over reactions to KP if he doesn't get a ton in the first test ;) )

3. calydon_road

calydon_road Member

whitewash the windies...

sneak a series win against proteas but it will be mighty difficult.

cook to carry on smashing all comers...class act that boy

4. ybabobmij

ybabobmij Active Member

This'll surprise you - a Scottish cricket fan!!! Enjoy the tests. Only been twice - v SA in 01 or 02 at the Oval and 05 v Bangladesh at Lords. Good day out. I've become a fan of the T20 thrashabout too although I'm not strictly sure its cricket (if you see what I mean). Looking forward to the summer.

5. Addick_Stu

Addick_Stu Active Member

Very impressed Jimbob. This'll surprise you too - I have watched the Scotland Cricket team play, at The Grange in Edinburgh (mind you, it was against England,in 2010 whilst the Footy World Cup was on in SA) - it was the day after Englands abysmal performance v Algeria when Rooney started having a pop at the fans - in actual fact, i was interviewed by Tim ABraham whilst q'ing for the toilets to ask for my opinion ( i was busting by the time he'd finished) - and it ,apparently, got shown on Sky Sports News.

6. ybabobmij

ybabobmij Active Member

They must have been scraping the barrel to ask you your opinion about the toilets!!! Oh wait, I see what you mean......

The Scotland cricket team used to be the preserve of a small minority of former pupils of toff private schools but I think there is a bit more of an inclusive approach now. Was it Gavin Hamilton who played for both Scotland and England about a decade ago? And good old Mike Denness. showing my age now.

7. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Does Gavin Hastings still play for the rugby, cricket, football and lacrosse teams?

8. Addick_Stu

Addick_Stu Active Member

No mate - that was W G Grace.

9. Addick_Stu

Addick_Stu Active Member

Not a bad start by Windies 82-2 at lunch on Day 1 - a lot better than most expected.
    Still have them down to be all out for less than 250.

10. Addick_Stu

Addick_Stu Active Member

Windies 242-9 at EOP - Broad with 6 wickets. A good day for England - however, Chaderpaul is still there !

11. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

Stu, I haven't watched cricket seriously for several years, so when did the West Indies get so bad?

The traditional flair was there today, but where's the technique gone which allowed the flair to flourish? The only batsman who looked as if he'd got a clue was Chanderpaul.

As one who went to watch the great West Indies sides, starting with Sobers and Co. and ending with Lara, gotta say this is a very sad state of affairs.

12. Addick_Stu

Addick_Stu Active Member

Tewkes, they've been on the decline for a while now, however there are signs of a resurgence. Many Windies supporters believe that the massive influence of Basketball has taken away all their tall fast bowlers ( remember Curtly and Joel Garner?)- but their batsmen are also a few runs short of a century.
    Another factor is that currently the Windies have 6 players playing in IPL who would have been in this side - Chris Gayle,Sunil Narine,Dwayne Bravo,Dwayne Smith,Pollard and Andre Russell. In actual fact Narine is a young leggie in the Shane Warne mould who, in my opinion, is going to be a huge superstar - able to bowl leggies with control is something you do not see very often - and his figures in the IPL are nothing short of remarkable for someone so young.If they had those 6 playing they would have been much more competitive, however, probably probably still not competitive enough in the tests.However, it is likely that all 6 of those players will be playing in the ODI's and 20/20, where they will be VERY competitive, believe me.
    One thing that is not well known is that the Windies is only represented in one sport - cricket. In no other sport do they come together as one 'nation'.

13. Tewkesbury Addick

Thanks Stu - I'm astonished about the IPL players not being there, but I suppose money talks.

I met Joel Garner once, certainly the biggest person in stature I've ever met, but modest and quietly spoken. Also sat opposite Wayne Daniel on the tube, looking dignified and immaculate in his W.I. blazer, while everyone else was wrapped up in their overcoats in the middle of Winter.

Didn't know that about the cricket team being the only unified sporting team from the W.I. <ok>

14. Addick_Stu

Addick_Stu Active Member

Sorry Jimbob for late reply, yes, it was Gavin Hamilton who played for both Scotland and England. He only retired last year, and played in a couple of World Cups for Scotland.

15. Addick_Stu

Addick_Stu Active Member

Yes Tewkes, IPL is starting to dictate rather than the national teams. For example, Malinga has retired from tests (at 28, i think) to only play 20/20's , as has Shaun Tait. Althouhg i must admit, it has been captivating viewing at times.

Thought you would have been at Torquay tonight ?

16. Tewkesbury Addick

No Stu, it's a hell of a drive even from here - fine, fine end to the game though.

I'd like to see Cheltenham go up with Swindon but I fear Crewe may have too much for them.

17. calydon_road

calydon_road Member

great first day`s play.

Sean Da Paul ...good knock but i doubt Edwards and Bravo will be too happy with him

300 to get today for only 4-5 down...

18. Addick_Stu

Addick_Stu Active Member

Yeah - i go with that Caly. Bat til tomorrow tea time with 350 lead, then get them 3 down by EOP. At least those people going on Sunday will have something to watch.

19. ybabobmij

ybabobmij Active Member

:emoticon-0119-puke::headbang:

I suspect they will be watching a lot of "drought" falling from the skies on Sunday if the weather forecast is to be believed! :headbang:

20. Tewkesbury Addick

Spot on, Stu. <ok>