1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Cricket

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by SAFCY, Oct 20, 2019.

1. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

was one of my favourite places on the smb. Some good friends post on there, who I will miss when the games start again.

If any of you post on the cricket forum, tell them I’m over here, if they want to chat cricket again.

Anyway, is there anyone on here who likes the game for England and Durham?

Class of 73 and Saf like this.
  2. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I've lost a little interest in Durham over the last few seasons but I still tune into the internationals.

SAFCY likes this.
  3. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

I go to the Durham t20s matches, which imo are a nice evening of sport

I get a season card for £70 for 7 games.

The England team this summer has been brilliant in the World Cup and tests.

4. Saf

That's a great deal <ok>

We were great in the world cup, I'll give you that. We are certainly a ODI team now. We've just had our arses handed to us by the Aussies in the ashes.

SAFCY likes this.
  5. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

Been the price for about five years now. For an under 16 it’s £25 and they can see every durham game a season in every format.

England will be playing in New Zealand and South Africa shortly, under a new manager so it will be interesting how things pan out

6. Saf

We were discussing this on here not so long ago. How long do we persist with the old guard for? Anderson has always been injury prone and was injured again in the Ashes. Is it time to ditch him and let the likes of Curran and Archer have more game time, or do we persist until with Anderson because he's probably still our best bowler on his day. Plenty of selection in the bowling department.

The batting is more problematic. We've struggled to make partnerships and our batsman are struggling to kick on once they've played themselves in. Denly might have just secured his place at the top of the order with the way he finished the Ashes series. I'd keep Burns there as he's a good solid grafter. There's potential with them two.

The biggest issue for me is the captaincy. Joe Root was appalling during the Ashes and all of his inadequacies were laid bare to the world. He got his field selections all wrong and also his stubbornness to not change his bowlers at times when we were crying out for something different. It's not like his batting even makes him the first name on the team sheet anymore. Now is the time to shake the test team up and prepare for the next Ashes.

SAFCY likes this.
  7. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

I’m off to bed and will come back on this tomorrow

Saf likes this.
  8. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I'm a huge cricket fan of both England and Durham. I used to watch Durham when in the minor league ... hard to believe what has happened since

SAFCY and Saf like this.
  9. old lads fan

old lads fan Well-Known Member

We drew the Ashes series, not sure we had our arses handed to us.

Ronnie

10. Saf

Australia were comfortably the better team. That last test didn't matter to them and it showed.

11. old lads fan

old lads fan Well-Known Member

Steve Smith was the best player in the series, without Smith they were a poor inconsistent team. Smith is the best batsman seen for 50 years or more and he was the difference between the two teams. Also England would have won the second test if it hadn't rained on the last day.
    All in all I think it was a pretty even series IMHO of course.

Ronnie

12. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I agree about Smith..pretty much retained the ashes on his own...I also think the Aussies have the best and most destructive bowling attack in world cricket...So when you think with Smith and that bowling attack, they still DIDN"T beat England.

13. Saf

You could be right about Smith. I think he needs another few series like that to match Tendulkar, tbh.

I thought Australia generally looked the more solid and consistent team with a few flashes of brilliance from England. They came to make sure that they returned home with the Ashes and by the 4th test they achieved that and were able to put their feet up for the last test.

2-2 or 1-3 if the Aussies had competed properly in the last test? We'll never know but I've got a feeling it would have been the latter.

14. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

Re the ashes it turned on two performances in regards to winning or drawing

smith and stokes

very even stats across the rest of the players involved and imo a draw was a fair result.

one other turning point was the Anderson injury at edgbaston when the aussies were 120 odd for 8. Smith then got away and the game swung to Australia

that was huge for the aussies winning there so it was always a long way back for England to win the series

if the FTECB was not just money, the games would have been played at england friendly grounds like CLS where we have won every test.

Also no Trent bridge which the aussies would have dreaded facing broad on his home patch.

farnboromackem likes this.
  15. wtdog

wtdog Well-Known Member

If we had declared one hour earlier at Lords we would have won that one

SAFCY likes this.
  16. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

Root will reflect on that with great regret

wtdog likes this.
  17. wtdog

wtdog Well-Known Member

Especially when we lose 5 zip down there