1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Crystal Palace vs Southampton, Saturday 16th September, 12:30

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Le Tissier's Laces, Sep 12, 2017.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/sa...ill_feel_pressure_of_Van_Dijk_return/?ref=rss
    Maya:emoticon-0115-inlov talking about the team and especially the competition at CB. Does mention that VVD is a top player but adds he has been out for 8 months, which suggests he won't be playing full games immediately. Yoshi reckons we have quite a good team.....damning with faint praise there. <laugh>

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/15...oment_in_the_sun/?ref=mr&lp=6#comments-anchor

Article praising Davis' contribution to Saints. My query....writer speaks of fans singing VVD's name...views seem split on this. Perhaps it depends who was around you or where you were sat. I'm guessing that some started booing and then the singers tried to drown them out...the usual occurrence. Anyone know?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

He didn't exactly say that did he, let's not twist things.

Archers Road and Onionman like this.
  3. fran-MLs little camera

Guardian: Saints should get better and better
    Virgil van Dijk got 10 minutes on the pitch for Southampton on Saturday and the fans were supportive. The defender, so desired by Liverpool, is on board at St Mary’s until January at least and that is good news for Mauricio Pellegrino. The manager accepts transfer rumours will continue about the Dutchman, the unfortunate consequence of Southampton’s reputation as a club who develop Champions League talent. But there is an upside to this bind. The more stars Southampton create, the more potential stars see the club as an attractive option. This means the south-coast club can attract talent of a higher calibre than they once did. The summer signings Wesley Hoedt and, especially, Mario Lemina, stood out for the visitors on Saturday. Recruited from Lazio and Juventus respectively, they are an obvious upgrade to the squad. Pellegrino may have to endure uncertainty as Southampton manager but there will be opportunities as well as risks. Paul MacInnes

I am really pleased that we keep finding gems, but I wish that we would be allowed to enjoy them for say...a few games....before they are sold on. Not arguing particularly with this journalist (especially with the header), but as far as the media are concerned this is our story....and it will be repeated until the Earth falls into the Sun. Garth Crooks has written that he can't see why a top 4 club didn't come in for Lemina....possibly because they didn't need him or he wasn't a priority. Luckily for us page-fillers the top clubs can't employ every footballer on the planet.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

5. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

As far as I am concerned it was the other way round, people started singing his song and then some fans booed. It was definitely 'mixed' though.

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

From where I was people only sang his song because some were singing a different version, then some near the front sang the proper one and was booed. Like Rich says certainly mixed though.

Personally I won't boo/abuse him but won't be singing his name at this point either, seemed to me a lot have taken that stance too.

7. fran-MLs little camera

I feel better about VVD playing for us after Saturday....he looked happy enough to come on and play and he looked happy after the match. This is a step he had to take and now he has....good to do it away from SMS. He's a long way from my Christmas Card list, but will now judge him on his performances.

8. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Please tell me nobody on here booed him..........Surely not...........

9. Juniper

Juniper Member

From where I stood it seemed the other way round. A few choruses of VVD were met with quite a few boos. I abstained - no cheering or booing, but he might have got a bit of a hard stare!! He had a close-ish go on goal not long after coming on and I did wonder what the reaction would have been then?

While on the subject, was slightly aggrieved by the person near me who thought it funny to sing "Who The F*****g Hell are You" at Geoff Thomas at half time. I wasn't really in the mood to pick a row there and then but did wonder how they would feel if it was (I dunno) James Beattie or Claus Lundekvam or someone who'd been battling leukaemia for 14 years and they heard an away fan behave like that. Never ashamed to be a saints fan but sometimes embarrassed!

10. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I would never boo a player in a saints shirt. But that's just me. Obviously a lot of fans boo when we are playing badly, but I have never booed even in the relegation days :)

I think people that boo have never played football before. Although in Vvd's case, I understand it more than booing a bad performance. He has been a cockwomble.

11. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

P Nevillle was saying 'the bigger clubs will alrdday be looking at Lemina!!

He's probably right although relative to English football I say Saints are a big club

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

No one ever said that. No one.

Saints Fan4Life and Libby like this.
  13. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I think I might try singing VvD's name whilst also making a "****er" gesture. Either that or leap about in total silence celebrating if he scores.

14. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I never sing as I am tone deaf and I would not boo as I am of a positive disposition.

15. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

At least he waited a day or two to try and sell him, not like Phil Neville who only waited a few hours. Prepare for the usual media storm about how Liverpool, Utd, City ........... have agreed terms with the player for a move in January <laugh>:angel::emoticon-0127-lipss

16. Saint Alban

Saint Alban Active Member

That would be an incredible full crowd celebration, everyone jumping up and down in silence! Imagine that... like some sort of weird Poznan routine

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  18. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

2-0 Callum Slattery

19. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

2 - 0, very well taken strike from Slattery.

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

Umm wrong thread lads? <laugh>

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    VocalMinority likes this.