1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Crystal Palarse versus Norwich City FC

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Sep 22, 2019.

?

Who shall win ?

1. Palace

15.8%
  2. Draw

36.8%
  3. Norwich

36.8%
  4. Reading

10.5%
  1. barclayenddan

barclayenddan Active Member

If reports are true then Jamal Lewis has a broken elbow!!!

2. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I don't think even the most pessimistic person would guess we would lose so many first choice players to Injury before October.

It is getting ridiculous.

3. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Can we recall any of the loanees ? Oxborough, Raggett ?

4. DUNCAN DONUTS

I wonder if Amadou can play in goal ?

5. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

That's a bit hard, Jedi. No one could have predicted this many injuries. The PL has a 25 player squad limit. We currently have 26 players, with 5 young players who do not count because they were under 21 on the first of January. Next year, that will only apply to Max & Idah. What SW did do was add 7 young players to develop for the future, like Fitzpatrick, Guilmour and Bushiri. Next season they won't count in the 25 man squad, thus expanding DF's options.

A win over Villa would put us back on track for survival with 9 points from 8 games. We just have to ride out this injury crisis over the international break. There's still 31 games to go. Keep calm and carry on with the long term development plan.

6. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

If Jamal is a long term injury, it's another kick to the already aching and swollen balls. He's been one of our brightest and most consistent players this season. If it is broken, though, I don't know how he continued playing though the pain. We can only hope it's not that bad.

zogean_king, ncgandy and RiverEndRick like this.
  7. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

dum dum dum... another bites the dust.... the injuries are so bad even a mega team, a Mac City or Liverpool etc would be hard pressed through it. Never give up, never surrender! Even if we keep losing away the crowd can act as the 12th man at home.

8. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

I was anticipating a good game, and it was. In the end I thought Palace shaded it and deserved their win, though Lawro's prediction of a one goal margin would have been a fairer reflection. Palace are unbeaten at Selhurst Park since April, and they showed why with an excellent defensive performance, despite which we had three or four opportunities from which, with more astute finishing or against a less well-marshalled defence, we could have scored.
    There were shades of Burnley in our start, though. Cantwell in particular was off the pace, and nearly all the early trouble we got into originated from mis-placed or poorly weighted passes by him. It took us a quarter of the game and going behind to really get into our stride, but when we did we out-played them and could easily have levelled.
    After seven games I think we can see that what we anticipated is pretty much how it is turning out. Against better quality, better coached teams the margins of error are smaller; against fitter teams we are the ones tiring towards the end; against generally greater pace in all positions, we are looking slower; against teams who consistently apply greater pressure, our FBs can't get forward so freely, meaning fewer options in attack. On top of which injuries have made it impossible to establish a settled defensive unit.
    That said, we are playing good football and thoroughly entertaining. Onwards, and hopefully in time upwards!

9. DUNCAN DONUTS

Our away record in the Premier League is dreadful, as long as we can pick up wins at home especially against other strugglers we should be ok.

May have to get the war chest out in January

10. RiverEndRick

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Having watched MOTD I think Cantwell missed his chance to score because he had too much time to think, he should have instinctively shot first time instead of over thinking it.

Just my opinion <cheers>

13. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

As a postscript to this thread, I just want to say I think it is a mistake to invest any single game with season-defining status, unless it's a game when you need a particular result to settle the season's outcome one way or the other mathematically. No way was yesterday's game season defining. Nor will the Villa game on Saturday be any more so. That way of thinking just reflects and also influences your own mindset, not where we will be come the end of the season.

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've been 'hungover/busy' so far today, but she great posts so far and I ONLY hope that the fans stay behind the team like we did against Citeh next Saturday, whatever the score/result.
    Look at Leicester a few seasons ago and in March, they were 'nailed on' for relegation and then went on to win something like 7 or 8 games out of 10!!!
    #keepthefaith

15. RiverEndRick

With Zimmerman and Hernandez due back in January and Trybull and Tettey due back after the international break we may be all right, but Lewis is worrying and if he's out for the season, a LB loan could be needed.

I agree with Robbie that no single game is season defining, but that said, a run of losses could begin to sap morale. The ManCity win was huge, but we could do with another at CR to lift spirits and stifle dissent. Our home performances have been great so far and another against Villa would make a huge difference before the international break.

JM Fan and canary on the weald like this.
  16. canary on the weald

canary on the weald Active Member

A disappointing result. I honestly thought we would get at least a point at palace. However, I still think the same as I did before the season began, it is mostly about how we do at carrow road. But we do need to find out how to nick the odd point or three away. Still think we will finish outside the bottom three though

Canary Rob, JM Fan and RiverEndRick like this.
  17. DUNCAN DONUTS

So you don't think our squad needs strengthening in January other than Rhodes on loan as a 4th striker in a 1 striker set up where Pukki if fit will play every game ?

OK I disagree

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

Max ?

19. RiverEndRick

I only mentioned Rhodes because of the developments in the article I included. With DF now seeing Srbeny in the Stiepermann role behind Pukki it's possible we could renew our interest in Rhodes if a loan deal is on. Drmic has had injury problems and if Pukki was to also be injured we'd be in trouble. The point was about what we might need in January, not now.

My main concern at the moment is Lewis, who could be out for some time if it's a break, so possibly a LB loan in January. Trybull and Tettey could be back after the international break, so I don't see us looking for a DM in January. It's possible we could look for a temporary loan to cover Klose's injury, but that looks like the only other possible need in January.