1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dallas Mavericks secure first NBA title with victory over Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Dallas Mavericks are celebrating after finally securing their first NBA title on Sunday evening with a 105-95 victory over Miami Heat.

The win gave the Mavericks a 4-2 triumph in the best-of-seven series 4-2.

Miami's star names of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh were tipped to level the series and take the Finals to a deciding match. But the form of Jason Terry and Dirk Nowitzki propelled the Mavericks to victory.

Notwitzki continued the outstanding form that has seen him averaging 26 points over the six matches, by scoring 21 points in last night's decisive win.

He was ably assisted by guard Terry, who weighed in with 27 points of his own.

Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said: "I don't think there's any doubt after this series that Dirk has certainly earned the clout of being one of the all-time great players.

"His versatility, how he's done it in the clutch. He goes one for 12 in the first half, and then in the second half he was just absolute money."

Nowitzki was part of the Mavericks team beaten by Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals. But he got revenge this time around.

Heat star James could not hide his disappointment. He said: "I've been in this league eight years. There's no distractions that can stop me from trying to chase an NBA championship. It hurts of course. I'm not going to hang my head low. I know how much work as a team we put into it."

Bosh was gracious in defeat and praised Dallas' performance throughout the Finals. He said: "Hands down, they were the better team in this series. They deserve everything that they've gotten.

"They had timely shots, timely offensive rebounds, they never got flustered. They just kept their composure and kept coming in waves. When it was time, they just stayed tight and they executed very well."

Nowitzki, picking up his first NBA title at the 13th attempt, said: “It feels amazing now to know that nobody can ever take this away from us and for one year, we’re the best team that was out there. That feels amazing.”

2. Lummiepie

Lummiepie Member

I have only just got in to the NBA after checking out the Knicks while in NYC.

I have instantly found myself supporting players rather than teams. I would say I back the Knicks just due to the fact I bought a shirt, but over this series I have really enjoyed watching Dirk. There is something lovable about his big dopey face.

He became a real hero of mine when he burst in to score the winning layup in with two seconds to go in game 4, he blasted past his man jumped (and when you watch the slow mo in HD) he has the biggest smile on his face as he releases the ball. He knew he had won it before he even let go. Brilliant!!!

I am of the understanding that Miami are the Man Utd/Chelsea that most people dislike because they have managed to aquire a group of top talent?

3. KingslandKate

KingslandKate Member

Lummiepie, I tend to follow players rather than teams too. I like Dwayne Wade, Ray Allen, Gerald Wallace of the Trailblazers, Kobe Bryant, John Wall of the Wizards, Amare Stoudemire (Mostly because of the ESPN NBA Bus adverts, hilarious!!) & Blake Griffin. Looking forward to my first full season next season.

4. Lummiepie

Lummiepie Member

Its pretty belting, I have spent the last week on Wikipeadea trying to make sence of the drafts and trades system. I think I have it now and am hoping the Knicks can get at least one extra starter for next year to try and be more of a force.

I have not watched enough games to have developed a proper list of my favourates based on skill or style, but I have a handful of players I know and take intrest in.

Amre Stoudemire - Mainly because he was clearly Knicks main man so thats who's jersy I bought.

Carmelo Anthoney - Based on the fact he was the firs big name player I ever took notice of, the fans were chanting for Knicks to sign him when I went so I googled him and followed the trade with real intrest. Melo also started well nailing some great buzzer beaters to win some games, really helped to get me hooked with how exciting a last second win can be.

Blake Griffin - Just an outstanding athlete, I saw him take the Knicks to pieces in the flesh, the Clippers won at MSG and it was him and his team mate Davies (5) that were the stars. I went right down to the floor and watched them warm up and took instant notice (I had never heard of him before) as he was doing some very showy dunks.

Timofey Moscov - I believe he went to the Nuggets as part of the Melo deal but on the day he was my favourate player. I will certainly follow his career now even if he is destined to only ever be average. Huge man, unstoppable when he is close enough to dunk.

Dirk - Real star of these finals, love that he is so dopey looking when 90% of players look bad ass. Like Scooby Doos Shaggy on roids.

Really looking forward to following it next year.

The idea of supporting a league is pretty odd to me as a football fan, but more than anything I am a fan of the NBA now.

5. Debbie of Texas

WAY TO GO MAVS......AM PROUD OF YOU!!! Dirk is a real... down to earth... kind of guy, with a very humble heart, and he has a natural God-given gift, when it comes to playing basketball, and love to watch him play.

6. Debbie of Texas

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...........but he must not be too boring....after all, his team won the NBA!

7. Reverend Ramsey

Didn't deserve too though.... yes i said it!

HEAT!:emoticon-0100-smile

8. aurae777

aurae777 Guest

Boring in sport usually interprets into steady and consistent. The thing I enjoyed most about Memphis in the playoffs was how I never knew what team would show up! I think the Heat choked a bit, they had a great chance to win the championship and they couldn't pull it out!

Of course with the lockout going on...not too sure if they will get a chance to get their revenge!

9. KingslandKate

KingslandKate Member

I can't believe this lockout. Sort it out already!!