1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Davide Santon

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Sultan Of Swing, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

I expect he'll be on the bench this weekend and into the team next weekend.
    From what I've seen we tend to introduce players gradually. Makes sense with this kid being young, don't want to over-burden him.

2. Beatski

Beatski Well-Known Member

coz he'll be upfront in the no 9 shirt?

3. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Do we start Santon right away or bring him on as a sub v QPR? Raylor's average but he's done a canny job.

4. Jesus Was A Geordie

Jesus Was A Geordie Well-Known Member

And until Cabaye gets back from International duty, he'll be the handsomest player around!

5. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Got to feel bad for Rob Elliot, arrives the same day Santon does and no one notices...

6. Jesus Was A Geordie

sub him for 2 reasons...Shows no-one gets into the name on name alone (as you said, Taylor has played well and doesn't deserve to be dropped) AND as he's a youngster with low confidence and little match practice recently, we don't want chuck him in at the deep end!

7. TheLittleGeordie

TheLittleGeordie Active Member

Will Barton be playing on the right for them or central?
    If he's out wide then it won't be a game where the left back is really tested as Barton won't look to dribble past him so may be a good game to introduce him

8. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Santon's in the Italy U-21 squad, Colo will keep all the bases covered for now.

9. NufcBano

NufcBano Active Member

Several words describe this signing; Unbelievable, Brilliant, Ambitious, Surprising, Suspicious.

Unbelievable: This kid is a genuine wonderkid of European football. He has been dubbed the new Maldini and could genuinely step into any Serie A club he wished, including most European giants.

Brilliant: We obviously need a left back so to replace the wantaway Enrique with a player with the potential to be better than him, for a lesser fee, is truly incredible. He can also play at right back so Simpson better start upping his game because Raylor is on fire.

Ambitious: This signing sends a message loud and clear to European football; NUFC are still a big club. Any future signings will look twice at NUFC as a genuine possibility to play their football just by looking at this signing as well as Ben Arfa and Cabaye. Signing a 20-year-old wonderkid is nothing but ambitious and very impressive for all the NUFC fans to lick their lips over.

Surprising: As I have already said, this kid could genuinely make it in any team he wanted in his native Italy, he is this highly praised. 'New Maldini' is a tag given to him by the highest of pedigree such as Jose Mourinho and Marcelo Lippi, which is high praise indeed. Also given the fact 99% of Italians usually stay 'home' within the Serie A and if they were to leave it would only be to a European Giant like Man Utd, Barcelona or a Bayern Munich, the fact NUFC have pulled this off is very surprising to say the least.

Suspicious: Not to put a downer on this but you have to ask the question 'Why?' has a young Italian 'wonderkid' decided to leave one of Italy's giants to come to NUFC. The obvious answer must be; The Premier League. Our league is genuinely the biggest in Europe and can draw the best of players to it. Another answer must be 'Wages'. You can assume we have gave this lad the maximum we can in regards to wages which is widely accepted as £50k a week. So for a 20 year old lad to get this for 5 years is an obvious pulling tool.
    It's worth noting that if this kid is to fulfil his potential then their is a threat he will outgrow our football club if we continue to be a mid-table side. So he could be using NUFC as a stepping stone in his career for a bigger move later on in his career. It is known that he was dropped from the team at Inter and has been criticised in certain games so he may need this fresh new challenge to resurrect his career. To be honest, even if he is just using NUFC as a stepping stone....I am not complaining! If he matches his potential in a Black n White shirt (that isnt Juventus) I am more than happy. Bring it on.
    It's also worth noting that NUFC have 'invested' in this boy. They know full well given his age, reputation and the transfer fee, that if he does leave us one day.....he will leave for a hell of a lot more than £5million!

I am glad we have finally got a full back in and the fact it is Davide Santon who all Football Manager players know is something very special indeed, I am surprised but over the moon!
    Finally a signing that matches the 'policy' NUFC insist on feeding us. Now, a striker needed please!! You have 24 hours!

10. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Pretty sure they're using him as a CM.

11. Jesus Was A Geordie

Good post, agree entirely!

12. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Guest

<applause>

13. Beatski

Beatski Well-Known Member

Captain bringdown strikes again, seeking out all the negative spin he can muster on such an excellent coup. :p

Apparently we offered him less wages than he was on at Inter (just a rumour though) and i doubt we're going to offer a 20yo our top bracket wage either.

14. NufcBano

NufcBano Active Member

Ha, if you can only see the negative in my post. Then you my friend are the negative one.

You ever heard of looking at things from every angle?

15. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Even at Inter, they wouldnt be paying him more than what we could match or better.

16. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Guest

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110830/santon-my-dream-move_2281670_2436823

17. Gutierrez's Right Boot

Gutierrez's Right Boot Well-Known Member

Anyone got doubts now

18. Snorlax

Snorlax Active Member

Didnt colo get an international call recently?

19. A November Night In Rotterdam

Has the Elliot deal been completed? Haven't heard any more about it since SSN said he was having a medical earlier.

20. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Guest

The only doubt I have is the time he's going to take to adapt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.