1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Deadline Approaching

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by WestCountrylalala, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If my memory serves me right,I think he said no to development.

Saving the club for the area is what he said, didn't he ?

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Yes I think he did say something like that, maybe I'm too cynical. But then, I don't think it's impossible for property development to sit well with a football club, especially where the developments are sports & leisure orientated - it all depends who's doing it. And they could be good for Plymouth as a whole.

One thing's for sure, the current crisis at Southern Cross nursing homes shows the dangers of property interests taking advantage of the underlying business - amongst other things.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

James Brent is devonian, he has also worked with Plymouth Council in the past.

He can see the value in a successful football club for Plymouth,Devon and the south-west peninsula, no other bidder would have known were Plymouth where without an atlas,OK slightly overstated but you get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

4. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

I get the business side of it DG but all other bidders/interested parties identities have not been with held. Brent ,Buttivant and Heaneys interests were openly known, I know Heaney withdrew due to publicity but think that was more due to his past financial failures drawing so much attention. Just too cloak and dagger for me and hardly the best way to get an already disillusioned fan base on your side. End of the day though we get what we get and I will still support the team however the ´sometimes´brigade I´m not so sure on.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Possibly Heaney's problem was in the potential dual interest in Truro City - their fans wouldn't have been too impressed by his involvement with another club and I suppose dual interests aren't allowed even when one's a non league club [Truro for the avoidance of doubt!].

I'm saying confidentiality or even secrecy is normal - and so it is - but of course very often, the fact that a business is for sale is a secret in itself to protect commercial interests and employees. That isn't the case here. I don't know why some allowed their identity to be known and others didn't when the existence of the sale itself is very public knowledge. It may be no more than habit, it maybe because they're Irish, who seem to me to veer between great informality and great rigidity in their business dealings. Or there may be something to hide - but I think that's the least likely - not impossible, but least likely.

Very frustrating for everyone, I know, after a very draining 6 months. I think none of us can wait for it all to be over and the football to restart with a clean sheet of paper.

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Point taken homepark_hobo but if & when 10 pts. will be deducted, probably not be a huge concern at start of season as should be one of the favorites to do well if we start, but will have to work hard to establish a play-off place in my opinion. But see what develops on the 14th. then maybe we will all have more positive thoughts.....:emoticon-0103-cool: