1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Declining Match Attendances

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by wpownall123, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

i know someone doing BA philosophy who is going to be a lawyer. you sit here (with no degree in all likelihood) saying its a crap degree, i'd like to see you get a 2:1 or 1st in it.

you wouldn't, by the way, PGF or Dai.

educational standards have dipped and more are going than ever, but remember that if you did crap at school and have never stepped foot in a decent university, you need to know your place in this debate.

2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

I have a degree - and I would easily get a degree in law. That's a fact for you <ok>

3. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

no, thats an assumption.

what / where was your degree?

4. Terror ball

Terror ball Well-Known Member

I've got all of these and I have a great big fat dick too...so ner :)

5. swans-cartoonhead

swans-cartoonhead Well-Known Member

Yes - because the law is so easy - what is your degree PGF? It must be a great one given your contempt for every other degree! 'I would easily get a law degree'!!! My God - you are so clever!

6. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Disagree here. I had flat mates/room mates who studied for a law degree and worked their arses off for it. Shame you have such contempt for degrees.

7. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

<laugh> <ok> point to PGF

8. swanseaandproud

<doh> It's not about whether degrees are good or not its a fact that there are far too many people have them now that render them worthless for the majority who have them. that is the issue. There are thousands of lawyers and solicitors working in bars and low paid jobs because there is not enough vacancies to cope with the demand. You can become a solicitor or any other qualification with letters after your name but if you are not practicing or actually employed in your chosen profession then them letters after your name mean jack ****...

9. PGFWhite

It's not contempt - it's a fact. Academics tend to be suited to particular types of subject depending on the learning processes required. Maths or the traditional sciences such as chemistry, biology or physics would be a different issue <laugh> The contempt shown in the last few posts is by graduates who appear to think they are super human because they have passed a few exams.

Problem solving techniques and/or the ability to apply learning, rather than the ability to pass exams parrot fashion, are far more valuable assets to an employer. (Before anyone jumps to conclusions I have not just stated that ALL exams can be passed by parrot fashion recital - but there are plenty that can).

There are many extremely clever lawyers. Conversely there are plenty of members of the legal profession who simply cannot apply the basic principles of their chosen profession. They have passed exams, but they are unable to apply their learning to the real world. Just because they are graduates does not mean they are clever people.

A degree of common sense goes a long, long way <laugh>

10. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

thats the basis of a law degree, which sets it apart from other humanities. if you aren't capable of thinking for yourself then you won't do very well. by the way, i could have done maths or engineering, i got A* GCSE and A at level Maths. before you say that means nothing, what did you get?

i bet in the good old days you were studying day and night and were much cleverer than the youth of today. like **** <laugh>

and you still haven't said what degree you did and in what institution. be honest, no porkies please <ok>

11. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

and dai, forget a micky mouse english degree, with the english and grammar that you display here, you'd struggle to get a B at GCSE english.

12. PGFWhite

Firstly you assume what I am going to say and then you bet what I am going to think. Try sticking to the facts and you may go further in your academic studies <ok>.

I am not going to give you the slightest bit of personal information - I quite frankly don't give two hoots that you may have an A* in any subject - it's irrelevant to the discussion.

You have the nerve to slate off Dai's use of English when, as quoted above, you produce a grammatically deficient post yourself. What did you mention about the youth of today <laugh>

13. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

what degree you did was clearly nothing to be proud of then. <laugh>

and thats if you did one, which i highly doubt.

as you are so paranoid i suggest you change your location that you have on your profile. i suggest to 'cloud cuckoo land' or 'up my own ass'.

14. ivoralljack

ivoralljack Well-Known Member

I must be really thick because I haven't got a degree in anything. :sad: Got yanked early out of school because my father died young meaning my mother had to go to work in a factory and I had to get a job to supplement our income as we were literally poverty stricken. I still went on to gain two professional qualifications, started my own professional services business and became a published writer etc.

What I do notice about today's education is that it is almost possible to gain a pass on course work alone - but it is almost impossible to know exactly who is responsible for this work; who actually did it. A close friend of mine was struggling with assignments designed to get her into nursing college. To my certain knowledge most of her course work was farmed out to friends and family and she got her pass. To this day, two poems (I hate poetry) of mine still hang framed in the corridors of a local school. My step-daughter was useless so I was prevailed upon, much against my wishes, to sort it out for her. I did a lot of work on her behalf and she got good grades in her exams. Wrong? Of course it is but I knew that other parents were doing the same for their kids, so I elected to even the playing field. Of my own children, one is a talented painter, she hates the term artist, and she got a 2:1 under extremely adverse conditions and the other recently obtained a First Class Honours degree patently refusing any help whatsoever from me. Clever bugger didn't need it. :biggrin:

When I sat exams, no course work of any description played any part whatsoever in your final mark. You had to study, learn and reproduce it all on the day of the exam with NO prior indication of what to expect on the day. 50% got you a pass and 49% meant the big F. Thing is, you had to study and learn/know your subject. You couldn't take your mother, father, auntie, uncle or friends into the examination room with you. You stood or fell on the amount of work you, yourself put in.

In my opinion this is why standards have dipped so alarmingly today. There are people walking about with degrees who never put in the work and have no right to them. There are people in jobs who are patently unqualified to do them because they were not the ones who earned the "qualification" to do them. And I mean no slur or disrespect to those who worked hard, put in the effort and earned their qualifications the proper way. Good for them.

15. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

to give you an idea about coursework ivor, it depends on the degree but for me it was 4 units, of which there was 25% coursework in one. there is no way of knowing whether that particular person did that work, though if it is of an unusually high standard, not in line with your previous grades, they make you explain it to a panel.

well done to your children for doing well, i'm the same with refusing help, it makes you work things out yourself! <ok>

anyway i'm done here, no doubt PGF will spout more crap after this post but it won't be seen by this highly educated observer&#8230;.<laugh>

16. PGFWhite

I think that clarifies everything about the current education system <ok>

17. swanseaandproud

I agree with ivor here....Left school on a friday started an apprenticeship on the Monday. No bullshit qualifications, no uni needed or wanted just learning to be in the real world of hard work. Joined the RN as a junior marine engineer and spent 19 years climbing the ranks to Chief petty officer marine engineer until i was finally invalided out after the Falklands war where i walked into a job of running my own business of managing the 7 houses i managed to acquire while in the navy.(i own more now) that gives me a tidy income plus a RN pension on top. ....And here we have someone like Swamp who don't know me from Adam slating me off because of my poor grammar who sounds himself like someone who has got no further in life than being a Chief Big Issue seller...<laugh>

18. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

i know someone who's trying to get in to the royal navy, but they keep rejecting him as he can't get a C at GCSE english. so if you left school in 2014 you probably wouldn't get in to the RN on the basis of your grammar.

its 2014, not 1974. you can't just leave school and start a job the next monday. nowadays a one man job is a one man job, not a three man job as it would have been in the 70's when businesses could lose millions a week subsidised by the taxpayer and dish out jobs left right and centre to illiterate cretins like you.

19. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Dai, no need to label swamp a big issue seller, and swamp, no need to call Dai a cretin.

20. swanseaandproud