1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic 'Del Boy' Dawson

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Interesting article on the front page of the Daily Telegraph's Business supplement today (Mon 11th).

Quoting from the Telegraph article.......Chris Dawson, founder of out-of-town retailer The Range,has revealed an audacious expansion plan to take his retail chain into Germany.

The Range,which Mr Dawson launched in 1989,has grown rapidly over the past few years to 149 stores dubbed "the working man's John Lewis".

He plans to add another 30 shops before Christmas,which he claims will see revenues rise to £1bn,up from £700m last year.

The Plymouth-born entrepreneur told the The Daily Telegraph he has been looking at expanding into Germany for the past 18 months.

"We are intensely looking at Europe and we'll take the fight to Germany," he said.

The Range boss, who compares himself to a real-life Del Boy following his climb from market stall trader to billionaire,said that he believed that Britain would vote to stay in the European Union.

My comments..........

Plymouth's own billionaire.....why isn't he interested in Football....he is looking at a £1bn turnover a year.......he makes James Brent look like a failing street trader....why oh why do we miss out to a genuine local billionaire who's small change down the back of the settee would see us with a 40,000 stadium and players that would get us into the Championship in no time.

Bleaging hell what a lousy weekend all round.....and then Monday morning I have to read that...:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:......ouch that hurt.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Each to their own I suppose, much as he hates football I dislike his tacky stores. Well done to him for making his fortune but tbh an not sure I would want him as Chairman/owner....there is more to life (and running a football club) than having a few shillings.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He couldn't compare to that nice gentleman Mr Brent who has nothing but Argyle in his heart.:emoticon-0119-puke:

I don't think I'd want him either but would like somebody with that sort of cash. Mr Dawson got where he is today with a bit of luck and on the back of people he employed but hated to pay. Wanted staff to work virtually for free and they had to fight him tooth and nail to get anything he owed them. I don't like his stores either and think he trades in tat. Germany is welcome to him.

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I dont go in his shops but i Think he has done extremely well considering how it all happened.. Would you pay his staff any more? Same as his Pal at Sports Direct.. pay peanuts.. Both junk shops that make a huge amount of money.. good luck to them i say..

5. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Wonder if they publish their tax returns next.. Get on with running the country and F!!K the tax returns.. :emoticon-0103-cool:

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He got lucky picking the bones of MFI. I just don't like his methods and the way he treats people. People like him don't have much in the way of a social concience so nothing you say would even register with them. He would watch plymouth burn and not raise a finger or care. The only loyalty is to himself. Best of luck to him with his Billions.