1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Derby game

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Apr 24, 2019.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I’m going! Bought my tickets today. Attyeo.
    Anyone else going?
    3rd home game this season. Probably the most important game since 2008 - and each subsequent game will be even more important!!

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Part timer <laugh><laugh><laugh>

3. Red Robin

What I don’t understand why is this game not sold out yet.
    Biggest game sine 2008 crazy.

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

But you keep saying that we will sell out if we do well

5. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

May be something to do with our home form this season, we haven’t exactly been the most exciting team to watch .

6. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

I'm going. This will be my 6th game this season. Can't say I've found any of them very inspirational so far. Maybe I've just picked poorly.

I'm not very confident about this game. I do think our poor home results recently will leave a lot thinking we are gonna blow it. Perhaps that's why some tickets haven't been snapped up yet.

Supcon72 likes this.
  7. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I think a draw is likely, which won't be a good result for us.....Hope I'm wrong as a win will put us right back in it!!

8. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

This might be the first match one might actually legitimately be able to call a ‘must win' game!

I’m trying to be kind of philosophical about it – we need to be able to beat teams of the calibre of Derby if we’re going to stand a chance in the playoffs (as we showed against Sheffield United and Middlesbrough recently), so this is as good an audition as any. My worry is that they’ll be perfectly average but be bailed out by a dubiously given Harry Wilson free-kick.

Irritatingly, we’re so close to being a very good side at this tier, but we just don’t take as many chances as we ought to – if Fammy and Da Silva were better finishers we’d probably have collected an additional two+ points over the past couple of games alone. I’ve been a defender of Fammy as I think he’s a handful and is suitably selfless, but he ought to be converting more, particularly headers from crosses.

I’m also wondering, what happened to Semenyo? He made some very encouraging cameos from the bench then he’s gone again. Not to undermine Matty Taylor’s contribution, but Semenyo maybe brings something a bit more different and difficult to defend against, which is what you’re after when you’re chasing a win.

9. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

It’s what we’ve missed both last season and this, the ability to do it on the big occasion, other than the cup games we’ve always frozen at the vital moment. Tomorrow we have a chance to put that particular record straight , I’m not sure we will.

I didn’t think we had a cat in hells chance of still having something to play for though so whatever happens tomorrow I won’t be too disappointed.
    I just hope we don’t bottle it, I do believe Lee sets up a tad too negative at home, I’d rather we fail tomorrow having at least played positive football, but I guess that’s why he’s a head coach and I’m not.
    COYR

10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City host sixth-placed Derby County in a match that could go a long way towards deciding who claims the final Championship play-off place.

City, who are currently one point behind the Rams in eighth, will be without Korey Smith after he was ruled out for the rest of the season.

Craig Bryson will be missing for Derby after sustaining an ankle injury during the late 2-0 home win over QPR.

Ashley Cole is out with a groin injury, but Duane Holmes could be back.

Match facts
    • Four of the last five Championship meetings between Bristol City and Derby have ended as a draw - City won the other 4-1 in September 2017.
    • Derby have not lost consecutive away league visits to Bristol City since losing there in 2009-10 and 2010-11 under Nigel Clough.
    • Bristol City are one of just two Championship teams to have won fewer points in home Championship games than away (32 home, 34 away), along with Middlesbrough.
    • Bristol City have only conceded four goals in the final 15 minutes of Championship games this season, fewer than any other team.
    • Derby are winless in eight away Championship games (W0 D4 L4) - only QPR (10) and Nottingham Forest (13) are currently on a longer run.
    • Harry Wilson's second goal against QPR for Derby in their last game - timed at 100 minutes and 11 seconds - was the latest Championship goal scored since September 2015 (Daniel Johnson for Preston against Derby - 102:13).

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

‘We’ve got to step up’ – Johnson
    Friday, April 26th 2019

The City head coach has called on his squad to rise to the occasion as they prepare to take on Derby County at Ashton Gate tomorrow (April 27th, 3pm KO).

Both sides are riding high in the Sky Bet Championship with the season’s end edging closer.

There are potentially six more games to go and it’s a challenge Johnson’s players are prepared for.

The head coach said: “We want to make sure whatever team we put out, and the subs, that they can affect the game in the best way they can.

“It’s a big occasion but that’s what you want. As a professional athlete, the challenge is to always bring out your best game in the most important moments. The players will be mentally ready and it’s important the supporters do their bit to encourage that as much as possible.”

Ashton Gate is set to be rocking with 24,500 tickets sold in advance of matchday, including more home seats available in the Atyeo Stand too, making for what promises to be an exciting fixture.

“We’ve got to step up to the occasion, that’s for sure.” Johnson continued. “It will be a great occasion and I’m delighted with the performances from players, supporters and the staff and we’ve got to keep it going keep the hammer down, bounce back from a difficult defeat but the renewed energy from the big crowd we expect will make a lot of noise at Ashton gate and roar the boys on.”

The players will also be buoyed after this week’s end of year awards with the Supporters Club & Trust and Senior Reds. The winners will be announced by the club in due course.

“There’s a lot of energy and positivity in the group," said Johnson It’s good to get the player of the year awards done as that brings a brightness and confidence to everybody. We’ve moved on from the last game and it’s all to play for with lots of football to be played.”
    https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/we-ve-got-to-step-up-johnson/

13. Red Robin

Niki back in I reckon needs two up front.
    Give it a go and attack.
    We don’t want to sit back like recent games.

14. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

What you mean like those last 4 games where we started with Fammy and Weimann? :biggrin:

15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

'Let's raise the roof' - Ashton
    Saturday, April 27th 2019

Good afternoon and welcome to the players, officials and supporters from Derby County.

What a season it’s been, with lots of thrills and spills. This is our 23rd home game in the Sky Bet Championship as well as the three Emirates FA Cup ties and a Carabao Cup fixture.

Your support throughout the whole campaign has been superb, with attendances up on last year, and you can make a real difference to the team’s performance as we

look to extend our season beyond May 5th.

This will be an important nine days for our club beginning today with this crucial fixture against our play-off rivals, followed by trips to Millwall and Hull respectively.

While we were disappointed with the result at Sheffield Wednesday, we are still very much in the mix with our destiny in our own hands.

I am extremely proud of how far we progressed this season but there is much more work to be done.

Today we are honoured to be joining more than 160 clubs across the UK taking part in Amnesty International’s ‘Football Welcomes’ weekend.

The initiative, which was started by Amnesty in 2017, celebrates refugees’ contribution to football and aims to highlight the important role football clubs can play in welcoming refugees into their local communities and helping them settle into a new country and culture.

Both ourselves and Bristol City Women will welcome groups of refugees – currently housed in the Bristol area – to this weekend’s games.

I would also urge you to go along and support City Women in their final match of the season on Sunday against West Ham United at Stoke Gifford Stadium at 3pm. Tanya Oxtoby’s side are currently sixth in the table and I know she and the players will be very appreciative of your support.

But back to today’s game and the part we can all play. Let’s really raise the roof at Ashton Gate and roar the boys on.

Enjoy the game.

Mark
    https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/lets-raise-the-roof-ashton/

16. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Not sure if this wind will benefit us or not. Could be a right pain in the arse.

17. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

If there was intelligence within the players, one, two touch passing would be the way to go and running into spaces......we're good at it for 20 minutes!!!

18. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

19. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Think LJ has picked the right side everything crossed COYR.

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Derby County: Roos, Tomori, Keogh, Wilson, Mount, Waghorn, Lawrence, Johnson, Bogle, Huddlestone, Malone.

Substitutes: Carson, Jozefzoon, Marriott, Evans, Bennett, Nugent, Macdonald.