1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Derby

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Reading deducted six PTS for breaking financial rules

2. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Just think if Derby had been in the bottom three & they didn't miss it by much, they would have now been heading for league 2 now

Ron likes this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So Wycombe are only claiming £6m from Derby. Meanwhile, Middlesbrough are claiming around £45m for beig cheated out of the 2018/19 play-offs

4. philhythe

As I said before the EFL are as much too blame as Derby for not enforceing the rules earlier

Ron likes this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agreed. The fans are furious and say it should be the EFL that are sued, not them

Personally, given that it's too late to change things, and given the team, manager and fans are not to blame, I think there is no other option than to sue the owner as it was he who cheated and dragged out the action to avoid relegation. The EFL should have been stronger and dealt with it last season but they didn't. One could argue that the EFL should compensate for their lack of action but I can't see that happening

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm surprised they have only gone for £6m as the estimated loss was £15m -£20m. I suspect they have assessed that is the only indisputable amount

7. philhythe

I know we moan about it on here because it really affected us, when you look at seriously it really affected the whole season for every team with Derby kicking off the start of the season on minus 21 who knows

8. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

TBH I’m not to fussed as I actually prefer a season winning most games rather than constantly losing.
    I do however see everyone’s point of view,
    Owners Wycombe - loss of money
    Gaz - another crack at the championship straight away
    Derby - surely would have lost Rooney, best players etc
    Owners Derby - hoping for a takeover to save them.

im sure I’m missing some pointers.

9. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

Obviously I am glossing over the ineptitude of the EFL and blatant trying to get out of it from Derby owners.

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Staying in the Championship was worth more than £6m to Derby's owner so I think the amount claimed by Wycombe is very reasonable and could be successful if pursued. Given the verdict on Derby, it is indisputable that the owner cheated to stay in the Championship with the aim of maximising the chances of attracting a buyer. It is also indisputable that it cost Wycombe relegation

Nothing against the team or fans and I feel sorry for them. And what a great response today from the players, coming frpm 2-1 down at half time to beat the league leaders 3-2. Well done to them

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

For info

upload_2021-11-22_13-16-10.png

Guywanderer likes this.
  12. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

I just read that Derby have lost over £1.2 Million since going into administration in September so their debt is getting worse which will surely put off potential buyers,let's see what happens when HMRC come calling for the £26 Million they are owed. <laugh><laugh>

13. philhythe

A report in the Daily Mail says Derby are heading for liquidation they owe £29 millon to the HMRC, £10 millon loan. The meetings with HMRC start next week & unless the tax bill is cut to a quarter of what the owe.

14. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

HMRC won't accept a 75% cut in what they owe or it will lead to other clubs taking the p*ss as well.

15. philhythe

That is exactly what the report said mowgli the report also mentioned the 50mill that Middlesborough & Wycombe are suing them for which added all together only comes to a cool £100m

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'll see what I can do

17. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

HMRC shouldn't accept less from Derby than the whole bill. After all it's owed to the Public Purse and as such it is Our money not their's. What kind of precedent does it set for other cases of failure to pay taxes if they let them off. I don't see that you can screw a factory owner or shop owner for a debt if you let another business off the hook. I have maintained for a long time that HMRC are just waiting to make a scapegoat out of a football club to teach the rest to live within their means and this is a perfect opportunity to do just that. We had to sell virtually every player worth a dime to cover debts when we hit the skids. It was the little people who took a big hit with local businesses getting almost nothing back. I don't think that's good either but they now trade with a solvent company who pays them so they are clawing some benefit back from not sinking us into oblivion. The Administration company put in a bill for several million for their work in overseeing the selling of the players and running of the club. Brent, who was the man who took us over refused to pay them anywhere near that which was the best decision made. They are like leeches.

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You must be very proud of your club greeny, now vying for a place in the Championship

19. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not proud of the fact they owed a lot of small businesses money Ron and they didn't get paid. However, if it wasn't for them taking the hit we would have gone completely. Our new Owner not the last one is the one to thank for where we are now. He has put his own money down and bought into the Infrastructure of the club making it a lot more self sufficient and will not spend more than the club can afford. He has said no more money from him but with what he has done we shouldn't need it. We are getting great crowds and the team are doing well. The football standard has improved greatly from Mr Adams days but we aren't really ready for the Championship just yet. I don't realistically expect us to go up this season despite the start. Give it a couple more years though and things might be a lot different as we are debt free. Not sure proud is the word I'd use but certainly well pleased. Especially when we were so close to losing it all.

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator