1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Derry pay day courtesy young Mc LEAN.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by billofengland, Feb 10, 2012.

1. billofengland

billofengland Well-Known Member

This is how the lower clubs have to survive, so good on you Derry, hope you get shedfulls more.

http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/sport/football/city_to_get_mcclean_bonus_1_3505446

IF as expected winger James McClean gets his first international call-up for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow (Friday), then Derry City are likely to receive another payment from Premiership side Sunderland.

The 22-year-old has been on outstanding form for Martin O’Neill’s side over the last few weeks and it’s thought that he may have done enough to force his way into Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad for their friendly against the Czech Republic later in the month.

City chairman Philip O’Doherty confirmed that as part of McClean’s deal across to the Black Cats involved a clause if the winger received any international caps.

“Yes part of James’ deal to Sunderland we have a clause in it stating we would receiving a certain sum of money if he received any international caps,” admitted Doherty.

“James is playing really well wait at the minute and I think they (Republic of Ireland) would be mad if they didn’t call him up for a friendly.”

McClean’s club manager Martin O’Neill also believes his man could get into the Euro 2012 squad.

“I’m not so sure you could ignore the talents, he’s done fantastically,” stated O’Neill.

“I’m quite sure he at least is giving food for thought to the Ireland camp.”

“Hopefully it’s not a flash in the pan. He’s played a consecutive number of games at a high level, done magnificently and that itself warrants some thought.

“I would have thought he would have given cause for contemplation. I can understand he [Trapattoni] has worked with those players for the last couple of years and done fantastically to get them into qualification.

“There is a sense that those players who have done it for him would be first on the list.”

2. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Worth every pound.

3. billofengland

billofengland Well-Known Member

With luck, and fingers crossed, Derry will make millions, but what will WE make ?

4. Black Cat Kiwi

Black Cat Kiwi Well-Known Member

Europe one day

5. froggy1973

froggy1973 Well-Known Member

So good to see Derry get some extra cash long may it continue it's good to be supporting lower clubs whilst helping ourselves.

6. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

He is our best value signing for some time. Even at 3 times his initial cost, he is a bargain.

He can only get better and to under Mon, he has every chance to succeed.

Good luck to the lad and Derry City as well.

7. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

its a pity no call up there loss <bubbly>

8. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

sorry i dont mean derry loss i mean rep ireland loss <bubbly>