1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Devonport Pilgrims v Chairboys 23rd Nov 21

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Well done with the result lads, just like us - a 3-0 away win <party>

Ron likes this.
  3. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Blue_Slasher likes this.
  4. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

A lot of football supporters can not accept that you can win 3-0 with just 34% possession. This time we also had nearly 50% success rate in getting shots on target. Whereas Plymouth was down to 25%

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A game is sometimes won by an opponent’s mistake. Errors, in Mourinho’s view are more likely to be made by the team in possession of the ball and he is therefore happy to give them the opportunity to present his teams with a gift and at the same time attempting to ensure that the game remains stalemated.

Mourinho’s Chelsea demonstrated this tactical aspect of possession when his side went to Anfield as underdogs in 2014, enjoyed just 27% of possession, but defeated Liverpool 2-0

Numerous high profile head to head meetings have fallen to the side that shuns possession, most notably Chelsea’s aggregate win over Barcelona in 2011/12 gained with just 20% of the ball and Real Madrid’s 5-0 aggregate trouncing of a Pep Guardiola led Bayern Munich at the UCL semi-final stage this year with less than 30% overall possession.

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have said many times it isn't how much you have the ball it's what you do with it when you do have it. We were wasteful and it is as simple as that. We looked tired and often played as if we were. My comment that it wasn't really a 3 - 0 game was more that we weren't 3 goals worse than you even though the result was fair and square. Not sure where you get the shocking off side decision from Guy. I sit right opposite the 18 yard line and I didn't see one wrong off side decision for either side all evening. Can't really see what point the tweet in your post is meant to show. It hardly puts your man onside.. I know I joke about the length of games with you but if you watched the game then you must know that the Ref could have added another 10 minutes on to that one more than he gave. The first half stoppage was down mainly to our player but to be fair he did dislocate his kneecap so he was hardly going to run it off. Your players took an age to restart if the ball went out of play almost from the start of the game. In the second half there was a stoppage every few minutes almost with one or another of your players hitting the grass. Most of them were clearly not for an injury. One bloke took ages to be resuscitated having sat on the grass for a good 5 minutes or more. He struggled to his feet and was led off the pitch in slow motion. Once he crossed the line he jumped in the air a couple of times and sprinted down the touchline past the stretcher that was brought around for him and then sprinted back onto the field seconds later. Now it is clear that your Manager does encourage this. But, the tactics work for you and that is clear by the results you get. Is it wrong? Well that depends which side of the fence you sit. Other teams waste time so some of it is part of the game but Wycombe do seem to do it a lot more. I guess though that supporters kind of don't mind so much if they are winning more than losing. It isn't the job of Wycombe to go away from home and entertain the locals it's their job to get points on the board. Would I want to watch it week in week out well I have to be honest and say no. No sour grapes from me. The Wycombe curse for us is alive and well and we didn't score and you did so it is obvious who deserves to win the game with that fact alone.

Ron likes this.