1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Did anyone else see a newcastle player touching the ball on its way into the net ? It was offside!

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by sniffer1, Jan 23, 2022.

1. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Is it that big a revelation in the drugs capital of south east asia?

Irishshako likes this.
  2. milkyboy

yes, we didn't have the best angle but if you compare positions by freezing the screen at point of contact and then looking at the side on still showing them clearly on... you can see they're the same moment.

And as i am having to say repeatedly to all the boss-eyed old gadgies on this thread :emoticon-0105-wink:... the attacker didn't touch it - so we would be into the realms of interfering with play again <laugh><laugh> ... which he was before anyone asks!

3. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Will Gary be there. If so I have an LP to get autographed.<ok>

Jammy 07 likes this.
  4. Irishshako

He did touch it though. You can see the ball change direction ever so slightly.<ok>

5. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Wasn't he in Vietnam or Cambodia maybe ?

Your not saying they all look the same are you <laugh>

Irishshako likes this.
  6. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Why do I need to compare positions Milky, I'm saying that as far as I am concerned the two players were onside, using the angle I am looking at, thus I was not surprised VAR gave the goal. I am comfortable with the decision made

Irishshako likes this.
  7. Jammy 07

What about if you were refereeing a team of notorious thugs Aski ?

Would you clamp down early to try and control the game...or just maybe think twice and decide getting out of there alive would be a better course of action ?

8. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

To be honest I was a fairly lenient referee. However I have mentioned this before, about how as a ref, I can make different decisions regarding the same incident in two different games.

Thus in a game where tackles are flying in, players are walking on the thin line of bookings, I am concentrating on what I consider to be the major incidents, thus something like a goalkeeper not releasing the ball in a timely manner becomes a small infraction in context to how the rest of the game is going.

In a game where the game is proceeding in a fairly sporting manner, nothing major happening from a ref point of view, then I have the time to concentrate on those irritating minor incidents, such as players stealing yards for free kicks and throw ins, or keepers not releasing the ball as quickly as they should.

So I could be classed as being over officious one week for being petty over incidents, whilst the next week I could be described as being fair and allowing the game to flow., to being described as weak and unable to control a game :)

I will admit when being assigned to a game, and seeing the teams involved, that I've just hoped for an incident free game, so I can just get off the pitch. However once on the pitch something in your head kicks in and you just ref the game as best as you can and hope that you dont F**K up.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    Brizzlewhite and Jammy 07 like this.
  9. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Just as an example to the above Jammy, I was assigned a game with a team who had had a player sent off in their last 3 games.

Game was played and ended without any trouble. Later that night a friend asked me how many did I send off, and I said none.

They had another player sent off in the next 2 games after that.

So did I ref my game poorly, did I miss stuff. I have no idea, but neither manager of that game gave me a poor rating , so I would like to think I got most decisions correct. In which case what was happening in all the other games to produce red cards.

In the same season, my best mate had the distinction of only issuing one red card all season. The player he sent off was the only sending off that team received all season.

One of the older refs told me when I was going through my qualification, that he always issued a yellow card in the first 5 minutes of a game, no matter what. He would then state he never issued a second in a game, and whilst I am sure that some of that is bravado, and if I had checked the records, I'd find out it wasn't true, there was something about how the guy conducted himself, you could believe that it was true

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  10. Irishshako

<laugh>:emoticon-0127-lipss

11. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

12. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

FFS! It did! How do you think I got to see the VAR decision on the tv?

Eric Le Merde and Aski like this.
  13. milkyboy

so am i fella. I was addressing this comment:

“The problem with the goal on Saturday, is that from a tv viewers point of view, we didn't have the best angle to make an informed decision on the actual play. “

14. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Fair enough Milky, guess I just felt your suggested solution in response to one line of a post, seemed like a lot of effort, given that I was satisfied with the decision anyways :)

15. milkyboy

Andy you’d be right if it was directed to you… … we both had already made it clear we thought it was onside… I only included your post because of that quote but it was aimed at others.

I was too lazy to clarify that and subsequently we’ve both wasted time we’ll never get back… for which you have my unreserved apologies!

Aski likes this.
  16. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

No worries Milky, guess with the post being quoted, I read it as being directed at me.

I don't class it as wasted time, because it's good to talk and understand where people are coming from , and I am always up for a discussion so no need to apologise, I was just seeking clarification :)

17. milkyboy

best tell those boys at opta’s goal accreditation panel quick so we can get the goal taken from shelvey!

seriously bud it’s very difficult to tell from the tv angles, I believe the ball was swerving and dipping and he didn’t touch it. And I genuinely can’t believe he wouldn’t have claimed the goal at the time or subsequently.

But hey, all good. We all see things differently <cheers>

Irishshako likes this.
  18. Irishshako

Fair enough Milky, we'll leave it at that. It's been done to death, by myself included. Roll on the next match.<ok>

19. milkyboy

<laugh><laugh> Yeh, must be a slow news day… we’ve wrung every last drop from this one <cheers>

Irishshako likes this.
  20. Jammy 07

Yep, it's old sniffer who'll be having the last laugh on this one.

Still 2 weeks until the next match though so I'm sure he can come up with another whopper.