1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dion Dublin out of order!

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by GreatWesternGas, Dec 6, 2020.

1. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or do others feel the same? In reference to some of the booing that took place during the 'taking the knee' at Millwall yesterday, he later stated on MOTD that 'anyone that doesn't agree with players taking the knee, is racist'. Who the hell does he think he is? I personally don't agree that this act does anything to lessen the problem of racism in this country. if anything it exasperates it, as it antagonizes people like me that think it's wrong and unneccessary, BUT Mr Dublin, that doesn't make me a racist, and I strongly object to being labelled as one. This country and the powers that be have allowed us get into a state where anyone that is white and born in this country either apologises for being so, or gets labelled as being racist, if they don't openly support the actions and opinions of groups with agendas that differ from our own. I treat people as they treat me, and the colour of their skin doesn't enter into the equation - what a shame that certain sections of our society can't do the same, but would rather cause unrest and insist on continuously 'banging the drum'. I'm simply curious to know if I'm alone in feeling like this, or if others feel similarly.

Quilllogic likes this.
  2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

We already know why the players are taking a knee. It is to show a form of solidarity for footballs fight against discrimination.

Its a public statement and it will still continue to happen while there are issues in the game and I personally agree with any public statement to fight against all forms of discrimination, regardless if I think those actions are working or not. It is better than doing nothing. For example... a kid is watching a game on TV and see's the players take a knee. He doesn't understand so he asks his dad. What gets said next is crucial. So if it helps and educates some, it is working, regardless if others like it or not. I think we all would agree that more needs to be done in conjunction with it as taking a knee on its own is not enough if nothing is happening to stop discrimination in the background.

The recent cock up by the FA chairman Greg Clarke using the wrong language shows education is needed from the top down.
    Im seeing so many racist tweets aimed at black players on twitter. Why? Because the player missed a chance to score for your team. Or scored a goal against your team. Or got sent off. The stuff I seen aimed at Arsenal's Pepe just a week ago for getting sent off was shocking. Of course its keyboard warriors but due to social media, racism is getting worse and worse because its a platform where you can say and do what you want while being anonymous. People are not born racist or with discrimination. Its what they learn and pick up. Education is needed but some won't want to be educated.

Black history month was recent. In my kids school, all they learnt about was the slave trade. That is the same every year. Black people in chains being slaves. How it started, what the conditions was like, how they were treated and how it ended. Nothing on all the great things black people achieved and the great things they have done throughout that period and since the slave trade ended. Nothing on the like of... Mary Seacole, Harriet Tubman, Mary Bowser, Ida Wells (similar story to Rosa Parks but over 70 years earlier), Alice Ball and there are many many more brave, bold leaders with inspirational stories that shine positive outcomes that should be learnt.

Anyway, back to taking the knee. I understand the question - what is taking the knee actually changing? Yes, racism is getting worse in the UK since taking the knee started in our game. It has really irritated a lot of people. Being irritated by it doesn't automatically make you a racist person. There will be different reasons why people are irritated. Some think its ran its course and changed nothing so should stop doing it. Some will think it should stop as its made things worse. Some are irritated by it because they are racist. I think we all can agree with that. Issue is, those irritated by taking the knee who are not racist, will be tarnished along with the racists, which unfortunately is what Dublin has done. He has concluded that those who make a fuss over 22 players showing a display against discrimination for just 8 seconds and those who disagree with actions against discrimination, such as taking the knee, are racists. So he is making the point, why be upset with fighting discrimination for 8 seconds. Its a good point but his conclusion is off the mark tarnishing everyone with the same brush.

That's where I stand GreatWesternGas <ok>

MassiveAttack and Bluebaldee like this.
  3. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Twenty plus clubs did not bend the knee at the weekend games including AFC Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers

Will try to find the full list in todays press and put them on later

Paper has vanished full list in todays Telegraph sports section

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  4. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Sensitive subject this and I've thought carefully about my response. I think that what those knuckle-dragging Millwall fans did by booing players taking the knee was disgusting. Their excuse for doing so was that they don't agree with Black Lives Matter and the politics around that, but this shows their ignorance as taking the knee pre-dates BLM - Colin Kaepernick did it to protest about racial inequality way before George Floyd's death and the rise of BLM.

There is still a significant minority of people in this country who are just straightforward racists who judge others solely on the colour of their skin and not their worth as individuals or their character/actions. Some of these people attend football matches. Many more are hurling racist abuse on social media. This is disgusting in this day and age and there's no excuse for it. I partially agree with Dion Dublin in that, from his perspective, he views taking the knee as a stand against racism so those who boo this act are booing players standing against racism. Imagine being a black player and having to endure the foul abuse some of them get on social media, and even sometimes in stadiums? Must be soul-destroying. I think Dion went a little over the top accusing everyone who doesn't agree with taking the knee as racist, but from his perspective (and mine) the act of taking the knee isn't pro-BLM, it's anti-racist.

"This country and the powers that be have allowed us get into a state where anyone that is white and born in this country either apologises for being so, or gets labelled as being racist, if they don't openly support the actions and opinions of groups with agendas that differ from our own". With respect, I don't agree with this statement GWG - as a white man I've never felt that I have to apologise for being so. In fact, I frequently get accused of being "woke" (whatever that's supposed to mean) if I support anti-racism stances online - as if being against racism is somehow a bad thing. Bonkers.

For me it's all about respect. If some players wish to make a statement against racism by taking the knee then they should be able to do so without being booed. Just imagine if you're Millwall's Mahlon Romeo (son of Jazzy B from Soul2Soul for a little bit of trivia!) and your own fans are booing you for standing up against racism? If people can't do that then they should stay out of football stadiums. There's no room for this racist crap in modern Britain - judge people by their character and actions not their ethnicity.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  5. old timer

I believe that EVERY person is entitled to be treated with respect whatever colour, faith or belief that person holds.

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I've tried to do the same.

7. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and responses - I'm pretty sure we are all singing off the same hymn sheeet regarding the injustice and unfairness of any form of racial abuse, and that comes as no surprise tbh, I think the main issue is that I took Dion's comments too personally and allowed him to get under my skin. I still think he was wrong to make a sweeping statement like he did, but in hindsight, I wish I'd let it go over my head now, rather than take offence at it. By the way Bluebaldee, what the heck does 'being woke' mean? Never heard of that expression before, and can't fathom it out from the initials either! Anyway, onwards and upwards for progress at Orient tonight.:1980_boogie_down:

8. old timer

Woke is an African-American vernacular expression stay woke whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues

The above supplied by Wiki

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<ok><ok>