1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Distancing special - keeping fit at home

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Further to my post above, it was stated in the national papers that in the space of two months, 25,000 Australians had taken up a musical instrument and that guitars, especially the more budget savy models, has sold out across the country.

The norn was approximately 300 instead of the actual 25K...................Amazing!

kiwiqpr and Steelmonkey like this.
  2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Got myself a PT/coach (a fellow QPR fan) as I was losing motivation massively and not getting much out of my minimal workouts away from the gym and doing very little apart from those 40 minutes here and there.

Best thing I’ve done for a long time as it forces me to do a proper programme. 4 full body sessions per week increasing the load/reps each week. Also tracking calories religiously now with the goal of staying around 2400cals and 180g+ protein. The protein is easy enough but surprisingly difficult to stay to the calorie limit especially on training days.

Aiming for 10000 steps a day too which is easy enough when I force myself to do it but would have so many days of doing **** all on the laptop all day if I wasn’t thinking about it.

kiwiqpr and sb_73 like this.
  3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Nice one. I wonder why people bother with the 10,000 steps though. It’s just a number, you are better off doing 30 minutes brisk walking, but if you are doing 4 big training sessions a week I don’t think a few steps will make much difference. Standing up and walking around for five minutes an hour if you are stuck at a desk bit more useful I suspect.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  4. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Guess it’s good to have something quantifiable. 30 mins briskly is probably about 4500. MyFitnessPal reckons the 9293 I’ve done so far today burned 256 calories so it adds up to do an extra few thousand here and there. It’s a pint, essentially.

kiwiqpr and sb_73 like this.
  5. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

still out on bike. Only short journey today probably 12 miles, however yesterday was interesting. Took a route I normally do then diverted. I estimated that I was cycled for 2 hours mainly through forest and woodland and my legs........not had a workout like that in ages. I did roughly 28 miles. Cycled Monday as well as Sunday but also did a fair amount of lifting boxes around at the storage unit as I want to eventually get rid of it.
    Need to something......not only for physical health but mental health as well.
    Stay safe everyone

kiwiqpr, sb_73 and Didley Squat like this.
  6. Didley Squat

Ninj,
    Good to hear your keeping fit but hope you don’t get an infringement notice for texting while you cycle ......... ok, l’m going now.:emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    kiwiqpr and Ninj like this.
  7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Mrs SB had just had great fun playing with the clippers (also BaByliss, but purchased later in the great lockdown so obviously £20 more than your ones Strolls). Have to say she has done a good job, 3 at the sides and 4 on top, I feel quite lightheaded.

I’d come here again, but I wasn’t offered anything ‘for the weekend’. Plus she is now speculating on using the clippers on Stan, the effete cockerpoo, who is in even more desperate need of a haircut than I was. Don’t think my self respect can be maintained if I frequent a barber/dog groomer combo, using the same tools on both sets of clientele.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    kiwiqpr, Didley Squat and Steelmonkey like this.
  8. Didley Squat

SB,
    I would continue to frequent your new place of 'hair monitoring' on the basis that ..........

* On arrival, you are provided with a beverage of your choice.
    * The dog remains second in queue.
    * Your not thrown a dog biscuit and patted on the head for sitting still during the ordeal.

Below, is what l bought ............. The round discs thingy with plastic teeth can be wound down to the desired setting.
    As mentioned, the attachment next to it is what Mrs Squat uses to correct my attempts of sabotage.

upload_2020-5-22_7-4-8.png

kiwiqpr likes this.
  9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Just done a 5km run. It appears that the entire world is now exercising, which is good. What is not so good is the way that some people have now decided that, because the government says that you can now exercise in a group, they have to exercise in a group. In particular I am referring to the group of five thirty something women who have obviously been spending lockdown sunbathing. Some messages to them:
    - riding a bicycle at 2 miles an hour is not going to help you lose the weight you so obviously need to loose. Try a diet and some proper exercise.
    - nevertheless I’m grateful for the vision of zeppelins flying in formation in Lycra, it will live with me for some time, though one viewing will be enough, thanks
    - social distancing means keeping your distance from everybody, not just the other people in your group
    - it will help your civic duty to social distance if you RIDE YOUR ****ING BIKES ON THE ROAD NOT THE PAVEMENT which is extremely irritating as well as being illegal and dangerous. It’s just about acceptable for small children, not the front five of Harlequins scrum.

To my own amazement I simply jogged on with no comment, just a small sigh.

10. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

It always amazes me how quickly the body loses fitness. Weighed myself about two or three weeks ago and was slightly shocked...10kg over what I expected so now running (6.5km) or cycling (for about 2 hours) every other evening and doing press ups and sit ups at home the other evening. Nice to get out the house and beautiful riding round Paris on a nice evening (see pictures thread).

Didley Squat, Ninj and sb_73 like this.

11. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

I managed to lose 5kg without seeking out exercise
    Can only put it down to helping the wife in the garden and the fact that I didn't go to the pub for six or seven weeks
    Still drank but just not before five
    Also maybe the craft beers maybe better for you as I drank less of the mass produced stuff

Didley Squat likes this.
  12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

But its also amazing how quickly you can gain fitness. Pre lockdown I used to go to the gym twice a week or so, nothing strenuous, but I haven’t run/jogged outside consistently since my twenties - I’m now 59. Early April I foolishly ran 5km with no build up/prep - took about 30 minutes but with considerable damage to ankles and knees, which ached and twinged for days. Then took a more sensible approach, running for five minutes walking for three going out every other day, and just did the straight 5km once a week. For the last week have run the straight 5 every time, and today set a PB of 24:54 mins. I am inordinately pleased with myself and slightly stunned. Now I have to decide whether I just try to maintain where I’ve got to, try to go ever faster or add distance. Maintain is the sensible option I think.

13. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

Excellent work mate. Congratulations. I need to take a leaf out of your book.

sb_73 likes this.
  14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Thanks Woody. Also doing a few of your exercises every morning, and finally got a pair of dumbbells delivered. A bit of exercise, eating well, drinking well but moderately, not tuning in to the news all contribute to decent personal nick. Shame about the country.

15. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

I know, it’s a disaster. Great though that you have had the discipline and sense to get going and adjust accordingly. I’m inspired.

I never enjoyed running, was always a laboured runner, certainly not a natural and never particularly enjoyed it, hence haven’t run in 10+ years. Perhaps some 20 minuters are on the cards.

I was on a ridiculous run of working out every day until recently, had done so for pushing 9 months, inc Xmas day and when I was ill in December. Absurd, I know, I knew it was wrong. Circumstance dictated that that came to an end recently and I rediscovered the magic and benefit of rest days. I then put my pull up bar back up, and the workouts have gone to another level.

sb_73 and daverangers like this.
  16. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

I have to confess that I do not enjoy running unless I am training for something or was playing football. When I played badminton regularly, running was part of my own training program. However I have not done any running but have been cycling (mainly off road fortunately have some very good off road tracks near to my home).
    A question to the runners: how do you motivate yourself/ Do you time your runs, go on calories burnt or are your training for something. Ideally, having seen two school mates run 10k's (and they haven't run before this year), how do you motivate yourself? I need to mix up what I do with the resources available and as I cannot cycle at present (wrist is in a support cast ) I need to do something for body and for mental health.
    Any advice is welcomed

17. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Was doing well over lockdown with a 3 to 5k jog once a week and cycle ride most days with my first over 100k ride last week.

75k into Saturday's ride when, I was rear ended by a car. Catapulted forward and landed on right shoulder resulting in complete dislocation of collar bone at shoulder end. Painful.

Police and ambulance brilliant as ever as was the hospital team.

I'm glad I always cycle with front and rear cameras which I hope will show he was at fault. When legal issues settled, I may post footage on here.

Challenge now will be not to lose fitness despite crocked shoulder.

Keep exercising but keep safe too!

18. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Sore one! Get well soon

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I don’t think I’m qualified to give advice on running, given that I’ve only just started again after a few decades off. As for motivation, it was originally through gritted teeth as I can’t say the idea of a run fills me with joy, but it was because of the absence of alternatives because of lockdown. I’m not a great fan of cycling, and unless you are bombing uphill with maximum effort it uses less energy than running, so you have to do it for longer. Plus as RTID shows, it’s ****ing dangerous. My motivation is getting it done and feeling smug about having done it, I’m not training for anything. I have to say though, measurable improvement is a great bonus. Just time myself over 5km.
    ****ing hell, what a bastard thing to happen. Take care and heal fast mate.

Ninj likes this.
  20. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member