1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Distancing special - keeping fit at home

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

After being a pretty much constant 13st for about 20 years, I seem to have put on half a stone. Not dramatic, but annoying.

I don't deal in kgs.

Didley Squat likes this.
  2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

That is seriously impressive sir, well boasted. Any more to go, or at target?

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Less impressive, but congratulations anyway.

Do you also charge for your services in guineas?

4. Stroller

How many miles to the gallon does your car do?

Edit: Of course, what I should have said is 'how many kilometres to the litre'.

Didley Squat likes this.
  5. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

More a sign of how much **** I’d eaten since buying my own place.

Gets harder to lose it without losing muscle mass but more than halfway to my long term target now.

sb_73 likes this.
  6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Know what? I genuinely don’t know. It is odd that we still calculate mileage economy using gallons while we buy the petrol in litres. The numbers would be scarily low per litre I suppose.

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It’s worth the effort Windsor. I lost the same amount, going from 84 kilos to 72 about 4 years ago. I had to do it because I was a skinny bloke with a fat gut and a bloated head, a high risk combo. I was lucky, the weight fell off me simply by eating more healthy stuff and virtually no bread, no calorie counting. Only wish I’d done it 20 years earlier.

8. Stroller

You also said you were 6ft on another post. I think it's perfectly in order to pick and choose our imperial from our metric.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Touché. Of course it is.

10. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Fair play Sb, you have achieved some impressive times. well done.
    Me? I’m still running. Can’t see me going past 5k tbh. But I’m getting between 27/28 mins 5k and happy with that. I damaged my lower vertebrae many years ago and kept away from running, but I think maybe it has strengthened some of the muscle in the area. I’m not sure how much I enjoy the start to running, but I do enjoy the finish and the achievement.
    Have also changed my eating habits and now only eat two meals a day, breakfast and dinner, with the dinner around 3-4pm. I don’t eat bread very often, but do look for carbs on a running day. Have lost about 8kg and would be happy if I lose another 3kg and stay there. I could do to mark out days without alcohol to be fair - so that’s my next challenge :emoticon-0101-sadsm

Staines R's, Didley Squat and sb_73 like this.

11. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Since July 13th when I started the virtual race I’ve traveled the equivalent from Lands End to Wigan..about 372miles.
    Been great motivation to get out there and setting a few PB’s along the way.
    If it goes ahead I’m looking at doing an ‘Ultra Marathon’ 31+ miles from dawn till dusk (about 8 hours)...then Winter Tough Guy in February.
    Never felt fitter in my life

Didley Squat, SW Ranger and sb_73 like this.
  12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

From earlier in the thread, how are the blood sugar levels mate? With the work you are putting in I would expect your pre diabetes assessment to have receded massively.
    For the booze I have experimented with a whole range of low alcohol beers. It’s tough because my wife will have a glass or two of wine every night (and who can blame her living with me) so it’s always there nice and chilled in the fridge.

Now, I am not going to claim any great things for the low alcohol beers as a substitute for real beer, but some are acceptable drinks with dinner, especially as I don’t really like any soft drinks (except water, tea and coffee). The genuine 0.0% ones, which tend to be the big brand name beers, are all genuinely revolting. Some of the 0.5% alcohol ones (still count as alcohol free, apparently) are passable. I like Clausthaler from Germany, Brooklyn lager and Marks and Sparks Czech Lager 0.5%.

SW Ranger likes this.
  13. Staines R's

Im hoping the is gonna help mate...don’t think I’ve gotta have another test for a few months. Been recording my diet as well and making subtle changes, like having less sugar, having wholemeal bread instead of white etc.....if this doesn’t work then I guess it’ll be a statin

sb_73 likes this.
  14. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Probably not as impressive as the Olympic standard runners :), but I usually walk around 30 miles per week on average.
    This week it's nearer 40 miles.

Excellent for my cardiovascular system according to the GP.

sb_73 and SW Ranger like this.
  15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Special Olympics for me.

No offence meant.

Correct me if I’m wrong Col, but don’t you work outside a lot of the time (not today I hope, it’s stinking out there where I am)? I probably wouldn’t be doing anything exercise wise except for walking the dog if I had a more active job. With this enforced permanent working from home I could quite easily sit at a desk all day except for trips to the kitchen, which could genuinely prove fatal.

16. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I was joking with the Olympic bit. I'm seriously impressed with the running.

Yes, I'm working around 3 - 4 days a week now and I am outside most of the time. Not really involved in birds of prey now, but love being outdoors.

I also could be in medical trouble if I didn't try to control my blood pressure etc, as brain aneurysms run in the family.

sb_73 likes this.
  17. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

As previously mentioned, l can’t run but as a tradie, over the past couple of weeks, l’ve been climbing in and out of scissor lifts, lifting 3m sheets of plasterboard up over a metre high railing onto an elevated wall, trying not to drop them 4m to the ground below.

Racing up and down stairs, carrying bags of plaster, lengths of timber etc is a daily ritual of late.

My son, who has worked with me for many years and is a brilliant tradie, left when co-vid19 came into play, being that we all had to take whatever slim pickings of work we could find.

Now, working by oneself, at 59 and with chronic arthritis throughout the whole body, it’s a bloody struggle each day and by the time l hop into my Ute each afternoon, l’m crippled to the max. Just to release the handbrake is a major struggle but l keep telling myself that there are people out there a lot worse off than myself, which there is.

l’m not too shy to say l’m proud of what l am able to achieve each day but seriously wonder how long l can keep this up.

Anyway, that’s a typical day for me, hence the reason l refrain from any further exercise once the workday is over.

l marvel at you people who can go for a jog and the feelings of wellbeing you must gain from it.

SW Ranger, rangercol and sb_73 like this.
  18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

My lad, a joiner/builder, is between jobs at the moment, just doing a bit of helping out here and there. He is working out manically, because he misses the sheer physicality of building work. The weeks he works he is too knackered to run or play with weights.

You don’t need to exercise Aussie, your job does it for you.

SW Ranger, rangercol and Didley Squat like this.
  19. Staines R's

Its funny how much better you feel when you knock the booze on the head. I used to drink about a third to a half a bottle of vodka on my days off, and from about 8pm once kids had gone to bed I’d get steadily more pissed and wake up feeling groggy and crap.
    Now I very rarely drink at home and it’s worked wonders for my weight and energy levels. When I do have a blow out now (very rarely) I’m pissed after a couple of large ones. Well worth the effort if you can SW

SW Ranger, rangercol and sb_73 like this.
  20. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Good to read through this and see the progress...I have got my 10km time down by a few minutes, and can run 5km in just over 26 minutes. Lost around 8kg since pre-lockdown. My dad put this in perspective yesterday, when he told me to go and pick up 8kg worth of weights, and imagine running while carrying them. Quite eye opening!