1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do you still have faith in Poch ?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Hoddle is a god, Oct 20, 2019.

?

Do you still have faith in Poch?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2019.
  1. Yes

63.3%
  2. No

36.7%
  1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

My comment was very much tongue in cheek...I'm sure I had this guy underneath my post

<whistle>

I didn't mean it

Dier Hard likes this.
  2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Fair point but I’m a Spurs fan and don’t really care about what’s going on with City. Plus Pep is Pep and like PNP said, that’s what he does.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I didn't say it, it was Spurlock, but I do agree with it.
    Players know what they've signed up for by going to City with Guardiola at the helm.
    You'll get paid a ton of money, win plenty of trophies and he'll probably move on after a few years and be replaced by a big name.

Joining Tottenham under Pochettino is different. You're there for a long-term project, generally speaking.
    Having the guy in charge of that project talk about leaving undermines the whole vision of it.

KingHotspur likes this.
  4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

i) If it's true it's a shame he never signed it, if it's not then... well.
    ii) I think he more or less sums it up, he's at a stage in his career where he can't look long term, that can take many things into consideration - will he want to stay in the Prem at his age? Will Spurs/ Poch still want him? etc. The fact that as of Sept this year he's quoted as saying he'd sign a new deal if offered is great news in my opinion.
    One thing's for sure though, he is certainly not like Sol Campbell.

So essentially people have said the formation switch AND Eriksen helped change the game? Essentially we're both correct on that then would you not say?

As for Winks, reading that, it seems I was right to blame him and that taking him off for Eriksen solved our problems. Bingo ;)

NEXT

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

A centre back publicly states that he'll sign a new contract but doesn't when one is offered is not like another centre back who publicly stated he'd sign a new contract yet didn't when one was offered. Errm, about that...

And, no, what people were saying is that we were playing far too narrow with the diamond and that was making it comparatively easy for Villa to thwart our attacks, but not that easy as we still managed at least three great scoring chances in the first half with Kane missing two and Lucas putting one too close to the keeper. By changing the formation in the second half it gave us more width and we were stretching Villa's defence with comparative ease due to giving Lucas the space to use his pace and control, something he didn't have when being played up top in the first half. If we played the diamond and brought on Eriksen it would not have changed anything, as has been demonstrated in several games since

You know who was doing well in the diamond, though? Harry Winks, given he created three gilt-edged chances (two Kane headers, setting up Ndombele to drive from the edge of the box) - or, to put it another way, with better finishing he'd have gained at least one assist that day. Instead he ended the game with as many assists as Eriksen did...

NEXT

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Unless he joins Arsenal on a free transfer after saying he'd never play for them, comparing him to Campbell is pretty insulting to the guy.

What people were also saying is that Eriksen changed the game.

Pretty sure one of the Kane headers you're speaking of was from Tanguy's chip, that was one of the best chances in the game prior to the goals. Fair enough, Winks did get as many assists as Eriksen that day, though he got a fraction of the praise.

NEEEEEXT.

7. humanbeingincroydon

How is it insulting? He claimed he wanted to stay, he rejected the contract that was offered, and is running down his contract. If people can slag off Toby and Eriksen for it, why can't Vertonghen be slagged off for it? Sentimentality? Sentimentality is what had Spurs fans outraged at the idea of selling Danny Rose, and that has worked wonders for us hasn't it?

What people are saying is changing the system is what changed the game, for the simple reason that changing the system is what changed the game as it allowed Lucas in particular to play to his strengths, which stretched Villa's defence as they didn't have all ten outfield players occupying the same 12ft area of space in the middle of the pitch all game

You might be sure, but so are the people who think Warner Bros' animation strand was called "Loony Toons" until you literally sit them down in front of any Bugs Bunny short

NEXT

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

There isn't sufficient enough proof of this contract ever being offered though. There's been just as many reports of him saying he wants to stay, as well as rumours of Poch not wanting the club to issue a new contract, that suggesting he rejected one is just too hard to truly make a judgement on. Comparing him to a player who said they'd never join Arsenal - and then did - just doesn't seem right. Plus, similar to what Hudd said earlier, if Jan does sign a new deal he'll be here to the point where he'll be able to offer little more to us on the pitch at the end of that potential new contract and even if he doesn't sign a new deal, he's still arguably given us his best years at the top level. Campbell left us in his prime to join the team we hate the most and helped them to great success. To me it's incomparable putting both in the same bracket.

People are also saying Eriksen changed the game, I've literally quoted them to you.

I've just watched the highlights just to double check, definitely Tanguy that plays the chipped ball to Kane who heads it just over.

N.E.X.T.

9. humanbeingincroydon

In other words, he was offered a contract during the summer of 2018 yet he did not sign it, necessitating the club activating the option in his contract to extend his deal by a year

People are saying that changing the system is what changed the game. I literally quoted them to you. Simple question: do you honestly think that, if we kept to the diamond, dropping Eriksen into it would've changed the game?

As for creating chances, let's just check the liver tracker, shall we?

39' Attempt missed. Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from outside the box misses to the right. Assisted by Lucas Moura.
    53' Attempt missed. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) header from the centre of the box misses to the right. Assisted by Harry Winks.
    58' Attempt missed. Tanguy Ndombele (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from outside the box is high and wide to the right. Assisted by Harry Winks.

NEXT

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Or in other words the club was hesitant to offer a new deal and so took up the option to extend his current deal without having to increase his pay, which would tie into the idea that Poch wasn't/ isn't overly keen on giving him a brand new contract likely on a higher salary.

People are saying that Eriksen changed the game. I quoted them to you first.
    Possibly, though it's impossible to tell because we can't rewind to the day and test it.

Wait hold on, that pass for Tanguy was the one where Tanguy was about 45-50 yards away from goal, you're calling that creating a chance? Oh come on. That's like saying Tom Carroll played a great assist when Bale smashed the long ranger at West Ham at Upton Park years back.

NEXT

11. humanbeingincroydon

Or he was offered a deal and turned it down, but because you're so determined to say Verts isn't in the same boat as Toby or Eriksen you continue to deny that could ever be the case

People say that changing the system is what changed the game, and I quoted them to you - and I hate to break it to you, but as I am not eight years old I am going to have to break it to you that being the first person to copy and paste a few comments doesn't automatically make you right. If it did, science would state that the sun revolves around the earth because Copernicus was too late getting his theory out there

On the subject of scientific study, I can state that Eriksen wouldn't have changed the game if we retained the diamond and brought him on as there's been several matches this season where he's been the tip of the diamond and about as much use as a goat at an accounting firm

Wait, hold on...are you trying to deflect from the fact I provided evidence that Harry Winks set up a header for Harry Kane? Why am I not surprised? And, yes, Carroll did get credited with an assist for Bale's long-ranger, that's how assists work. Thanks for asking.

NEXT

...or better yet, stop being an idiot

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Or he wasn't offered a new deal, therefore turned nothing down, therefore isn't in the same bracket that you're so desperate to put him in alongside Toby and Eriksen.

People said that Eriksen changed the game. I hate to break it to you as it goes against your theory but it's just what people said, many other people in fact, including those who detest Eriksen.

On the subject of common sense, I can confirm it's impossible to tell if Eriksen would've changed the game or not in a diamond in a past game because... well it's impossible.

I'm not deflecting anything, feel free to post a clip of the header and we can judge how good the scoring opportunity was. As for the other pass, I'm just pointing out that a pass in the middle of a pitch and citing it as someone being creative is pretty absurd, just as it would be if anyone said "Tom Carroll, great assist".

N
    E
    X
    T

Oooh, touchy.

13. humanbeingincroydon

Or he was offered a deal and didn't sign it, which you somehow convinced yourself isn't a possibility while simultaneously talking about two players who have been offered contracts, at least one of them more than one, and they haven't signed them

People say the earth is flat. People say vaccinations cause autism. People say that Harry Kane can only score penalties. Guess what? Saying it over and over doesn't make it right

Sadly for you, it is possible to say that changing the system changed the game. How? Because when Lucas is playing in his natural position and stretching Villa's defence, that had nothing to do with Eriksen - because Eriksen wasn't on the pitch

You're deflecting, just like you were deflecting when trying to deny Dele Alli played an important role in our first two goals against Red Star - and you continued to try and deny it when you had the video showing you that he did

STOP

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Or he wasn’t offered a deal and would very much like to stay, just needs to convince Poch and the hierarchy.

Or guess what? Eriksen did change the game.

Lucas looked good when moved to the right wing. Know what else looked good? When Eriksen came on.

The video showed Dave helping to deflect the path of Kane’s marker, while the keeper’s view wasn’t obscured by Alli when Kane was heading the ball. Surprised you missed that to be honest. Alli had the right intent but he didn’t actually help with that goal. Sorry.

FULL STOP

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

****'s sake. <doh>

17. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

What in the name of all that is holy has happened to this thread <yikes>

18. humanbeingincroydon