1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do you still have faith in Poch ?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Hoddle is a god, Oct 20, 2019.

?

Do you still have faith in Poch?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2019.
  1. Yes

63.3%
  2. No

36.7%
  1. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

10 points off top 4 and 4 behind Arsenal who are apparently in a bigger crisis than Spurs.

2. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

we are currently ****e and you are currently **** but both will (hopefully) improve but both will miss out on top 4 imo

3. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Where’s the improvement coming from with Spurs? I don’t see how unless something drastic changes.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Agreed. The harsh truth is that the extent of improvement we need is vast...at the same time as needing an equally vast collapse from Leicester and Chelsea. The former don't have european football, the latter will likely get better with time as their young players and manager pick up more experience. That collapse is just as unlikely to happen as a sudden improvement at our end. Literally the only comfort for Spurs fans at the minute is that your lot are just as shambolic.

gooner4ever likes this.
  5. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

I think a change of manager is on the cards for us, with reportedly Jose waiting in the wings.

I would prefer Allegri, but will assume he will go to Bayern Munich, and no one else seems to be mentioned other than those two.

Poch would be a nice fit but doubt he would do a Sol in Spurs.

I think we need to act now/soon rather than wait till end of season, as Spurs may also be in the market for a new manager.

6. So, the majority of us still have faith in Poch, albeit that that faith is stretched very thinly for some of you.

I think top four is going to be a step too far for us, this season. Indeed, I'm hoping that our failing to achieve it is going to be the wake up call for the board.

The first thing Levy needs to do is to get rid of those players who no longer want to be at the club or who no longer fit in with Poch's plans, since things won't improve until that happens. If Eriksen is gone, for example, Poch won't feel the need to pick him. Same with Rose. We need to make a clean break and move on.

Summer 2020 is going to be a key moment in Poch's Spurs career, as well as for the club's direction over the next three or four seasons, and whether the current malaise proves to have been the start of a spiral, or merely a rest-stop on our journey to glory.

gooner4ever likes this.
  7. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

both our clubs are at a crossroads and need fixing, with us needing a defensive midfielder (which we have been saying for years) and CBs that can defend. perhaps a new manager may actually deliver this.
    Not sure what Spurs need to add but you need to get rid of Eriksen and Rose for sure, and it is whether others want to go as well as them. If they do then the overhaul for Spurs will be a bigger task and it’s whether Levy will front you the money.

Ps welcome back

8. I cannot see that Levy has any other options, unless his plan is to force Poch out of the club.

And even if Poch does leave, we'd still be stuck with players who don't want to be at the club. How is the new manager going to fare any better by being forced to work under the same conditions?

I have left the Prem board.

Lovearsenalcock and gooner4ever like this.
  9. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

I doubt that Poch will be forced out as Levy would have to compensate him, and new manager would want money spent to add to the Spurs squad - so the cheapest option is for Levy to keep Poch and give him money to invest. That of course discounts the keep Poch and spend no money option that you have had

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

The hope I now have is that Bayern come in for Poch, although it looks likely to be Jose.

I don’t have ill feelings towards Poch, I just think his time here is done and so if he could get a job at a club like Bayern I’d be delighted for him.

His sixth season at the club should be a time of seeing significant improvement, not the possibility of having to go back to square one.

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Not sure why they'd go for Steptonho, given the club publicly criticised Fraudiola for doubling their wage bill to stand still in the Bundesliga while going backwards in the Champions League

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think it’s one of those things where big clubs just tend to go for big managers whereas smaller ones go for the average/ poor journeyman managers.

Jose will always get work at a top club, just like Warnock and Pardew will with the dregs.

Would be pretty funny if Bayern hired Pardew though.

13. Citizen Kane.

What worries me about Arsenal is the crop of promising youngsters you have coming through and/or already established in the first team. A better tactician than Emery in charge of them would be a frightening prospect. By contrast, most of the players we looked at 2-3 years ago as being up and coming talents have either stagnated (Skipp, Walker-Peters, Tracey) or have since moved on from the club (Onomah, Edwards, Pritchard etc.). And those who are still in the wings (Tanganga, Parrott, Oakley-Booth, Amos, Roles, Clarke, Sterling etc.) are all miles behind your lot in terms of their development and experience.

The worry is that while both squads carry a host of ageing players, yours seems in better shape to fill those spots 'in house' without breaking the bank every time you do so. Remove all of the players we looked to sell in the summer from the first team squad/those who are leaving in the summer (Toby, Rose, Eriksen, Jan, Wanyama, Aurier) and our team looks like this:

Lloris
    KWP Dave Foyth Davies
    Sissoko N'Dombele
    Son Lo Celso Alli
    Kane

Subs: Gazza, Tanganga, Sessegnon, Winks, Lamela, Lucas. And then the 7th sub is any one of Dier/Skipp/Parrott.

Looking at that side doesn't fill me with much confidence. Midfield and attack are pretty solid but the defense looks an inexperienced mess. Plus we'd only be a couple of injuries in attack from a meltdown. So the common consensus is that we need to invest heavily at RB,CB and AM, and then semi-heavily at DM,ST and again at CB.

14. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Bayern don't usually go for the big-spending name managers, though: Kovac coached Croatia and Eintracht Frankfurt, Felix Magath was a journeyman Bundesliga coach before his first stint in charge and won the Bundesliga with Wolfsburg before his second, while they hired Ottmar Hitzfeld off the back of him winning the Bundesliga and Champions League with Dortmund and later rehired him as they felt he could come back and do the job (similar to their serial rehiring of Jupp Heynckes)

There's already reports saying they've contacted Ajax about bringing in Erik ten Hag, while ex-Taurine FC Leipzig coach Ralf Rangnick is being strongly linked - although the interesting one for me is how they were linked with then-Hoffenheim coach Julian Nagelsmann last season, but his moving to Leipzig in the summer has probably cooled their interest until his contract starts running down since Bayern don't like actually having to pay fees for players or managers

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You’ll have to remove Tanganga from that squad at the moment. Deal also ends this summer and has currently not signed the one offered.

16. Citizen Kane.

Oh FFS.

Our management of the academy has gone to pot.

17. Not as funny as Big Sam being rushed in at United for half a season.

gooner4ever and Dier Hard like this.
  18. Executed

Executed Member

Poch still has my full support. He's one of the lads and us lads have to stick together, yeah?

Solid_Air 2, gooner4ever and Tobes like this.
  19. Not a wise move.

This place is reserved as a sanctuary for proper footy debate. Wummery, especially the third rate variety, is tolerated only within the context of valid commentary.

20. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Getting rid of Poch would be a huge mistake by Spurs, a bad run of form happens, it’s not a reflection of his ability. He’s done an excellent job at Spurs.

Nice flounce btw mate <laugh>

gooner4ever and PowerSpurs like this.