1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Does anyone else think the bubble could burst?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Frank The Tank, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank The Tank

Frank The Tank Active Member

Or will the English Premiership just continue to get stronger and richer despite the high debts being run up by the likes of Man United, Liverpool and Portsmouth?

2. Magic Laudrup 11

Magic Laudrup 11 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it is already shown signs of great strain. It's starting to get very noticeable that a lot of clubs have got debts that are not serviceable. The team with the healthiest outlook at present I believe is Arsenal. They have never spent outwith their means chasing success and built quality team after quality team within a strict budget. If only other teams could follow the example they have set then the bubble would be far from bursting.

Arsenal are able to afford not constantly winning trophies, whereas Liverpool for example are showing that one poor season with very little chance of success has them struggling greatly financially.

In Portsmouths case, I can't understand where the money is going. Transfer fees recieved have been extortionate with little outgoings, yet still they face a winding up order due to unpaid tax.

I personally hope the bubble doesn't burst, but simply decreases in size allowing the clubs that look after their fiscal affairs to challenge for honours in the future.

3. AS90

AS90 New Member

We need to ditch irresponsible owners such as Hicks and Gillette!

4. h4mpo

h4mpo New Member

AS90 nice to see another LFC fan over here.

Yeah have to agree I can see the bubble bursting in the next couple of years. The FA need to put some sort of rule in that enforces clubs to live within their means, clubs should only be allowed to spend what they generate themselves, not like City who are having a huge wage bill funded by their sugar daddy

5. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hopefully - it's unsunstainable - unless yer Man City/Chelsea

**** sake, a Premiership club website is shut down for non payment of a bill!!!!!!!!!! WTF!

6. Bhoy From Brum

Bhoy From Brum Well-Known Member

ML - Portsmouths wage bills have been huge in the past compared to what they bring in in terms of merchandise & ticket sales.

The ground holds 20000 only, I would suggest they have very little fanbase outside Portsmouth yet they were paying Crouch & Defoe £70k each plus David James and one or two others on decent contracts. All the signings they made such as Crouch & Defoe meant they had the transfer fee plus a signing on fee for the player.......when they sold the players they had to pay a percentage of the players contracts off as the player did not ask to be transferred. Essentially they were using transfer fees received to cover the shortfall of the wage bill & their poor income.

Several countries already have the idea of living within your means & Platini is keen to get this across the whole of Europe. Chelsea & Man City would not be able to operate as they are because they are losing millions upon millions each year. Chelsea are a tiny club compared to many & unless they found another massively rich owner could not survive with the Russian.

7. AggerDagger

AggerDagger New Member

Have you not heard?? LFC have new owners now... Our debts have been reduced dramatically and give it a year or two and our debts could be non exsistent.

8. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

If you get back into the Champ League, and to be honest I doubt it will happen any time soon, Citeh have taken your spot

9. ShelfSideSpur

ShelfSideSpur Active Member

And lo and behold - in comes the new regs!

Any chance of the Lottery numbers for this week ;)

10. peadar1987

peadar1987 Member

Yes, but if those new owners hadn't materialised, you would have been in big, big trouble. Possible Leeds United implosion trouble. I'm not having a pop at your club, or the fans, but many clubs are overreaching themselves in such a way.

11. EDGE

EDGE Guest

James Blunt is on ITV right now, does life get any better?

<CHOKEY>

12. Pontsafc

Pontsafc Active Member

Is it all unsustainable? Depends on Skye continuing to pump in money. Perhaps an economic downturn will cause enough subscribers to cancel their membership to bring about a drastic re-appraisal of the Skye/Premier League contract? I personally doubt that happening in the shortrun but do believe that these Klondyke days will not last forever and woebetide those Clubs that are mired in debt when it all ends in tears.

13. Kennys_Heroes

Kennys_Heroes Member

"Does anyone else think the bubble could burst?"

You mean the forum might not survive??!!!

I see "171" members on line... yet NOTHING is happening. Who is pulling whose legs now?

14. baddebt

baddebt New Member

the bubble will burst .........and there are signs that this is slowly happening ,
    as the economic down turn starts to really bit into peoples pockets , its only a matter of time before sky are forced to re-think the money distribution

it happened in Serie A with Napoli, Bologna, Parma , lazio Fiorentina almost going out of business in recent times and Serie A is still finding its feet after and are in transition , it happened in the Bundesliga, althought the every efficient Germans have it all sorted now , and providing a great product , standard of football , ticket prices, color and atmosphere in grounds light years ahead of the rest

15. dickmalonespecial

i think that there is a chance that it could all go "tits up". i also agree with baddebt that the bundesliga is showing the way forward and is the model that we should be aiming for, but it will only truly work when it is applied to all european clubs.

16. sore-feet

sore-feet Member

Of course the bubble will burst - this is the consequence of all the bankers playing and managing the PL.

17. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't see the bubble bursting to be honest, unless fans suddenly stop going to or watching games any time soon. The growth in spending will slow when the new regs come in and City and Chelsea have to watch their spending levels. But the top clubs are still growing their revenues fast enough and have the profits needed to support their debt. Utd are the only PL club with noticeable debt, but they have over £130 million cash in the bank, and operating profits of around £100 million a year, so they're in no trouble. The only problems come from clubs in the relegation scrap overspending to try and stay in the Prem, and the example of Pompey seems to have stopped them for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.