1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Down Memory Lane

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by philhythe, Jul 29, 2020.

1. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Just watched the interview with Brian Lee really brings back some memories

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What matches can you recall Phil, going back as far as you can?

3. philhythe

Back in the day my father & I were asked to start a club shop, in the green shed that stood at the side, when my father became Chairman of the then Supporters club I took it on for a few years until marriage & divorce got in the way. The games that really spring to mind are Spennymoor Amatuer Cup home & way in the mid 60s, Spennymoor away was my first away game, I can always remember leaveing Wycombe on the coach (Jeffways or Pilot I think back then) at midnight & being in Darlington at 6am, what the score was I have no idea. The other games I remember are all cup games, Kettering at home we won 5-0 I think, Skelmersdale, Altrincham FA Trophy semi-final & of course the train trips to Goole, Runcorn, Blyth Spartens, & Bridgend, the other cup game I will always remember is Hendon FA Amatuer Cup Semi-Final at Brentford, will always remember changing ends at half-time & a Hendon supporter saying you have the support we have the team, this was in the day with Swannell as goalkeeper. As Brian Lee said in the interview we would get so far then fall down at the final hurdle. The other games I really remember are the FA Cup when we started having the odd game against the Pro sides. The one league game I remember amongst the many was the first time we played under lights against Enfield, & I think in light & dark blue striped shirts. All the other games are too many too remember until I moved out of the area in 86, I can remember more since then because not going every week they don't blur into one another.

Guywanderer likes this.
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ones I recall are while in the Isthmian League
    :
    Went to Semi final at Highbury against Corinthian Casuals, which was more like a war zone. Won 4-2 playing with 9 men at times (no subs). Then to Wembley and lost 3-1 to Bishop Auckland

Went to Doncaster for semi final against Bishop Auckland - lost 1-0, I think

Went to Northampton for FA cup and I think we lost 5-0

I remember a no 7 called Pawson playing for Pegasus at Loakes Park. We won

Went to Oxford (City) League match one evening. 2-0 down with 10mins to go won 3-2

Beating 2nd placed Hendon at Loakes Park to clinch the league title

Went to some tricky away cup matches against Hitchin and Hounslow

Obviously watched the 0-0 draw against Middlesbrough in the FA Cup

The cup replay against Witney - won 15-1 (and were lucky to draw the first game)

Guywanderer likes this.
  5. philhythe

I was told I went to Wembley in 57 but seeing as I was only four I am afraid it slipped me by. I do remember as well the Anglo-Italian cup & the Ugandans playing in bare feet. Your memories are a decade before me Ron, I can only remember the odd bit before Brian Lee time. That's where it really started for me, even though it had been in the family from the beginning.

Guywanderer likes this.
  6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Let's move onto Adams Park then

3-0 down in the away game at WBA, 3-0 up after 90 mins at AP. Drew 4-4 aet, lost on away goals. Simon Garner played for WBA

FA Trophy final wins at Wembley, Kidderminster and Runcorn

I think it was our first pre season friendly at AP, against Notts F. Good game but vaguely remember the score being 0-0

Sponsored the match ball against Wolves in the FA Cup - won 2-1 Presented with ball (signed by all players) by Steve Brown

FA Cup against Aston Villa - lost 8-3 but what a first half. Completely outplayed them and went in 3-1 up at half time

L2 play off final at Wembley against PNE. Won 4-2. Gareth played for Preston. Memories of singing 4-2 to the Wanderers and tooting the horn all the way home

Guywanderer likes this.
  7. philhythe

Adams Park the first games there again passed me by a bit, having moved out of Wycombe in 86 the next few years went by going to the odd game, remember the Wembley finals the Kidderminster game was the first game I took my son to & him saying to me about half way the second half can we go home now, which funnily enough is virtually what my Grandson said as we were sat up at the back of the Adams stand at the Lincoln game this season. Again I remember away games more I can remember going to Gateshead & I think it was Darlington, we have friends up there. I do remember the two games against Sunderland boys with Mark West scoring & driving up to Sunderland with my father & a young Rena (who still does the away coach travel to this day) getting home at some ungodly hour & going straight to work. The thing with going down memory lane Ron it's the history that makes a club & us older ones passing it on. I can remember also taking my son to an exhibition at the Wycombe chair museum in Priory Road probably about 20 years ago now, & him saying he did'nt realise the ground was next to the hospital. Some of that exhibition is now in Monty's bar. We all have different memories & usually we remember the good ones.

8. philhythe

Just watched the latest video on You Tube good memories, again did not realise it was Jim Kelman who bought in a lot of the players before Martin O'Neill