1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dr Strangelove (how I learned to stop worrying and love Boris)

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Deletion Requested1, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

Whittylad likes this.
  2. Saf

German economy crisis warning as inflation soars.

Flash figures released today found inflation had climbed marking the fastest rise in almost 30 years. A key driver of Germany's inflation has been higher energy costs and supply chain disruptions filtering through into consumer prices. Christopher Dembik, Head of Macro Analysis at Saxo Bank, said: "Germany is facing a perfect storm: the energy crunch, supply chain frictions, skyrocketing inflation and 'pay me my worth' demands from workers on top of the fourth wave of the pandemic." The inflation figures come following a series of data sets pointing to increasing difficulties facing the EU's largest national economy.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...-six-percent/ar-AARghya?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Sounds familiar...

3. Tommyplease

Tommyplease Well-Known Member

Hardly going to be doing a more complex form of maths if you’re not using a calculator mate. I’d like to see you on quadratic equations using your fingers ffs

You genuinely think you’re progressive with that statement? ****ing hell mate

Saf likes this.
  4. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Do you have an opinion on the thread or just here to have a pop at other posters ...

... just asking.

5. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I didn’t realise they never existed before the calculator was invented, you learn something new all the time.

Nordic and Makemstine Roger like this.
  6. Saf

Just wait until you hear them talking about refugees and women being date raped (they should take some responsibility)

It's like the 1970's on here, at times.

7. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

what are you on about?

did you take so long to reply because you were trying to make some kind of futile argument over what i posted?

you actually make my point exactly, we had to use our fingers and show working out yet now they can use calculators for what i would call 'everyday maths'... no idea why i would think i was 'progressive' with that statement but many still do not realise how much 'real' and practical education has been removed from schools.

unless of course you are under the impression that all the work they do at school now is far more advanced than the stuff we learned...or maybe you are just another username from the local arguer.

Blond Bombshell and Iain like this.
  8. Saf

Local arguer = Somebody with a different opinion about my outdated views.

9. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

Never mind advanced mathematics, it is a fact that the "youth of the day" can not do simple mental arithmetic or spell simple words such as their, they're or there (or rather in what context to use them). Their handwriting is atrocious as well. All because of computers/calculators. Take away the machines that do it for them and they are lost.

10. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

To be quite honest with you, my daughter is in primary school and she is being taught subjects, and concepts within those subjects, that I wasn't taught until secondary school. That includes Maths- I have to use a calculator to check the homework that she is supposed to do without one. I'm not sure when you went to school but the standard of primary education she gets is definitely better than the one I got.

Jarca, Saf and Montysoptician like this.

11. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

12. samwise_new

maybe they are trying to address it...all i know is my son came in one day and started waffling about algebra he had to do and wandered off to find a calculator, i told him to show me the problem and while he went hell for leather hitting buttons i would try to do it in my head, i got the answer afore him.

that would have been ealy 90's senior school, did my stint until 75 and felt a tad peeved when the next class got to use calcs in exams...i just feel the standards have slipped over the years especially when you read stuff on social media when so many struggle to spell simple words or use 'text-speak' and even find it hard to make coherent sentences, while we all will make mistakes some of them are worse than childish and for some reason if any grammer police pull them for it they are suddenly dyslexic.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  13. Saf

*early
    *calculators
    *grammar

Always start sentences with a capital letter.

Before you point your fingers at people, you should make sure your own hands are clean.

14. Sunderpitt

During the lockdowns, my wife and I were attempting to teach our grand kids. We were concerned to find out that the 7 year old was supposed to understand frontal adverbials

I have the privilege (or am lumbered) to be a governor at the primary school... we are being warned that the ivory tower bureaucracy in the Dept of Education (or whatever its latest name is) want to yet again modify how phonics is taught and what the targets are. If school don’t comply they will be marked down in an ofstead.

Of course following lockdowns it is realised most children are behind in their studies/education from where they should be... catch up is not easy at all. You may recall Bonko had an inquiry into how children could catch up. The inquiry came up with a report and proposals for action. This at first was welcomed. Bonko shot this down because if cost, the chairman of the report resigned.

One action would be to pull a few children at a time out if class for more personal teaching. This would require another teacher who would need paying. For instance one problem with home schooling is that as children are not sitting together as a group, producing a long English composition is harder, essentially children help each other.

So taking turns to be in a small supervised/taught group would aid 'catch-up'. Similar for some maths and learning tables, or number bonds etc.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    Blond Bombshell and samwise_new like this.
  15. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Yeah, early 90s was when I started secondary school. The way they taught us maths was pretty awful back then. Unless you had a natural talent for it, you were always going to struggle. Its not just today's kids that struggle with English though- there are plenty of older people who use poor grammar or don't know the difference between certain simple words; examples are easy to find. I'd agree that standards are slipping though but I think that's more down to parents than schools though. My wife is a primary school teacher so I hear a lot about it and it seems to me that a lot of people now expect schools to provide their kids with basic life skills (such as toilet training and using a knife and fork) and moral guidance that is really the responsibility of the parents.

Yep, I hear this all the time too. The constant moving of the goalposts is a thorn in the side of teachers. Teachers are under ever increasing pressure because of what the government and, as I outlined above, what parents now expect of them. Its gone beyond education- they now have to be social workers, family support workers, and, in some cases, carry out nursing duties too. The catch up programme is putting extra pressure on them. Its a struggle to recruit teachers now and most don't stick with it. Nonetheless, the quality of education that my daughter is getting is undoubtedly better than the one I got.

Blond Bombshell, Saf and samwise_new like this.
  16. samwise_new

oh i agree that teachers are having a hard enough time especially with starters, have heard this about parents leaving all the basics expecting schools to do the work...my partner has dyslexia (genuine) and she bought a load of early learner stuff and sat on the floor struggling her way through the books etc with our lads...but then we come back to the modern day person where many a time less is spent with the kids and more with making money (and yes, i do realise some have little choice but to both work), then government 'targets' ffs are also heading towards only learning what they want to teach them.

17. Saf

18. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20211203-121332.png
    Have I missed something? Boris has defected to Labour?

19. Pure River Slut

Pure River Slut Well-Known Member

Even Macron said he is a clown. Which he is

TopClub and Sunderpitt like this.
  20. Sunderpitt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Row 3