1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dyche happy with Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Al the Hornet, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Al the Hornet

Al the Hornet Well-Known Member

2. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Very sensible in my view - no way is he ready for either of the 2 clubs mentioned and he knows it. Also means he have some stability, well at least on the manager front <yikes>

3. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

Sean Dyche has one year as a manager. The clubs who he has been linked to would be taking a risk, but both Brendon Rodgers and Malky Mackay have proved that recent former Watford managers can hold their own in new locations. It is an honour for Watford that other teams should even think of taking the new boy from us.

If SD did not have his feet in the earth who might replace him?

4. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

In Woan we trust .........No I think unlike his predecessors Sean actually does have integrity,another successful season at Watford then we will prob lose him(unless we get promoted)
    Also MM jumped ship on the last takeover ,Sean saying what he is saying must mean he is happy the way things are going ,takeover or not:)

5. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Very happy that he thinks 'loyalty works both ways'..he did always seem a genuine bloke. Very pleased also that he realises he could trip up big time going to a bigger club, and that he needs at least another season under his belt before he thinks of moving on, which he will, in good time. Well done SD ..again! :)

6. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I am happy that he is with us and made such a good job of welding a bunch of average players into a good team at this level. If, and it is still if, we get a new owner in with ambition and money to back that up, will the existing dynamics that have created this team be pushed to one side? There is a difference in getting every player to do his bit week after week, but when you start to import players who think that they are good already because of the size of the transfer fee, then I suspect it is very much harder.

7. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

This is good news, for now. He's done well for a new manager.

I might sound a bit negative here but weren't some people making the same sounds about MM and BR before they changed their tune to leave. I am not saying Dyche will do exactly that but after all he has a dodgy voice and is ginger ! (Yes, they are the only suspicious things I can find about him at the moment !) Let's hope he leads us to promotion or playoffs next season !! YELLOWS !!

8. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

I think he'll go at the end of next season, unless we go up.

Since GT left, we've had two managers who stayed longer than two seasons. Both achieved great things at one stage (or at the very least, both were Watford managers whilst we achieved great things), and both were sacked when Dyche was here.

That's what I think will happen, but if he is the manager that he seems to be, I think he should stay for a third season, and try to make a real name for himself by going for promotion. Graham Taylor constantly talks about clubs giving managers three seasons, and I do think that after three seasons a manager can usually say "we're in a better position than when I came, but I'm not sure what more could realistically be achieved here". Two seasons doesn't quite feel like enough to do that.

9. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

it does seem unusual these days for a Championship Manager to stay in the job for more than 2 seasons. They either move on because they get a better offer, or they're sacked. 2 seasons seems to be the cut off point these days, though i agree, it should be three and i do hope, if he does well this season, that he sees it the same way!

10. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Well I guess it's also about progression as well. 2 years is a good amount of time to get your style of play across, your own players in etc... If Dyche doesn't have to replace many players (say Mariappa only) and is given some of the money and brings in a few more, but we go backwards, and are involved in a relegation fight for most of the season, would we be happy? Would people want him replaced?

I do agree that each team needs to be realistic with their own objectives, and as long as the team are still progressing the manager should always get support! I just don't think you can really specify a time a frame...

11. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

You've touched on the key point there Kev.

Let's say we finish in the top half next season. Possibly playoffs, although 7th-12th is more realistic, but for argument's sake let's say that we don't get promoted.

If in nine months time Dyche believes he can keep hold of the core of his team, and that we have a realistic chance of signing a player or two capable of making the difference, he would be crazy to leave for anything less than an established Premier League outfit. Even that would be a risk.

If on the other hand he thinks that Deeney is going off the boil, that Hogg and Murray will want to leave in summer 2013, that he won't get much money to re-invest and that we haven't got a couple of rough diamonds on our radar, he might take the view that he can't improve on next season's position. In that scenario he'll probably take an offer from a wealthier Championship club, much as Malky did. As usual, how fondly he is seen by Watford fans will depend on the manner of his departure and how little disruption he causes afterwards.

12. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

wise words as usual NNW :)