1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Early Contenders

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ristac, Apr 24, 2021.

1. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Who are your early contenders for LUFC player of the season? I accept this could all change but if the season ended tomorrow who would you give it to?

Mine might be a bit controversial but I’ll explain why...

NOT Bamford as he still misses far too many chances.

NOT Phillips because he has set his own high standards and he does what is expected of him.

NOT Meslier he is improving but there are others more deserving.

NOT Raphinha he definitely has more skill than anyone else but he still gives the ball away too many times.

NOT Ayling he has looked great at times but again there are others in front.

My Runner Up - Dallas he has been a rock, he has scored and created some important goals, he pops up everywhere and has covered a few positions.

Winner - Struijk he’s been called in to deputise against top class opposition, he is in my opinion better than the club captain Cooper and he is keeping a German International behind him. Hardly puts a foot wrong against world class attackers thrown in at the deep end this season and swam like a fish

2. lifecheshirewhite

Best young defender stats in the league also, beating White who comes in 3rd.Going to be some player is Struijk.

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

For me its that Brazilian baller known as Dallasino

Seriously the guy has played everywhere but goal and lets be fair has expended blood sweat and tears for the club scoring all the goals that Pablo used to get for us. He took over from an injured tired Klich and now even the Pole cant get his place back.

4. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Yep. Dallas for me all day long.

Gessa and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  5. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Eunan O'Kane:grin: Is he still with us...<whistle>

6. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

His agent and that 20 year contract <laugh>

ristac and Irishshako like this.
  7. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

Totally hear what you say about Struijk. came out of nowhere. Has skipped the lower leagues via loans in his progression as a player.
    Starting only 2 games in 19/20 in a championship first Team.
    Now he's flaunting his stuff in the Premiership at a very good level. he's basically went from a u23 player to a Premiership player with a in between season training with the first team in the championship.
    He has so much potential it's frightening what he's done so far.
    What makes it even more special we haven't even seen the best of him yet. He's already decent now. he has the making of a top Class Central Defender.
    That's very hard to pass over, even though we've have had some good performances from certain players.

So my vote goes to Stu Dallas :emoticon-0102-bigsm

8. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

<laugh>

9. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Definitely Dallas, he's been immense, and an inspiration. One of those players who keeps getting better with age.

10. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Dallas all day long.
    Struijk- young poty by far.

11. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

It's going to be between the hot favourite Dallas, the exciting Raphinha, the improved Bamford and the ever reliable Phillips. Dallas should get it but ironically may not be a starter next season if we sign midfielders and a left back.

Young player will be interesting with Meslier and Struijk both heading the list. The rest are a fair way behind those two.

Irishshako, bucks_is_leeds and ristac like this.
  12. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

Evening all.
    I think I'd vote Dallas too but even though they get a lot of stick, Cooper, Ayling, Alioski and Bamford were all pretty much rejects when we signed them for peanuts and they have all contributed in the PL. I'd say that all of them have exceeded any expectations we had just one year ago.

13. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I'm a bit torn about this. There are so many good cases. I think this year we could genuinely have the whole squad as the POTY, odd though that sounds.

Let me turn it around - who do you think is NOT worthy of the POTY award - & why, of course?

14. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

Pablo?

ristac likes this.
  15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Forshaw....... simple not been fit...
    Coco.......simple "he played for real Madrid" and should have stayed there.
    Costa.... simple wolves had our pants down.
    Llorente....simple only last few games has shown what a fantastic player he is.
    Rodrigo.....simple record signing not shown enough.
    Roberts.... simple not consistent enough.
    The rest you can pick your favourite, for me it's the Mr consistent...stu Dallas

LeedsInHeaven likes this.
  16. LeedsInHeaven

LeedsInHeaven Well-Known Member

If we'd had Bielsa a few years earlier he'd have had a chance in the premier League but age looks to have caught up with him. Still my favourite player of the last ten years

17. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I’d have Gradel and Snodgrass ahead of Pablo (last 10 years) I think they just sneak in the 10 year ago bracket

18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Was just typing a list and the first names down were Llorente and Rodrigo and one of my reasons was going to be they came with a big price tag and big expectations which leads on to....

This nails it for me, have Dallas and Struijk been outshone by any of the big name signings? Dallas probably should edge it but he only really had to out perform Alioski at LB, then Klich lost all his form, Rodrigo was injured and Pablo threw a paddy so Dallas was always going to find a starting position somewhere in the team and get a run.

Hats off to him though there were lots of us complaining that he isn’t a central midfield player not that long ago.

Whitejock and oldschool like this.
  19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Rodrigo, Llorente and Koch have all suffered from injuries and had a slow start to their careers at Leeds. i think we can all see the sheer class we should get next season.

Raphinha has been brilliant but that sort of performance is impossible to keep up so it was expected that we would see a slight drop, but then he was crocked by a crap ref who didnt protect him against the attacks Man City’s Brazilian defender and the red card should have been shown for his final assualt on Raphinha which has cost us since.

Therefor Dallas has been the only constant this season

Irishshako and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  20. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Leeds' best player - Phillips by a country mile

Dallas offers a ton of effort but will he even be in the 1st XI next season ?