1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ebenezer Cobb Morley

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Ehab's Member, Apr 22, 2021.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

The original offending post was poorly worded and as it has obviously caused offence, so I’ve removed it.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  2. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

To be honest, whilst it is great to look back, the memories of those long gone days are confined to a very small group of people and without a modern story to tag onto, there is nothing but a sentimental journey that will be fleeting.
    Go around the schools and ask about the famous players and the children will not have a clue and even if the did, it would change nothing.
    That is the lesson that I have learn from dealing with this type of thing. "How does it relate to today?" This is a question that has to be answered. Find a link, "It's coming up to the centenary since he died, will get a day of local news, possibly an exhibition. But beyond that the people who will promote the ideas will not do anything. Sorry for being negative.

3. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

You could say that about all history. So do we just ignore it ? It relates a lot to today, it is where we came from, our roots, our heritage. As for Alan Hardaker isn't the story telling local kids that a bloke from the Boulevard who worked as a clerk for Hull City Council went onto be one of the most influential men in the Football League at a time when the national team won the World Cup and was honoured for it ? Nah, just bin that, eh ?

4. Tickton Tiger.

Almost four years ago, in other news Mr Mcmillan will spend this weekend at Chequers! :emoticon-0100-smile[/QUOTE]

I thought that after I'd posted, so apologies. On that score I'm amazed there hasn't been a campaign to replace Queen Victoria's statue in town with one of Arthur yet.

5. Tickton Tiger.

Sad but true.

6. Ehab's Member

Ehab's Member Well-Known Member

Actually my original point wasn't the lack of acknowledgement of the old Anlaby Road ground (although I'm all for anything that does). It's simply that someone so crucial to the development of the world game came from Hull and to erect a statue would attract national and possibly international interest. It would raise the profile of Hull City as a club and Hull as a football city. Pointing out where our old ground is all very interesting to us but in the great scheme of things is a bit small time and parochial, a bit like much of the country already views us,.

7. Tickton Tiger.

Why can't we have both ?

8. Ehab's Member

Ehab's Member Well-Known Member

Of course, but I wouldn’t trust those in power to be able to hold two thoughts at once. Priority is surely to be outward looking.

9. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

No objections to a statue of Jack Harrison. Any man who wins both a VC and an MC deserves one. And, he was a local lad. His son also died serving his country in the defence of Dunkirk. I think Jack Harrison is among the most deserving of people born in Hull having a statue erected in his memory.

10. The Omega Man

I am not saying bin anything, but trying to raise interest without a focal point is very difficult.
    You write a piece about him and I will publish it in the TigerMag.

11. Barchullona

Ah, Ronnie Hilton...Quote about him "A true Yorkshireman, Hilton always remained loyal to his roots – especially to Leeds United.He composed, sang and recorded several anthems as tribute to the club."

Pat O'Connell is another who is overlooked in this City but if he had connections with Sunderland, Portsmouth and other places would be mentioned in those cities. Most Hull people will not have a clue about him.
    Of course as Terry Geraghty said when Hull was awarded City OfCulture "Visitors will have a chance to see what a great sporting city this is. Not only do we love rugby league, but darts and wrestling as well". That at time when we were the only Yorkshire side in the Premier League. Could you imagine a Councillor from Leeds, Huddersfield, Bradford or any other city in Yorkshire saying that if it had applied to their city? it is almost as some in Hull are determined to portray Hull asxaome small, provincial, insular town rather than a city.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  12. Tickton Tiger.

Done it matey,' Hull, Hell @ Happiness' 1990's.

13. Barchullona

A lot on here will not have read the journalistic masterpieces in those magazines. One particular writer remains in the memory. More than one nom de plume mind.<laugh>

Tickton Tiger. and TwoWrights like this.
  14. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

As an aside I was recently reading an old City Independent, and David Burns stated we'd be mad to leave Boothferry Park.

15. Tickton Tiger.

Voted the best fanzine in Great Britain at the time by readers of the Rangers fanzine 'Follow, Follow' which had by far the largest circulation. A worthy honour for a club who at that time were bottom of the old 4th division. Of course the HDM made a bid deal about it by not mentioning it all.

16. Barchullona

You want to send that in to him and see if he responds.<laugh>

dennisboothstash and TwoWrights like this.
  17. Barchullona

To be fair to them they did publish a letter from someone in Australia who said the answer to a question on a TV quiz programme was Hull Kingston Rovers. What he described as another proud moment in the great history of the club.

18. Tickton Tiger.

Are you sure it wasn't the famous BBQ a couple in the Cook Island said they'd had in honour of something one of the Hull RL clubs had done, they published that.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  19. Barchullona

No, that was separate.
    One of my favourites was someone on Talksport going on about Rovers being world famous and everywhere he went on a trip to the USA everyone he told he was from Hull wanted to know about Kingston Rovers. The presenters went along with this instead of saying sure, in bars everyone said hey, never mind the Cowboys, Bears, Packers this guy is from Hull, come and listen to what Kingston Rovers are doing. Pull the other one daft sod.

20. The Omega Man

I am always on the look out for articles, 2500 words.
    I have written about Cobb Morley, Don Revie, Frank Buckley and Martin Spendiff.