1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ebenezer Cobb Morley

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Ehab's Member, Apr 22, 2021.

1. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Disagree,

It's like Beverley Gate or the Citadel. 'Uninteresting bits of old rubble' if you're a short attention span shallow ****, but important historic sites for others.

Millions of people passed through the Anlaby Road turnstiles over its approx 4 decades lifespan.

Let it rot as a grazing ground for tatters' horses and a street drinkers' den, or give it the historical recognition it merits?

Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United, Spurs etc all came here back in the day- and all left pointless.

2. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

I agree and disagree to your view.

Firstly there is no benefit in spending thousands of pounds on anything just to preserve a memory of the past. Nothing can justify the spend on a luxury. That said, I have a keen interest in history and archaeology.

What would you have? A sanitised area of land that holds and displays a former football clubs stadium? There is little benefit in doing anything with the land.

The value to society is in recording what was there and what remains. Then use the land for the benefit of society. The fact is that environmentally the land is now a habitat for wildlife and has protection.

This isn’t a personal dig at you or anyone who looks at this land and thinks that something should be done. But if there was any real chance of the funding being made available or public subscription to enhance the land, it would have been done.

To many people spend far too much time pointing out what should be done and give no time to doing it.

As I say, this isn’t aimed at you.

3. Ehab's Member

Ehab's Member Well-Known Member

Not sure if you're intentionally missing my point or not. I said I'm all in favour of preserving our Anlaby Road heritage but my original point was that I believe we should create something of national (perhaps worldwide) importance which would raise the profile of Hull as a football City and at no great expense.
    That's it. It's not an either/or issue.

4. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Surely there is great benefit in spending money on preserving memories of the past?
    We don't need to sanitise our old ground, we only have a section of the Spion Kop south stand anyway. I'd suggest as a minimum it is given Grade II Listed Status and recognised and preserved as of historic interest and then tidied up and maintained by HCC with better footpaths from the Argyle Street walkway with proper information boards explaining its history.

5. originalminority

We should have both, recognition for the remains of our old ground and recognition for Ebenezer Cobb Morley, both are worthy and strangely overlooked by our civic leaders.

6. The Omega Man

Lumps of 20th century concrete might be hard to get listed.
    Who will pay for the tidy up and maintenance?

7. originalminority

The owners would be HCC and the listed status would enforce preservation at not much cost really, no one is asking for a roof over it or much more than some recognition and low cost information boards? Maritime heritage yes, football heritage no?

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  8. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Who said it needed 'thousands of pounds' spending on it ? The original idea was for an information board pointing out where the old ground was and a brief history, the type they have all over the city pointing out historic facts. Simple recognition. Also I'm sure those blue civic plaques don't cost thousands of pounds either. Also I don't like your last line 'to many people spend far too much time pointing out what should be done and give no time to doing it'
    Shouldn't the OSC be doing this sort of thing ? Protecting the clubs heritage.

originalminority likes this.
  9. Stockholm Tiger

Stockholm Tiger Well-Known Member

I just hope Ebenezer's statue looks like him...eza goode fella after all...

upload_2021-4-25_18-30-44.png

TwoWrights likes this.
  10. The Omega Man

Not really in the OSC brief. The Supporters Trust got involved I believe. Senior Tigers like that sort of thing as well.
    Join the OSC and change things if you like, but pointing fingers is exactly what people who do nowt tend to do isn’t it.
    Personally I tend to get involved, hence my discussions with Hull Museums and HCC about Cobb Morley, the banner and the articles. The plan to celebrate and have an educational event, original rules game of football, commemorative journey from London to Hull. So perhaps my opinion is based on actually trying to do things and finding just how difficult it is when the powers to be don’t care or there is no funding.
    Be critical of the OSC if you like or maybe have a look at what we have been doing during lockdown.
    I have had two messages this weekend, one ex player and one supporter both thanking me for what we have done this season.
    It sort of makes me feel proud and your snipe pales into insignificance.
    So stop spending time pointing fingers and do something.

11. The Omega Man

If you try to get that site listed it will need public consultation or so I was told when I met HCC and discussed it. There is no money, no interest and the site is protected already because of the newts. A full survey of the site would have to be done, risk assessments and an impact study.

12. originalminority

The site is protected by the railway triangle as much as the newts and just because HCC have no interest it doesn't mean the public isn't interested. Surveys, risk assessments and impact studies are low cost and should not be barriers to preserving a lost Edwardian terrace and first home of our great club.

13. The Omega Man

Ok.

14. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

https://hullisthis.news/businesses-unite-to-support-hull-vigil-project

Often surprises me what is deemed worthy of backing.

Also raises the eyebrows when a blue plaque catches your eye, like the one for Gassy Jack Deighton on Prospect Centre wall.

Football is the number one sport on the planet, how can the remaining terrace of our old ground built 1906 not be worthy of preserving in some shape or form?

I would add that a similar plaque commemorating the Circle of Hull CC wouldn't come amiss either.

Not sure why people locally are so careless over our heritage and history.

I think the terrace currently overgrown with grass and a tree or two would be relatively easy to restore and maintain.

Tickton Tiger. and TwoWrights like this.
  15. The Omega Man

16. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

I did join a branch of the OSC and even got on the committee but their idea of support was different to mine. I had no interest in raising money on the back of Hull City to give to other causes. I thought Hull City Supporters Club meant they supported Hull City and raised funds for them. How wrong I was, Maybe its changed now and if it has then well done. I attempted to get involved in the early 80's too but that was a lost cause as they thought 'supporting' was sharing the free tickets amongst themselves.
    For the record I do 'do something' I was involved in helping to organise, sell tickets, get the entertainment and find sponsors for the last two Ex-Tigers do's to raise money for ex-players. Both sell outs, both highly successful.
    You think I'm sniping, you couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    TwoWrights likes this.
  17. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It sounds to me as though you both want similar things, but have a slightly different opinion on to how to achieve it. It'd be good if two passionate and capable people such as you both are, could find some common ground, as I reckon if you work together, you could find a way to make a lot of people happy.

18. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Some said 'good old Colin Smith' others...

19. The Omega Man

The OSC brings supporters closer to the club.
    I have had one cup of coffee from the club in a meeting and that is the only thing that I have ever taken, no tickets, no favours, no freebies and I pay full price for everything that I have ever had. None of the current board of the OSC is any different to me and I personally find your post deeply offensive and condescending. “Maybe it has changed” Maybe...

20. The Omega Man

DMD, I need to work with people who have a vision for the future not stuck in the past. I opened the door about articles and look where that went.