1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread EFL TROPHY (Papa Johns)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Oct 18, 2022.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Accrington down to ten men after only 22 mins.....Bolton scored in the 82nd and 84th minutes to get to Wembley......this will be their 14th visit there.

Argyle have already played Bolton twice in the league this season.....winning 2-0 at home and drawing 0-0 away.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I watched the game last night. What Schumacher (and the stats) said about Forest Green was true of this: we were dominant generally but we aren’t as dangerous in the final third as we were.

They are both fine players but neither Finn Azaz nor Niall Ennis looked to be back at their best. Danny Major on the other hand did well, particularly in the first half.

I hadn’t quite come to terms with Callum Wright but when he did come on for Azaz, he made a big difference. It’s easier to be full of running when you’ve only 20 minutes to play I suppose but he was a real live wire. Similarly. Hardie for Ennis.

We would have won this easily if one of many early chances has gone in but again, they didn’t.

What a goal from Hardie BTW, cheeky so-and-so. The commentators tried to say it was a cross gone wrong, but those of us who know him know better. Firstly, he loves a cheeky chip over the keeper’s head. Secondly, he never passes if he thinks he’s got more than a 1% chance scoring himself. Classic Hardie arrogance, in a good way.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Please notDistant don't enthuse too much....there are those that think....earning thousands of pounds and a trip to Wembley for a pizza pot (careful how you say that) trophy is just absurd and a waste of time.....pity it's on a Sunday.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Jusr read elsewhere thar we have won £155,000 so far + £20,000 from Sky semi fee......and then at least £50,000.....or if we win the final another £100,000.

So a possible £275,000 if we go all the way......not bad really.

5. notDistantGreen

No, but you can't but principles.

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I make no appology for thinking this competition make up is wrong. I have said all along that the Prem should go get their own reserve league and leave the EFL alone. The crowds generally for this shows that plenty agree with that. However, that doesn't mean I don't want Argyle to win it and make money. I however will not be attending on principal. The other light weights who are now baying for tickets can do as they please even though they didn't support it.

7. notDistantGreen

That sort of money is chicken feed compared to promotion:

Going from League 1 to the Championship increases EPL solidarity money from £0.7m to £4.65m (these may be old numbers but they give you a flavour) and 23 home games, with say 15,000 bums-on-seats, each paying an extra £5 is an extra £1.7m.

And then there's the distribution of EFL TV rights money: each Championship club gets £2.5m. I can't find the equivalent for League 1 but £0.8m is stuck in my brain from somewhere.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Agreed that promotion is the important thing here but making a few hundred grand on something else is also welcome. I will let plymborn go for his day out with pleasure. I have been wearing my Argyle wooly hat for the last couple of days when going out because it's been bleddy cold. I have been asked by a shed load of people if I have my ticket yet. The interest from others has been huge and I don't normally get asked questions about going to games when I wear it at other times. These are people who suddenly seem to care when the crowd numbers from previous games clearly shows they were definately not interested before. I have told them I won't be going and asked a few how many games they have been to for the competition. Amazingly I get very little response. I don't begrudge those who don't normally go from having a day out once in a decade. The more the merrieras far as I'm concerned if it gives Argyle a bit of cash they wouldn't normally have. One trip in a decade though doesn't make them a fan or a supporter.

9. notDistantGreen

As someone who lived away for years, I can confirm you can watch your team only rarely yet remain a committed supporter.

I also don’t hold it against anyone who does go to Wembley. Personally. I do have problem with the EPL juniors being crowbarred into it. Nevertheless, we did consider going but added to the philosophical objections, a) I’ve already committed to £1,000 taking we 4 to home games, b) in terms of time, that means going to all the remaining Saturday games except Derby and c) although I think we can go up automatically, we certainly would go to any playoff games including Wembley, so we’ve decided not to.

For every one person now saying “how can you not support your team at Wembley”, there’s another saying “don’t cave in now in opposition to the EPL”. Both have merit but there are other factors too.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Each to their own notdistant as I've said let the masses go if it is only for one game. Good luck to them and maybe in some cases it is the one game they can just afford. It ain't cheap doing football every game of a season and the ticket is just part of the expense. I though stated my disapproval of the make up of this competition from the start and have seen nothing to change my mind. I will not be going but don't object to anyone else who will and they can enthuse as much as they want to with my blessing.

11. notDistantGreen

Has anyone seen an update on how many Wembley tickets have been sold?

My neighbour, a season ticket holder until last season, when his son got sadly contracted Premier League fever, a strain known as aresenalitis, He's therefore in the General Sale category but would like to go.

I saw this a week ago, towards the end of the Season Ticket Holder phase, but nothing since.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sp...wembley-tickets-update-8213519?int_source=nba

I have had a look at the ticket sales page and it looks to be as if there are only about 1,500 remaining of the 40,000 allocated. Assuming they've all been released during the Flexi Ticket phase, which another week to run, that means there will be almost none left for General Sale.

I'm surprised there haven't been further updates....

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

On a Pasoti site it reckons that 25,000 has just been reached.......similar I think for Bolton.

Tickets don't go on general release until the morning of March 16th.....which is the earliest that I could get one......not sure if I'll be going this time.....I seem to bring bad luck by turning up.

None of my family are available on that Sunday.....and I'm not keen on a Sunday anyway.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  13. notDistantGreen

That doesn’t square up. If 25k have been sold from 40k, why are only 1,500 or so available to Flexi ticket holders now?

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Because they are only opening seats up for sale in blocks I think. If you read the pasoti thread (not all there are pages of it) there seems to be a bit of a complaint that is what is happening.

15. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

We'll forgive you Sensible if you go lol....got ticket today with the gods but need flight sorted.....no transport strikes on day no?

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not a chance.

17. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

train strikes on the Saturday planned also 10 days strike at heathrow 31 march so check out the transport HP

18. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

i will be in london from 30 March until 4 april so i will be popping over to the game with the compliments of the EFL .. a few tickets came my way .. lucky

hp_bedoboy likes this.
  19. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

10 days strike at Heathrow only from 31march? I plan to arrive on the day and leave early hours of morning and only hand luggage...so Heathrow closed in other words?

20. notDistantGreen

It’s 1,000 workers from a cohort of 4,000 who’ll be on strike, although it will still cause disruption. Other airports are available…. Not sure where you’re coming from…..