1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread EFL TROPHY (Papa Johns)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Oct 18, 2022.

1. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Was thinking arrive Heathrow T3/4 only hand baggage. T5 are on strike I read, leaving at Gatwick to Malta.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

hp_bedoboy likes this.
  3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

PAPA JOHNS TROPHY FINAL..........BOLTON V ARGYLE.

Over 70,000 tickets sold for this match.

Argyle really need to turn up this time to banish the disappointment and hurt that they received from the defeat against Wimbledon last time at Wembley.

These players weren't involved so they should be okay.

A big match to help set up the final league run in....a win will bolster the players confidence to go on and get promotion....no side at the moment can score more points than Argyle have available....it is in their hands.

So a win will be deserved and the start of a tremendous finale to a great season to remember.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Burton, Gillesphey, Houghton, Wilson, Scarr, Edwards, Hardie, Mayor, Mumba, C Wright, Matete.

Subs
    Parkes, Butcher, miller, Cosgrove, Azaz, Lonwijk, Galloway.

No......Ennis, Waine & Grant.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

...........................................................................Burton

...............Gillesphey..........................................Scarr..................................................Wilson

....Edwards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Matete.................................Houghton.........................Mumba

.................................................C Wright......................................Mayor

........................................................................Hardie

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Bolton....2-0 up in 10 mins.

This ain't going well.

Dempsey...4mins.
    Charles...10mins.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...H/T

Could have been far worse from the BBC website comments....at least 4-0.

Our defence has been ripped apart......surprised that Schumacher hadn't made changes to stem the tide.

Not there....not watching on TV....and not listening on the radio.....but comments suggest that Mayor is having a mare of a game and his yellow card is showing his frustration....Bolton fans screaming for a red.

Schumacher's half-time genius for changes is need in shed loads for the second half....an early goal would help build shattered confidence....not just for this match but the league run in.....a pity that Ennis isn't available....we look a bit thread bare up front.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

3-0...Kachunga...49mins.

Not to be....Argyle not at the races.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

.......and the pain continues....4-0...Jones...62mins.

Are we going to ship five goals for the fourth time this season......the Morecambe league game is looking huge now.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Coming up to full-time after four minutes of injury time.

Attendance today 79,389....biggest crowd in Europe this weekend.....Real Madrid might beat it later this evening.

Green army leaving in their thousands with 10 minutes still left.

4-0...F/T....why do we have these disasterous results this season....doesn't make sense.

Worrying how our defence didn't turn up today....spaces all over the pitch undefended.

Schumacher has a major job to get this team competitive for the away game at Morecambe.....a huge match now.

11. notDistantGreen

Shocking performance from Argyle. Once again you could drive not a tractor between our back 3 and the midfield 2 but a combine harvester.

Lucky not to have had Mayor sent off and even more so Sam Cosgrove.

When we lose, we tend to lose big. A terrible performance in front of 40,000 travelling up from the south west. Hopefully this doesn’t derail the whole season.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Am I glad that I didn't go.....I don't how you cope with 200 miles back to Plymouth after that plus the Wimbledon fiasco.

Div One rivals will be hoping that we've blown up like last year and we cannot cope with the big moments.....it could all go wrong in the league now.....and I wouldn't fancy us in the play-offs......it could be Bolton again.

Such a big game at Morecambe now.....and the Exeter game isn't too far behind it.

13. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I agree nit distant . Very poor
    From the start bolton wanted this they were far better . We need to put this behind us . I was sat in the front of the press box ams cosgeove tackle dead in front he should have gone it was bad
    Great crowd -almost 80k
    The pizza was nit for us

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

......and to put the icing on the cake.....that was the biggest win in the history of this competition.

The general synopsis over on pasoti is that we were lucky....not to be beaten by 6 or 7 goals.

Also lucky that Mayor and Cosgrove didn't get straight reds.

In Mayor's case a straight red would have been a blessing.....why, why, why is this man playing for Argyle (my favourite Rant) doesn't score goals....rarely is he the provider of a goal....just runs up blind alleys....i don't care how skillful he is....the end product is zilch.

Did Schumacher for once put the wrong team out.....they gifted so much space to Bolton....these players aren't greenhorns' they should have done so much better.....being two down in ten minutes was bad enough.....but to start the second half by throwing in the ball and literally gifting them their third goal was point, set and match before we could fight back.

I'll wake up in the morning and remember it all....that really sets you up for the day.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video......oh dear just nowhere to hide.....the team must really hurt after that display.

16. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Take away the prize money which will come in very handy. Go on then all you people sell me this competition now.

I watched it and yes even stayed for the full game. We were poor at the back although not all of the game was poor. Cosgrove should have had a straight red and so should Mayor. Mayor had no worse a game than anyone else incidentally. Bolton clearly were well up for this and threw the kitchen sink at us. They were well worth their victory and today Argyle got well and truly owned. However, before everyone falls on their various swords in a demonstration of despair lets just not get carried away shall we. I knew when I switched this on tonight the messages would be all woe is me. This game was worth no points. If you want to point at anything then point at previous defeats by a number of goals against. Everytime we have lost we have bounce back the next game. That's despite the meltdown by "supporters" in the aftermath.

17. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Yep, I was up early as usual and even paid the $15 to watch it on DAZN..
    I'm looking forward to the games over Easter.
    COYG...

18. notDistantGreen

Well it is all about how they recover. We can be a good team and there’s no reason why we can’t restart that tomorrow morning.

We must though learn how to defend and keep the ball when it’s not going well instead of getting more and more gung ho. It can’t be exhibition football all the time,

It would be wrong to blame all this on the back 3. It was Callum Wright that didn’t stay with the scorer of the first goal and two of the others came from giving the ball away too easily on the half way line or beyond and not being in the right shape to stop the breakaway.

19. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have just read a sensible post on pasoti amongst all of the quite stupid ones. In my opinion the stupid ones are those banging on about the 3 at the back system and how it isn't working. Someone even pointed out this was fact over the last 4 seasons since Lowe arrived. The sensible post pointed out the following, Year one we were promoted. Year 2 saw consolidation in league one. Year 3 saw us 7th with 80 points, Year 4 or this year we are second with 80 points so far and 8 games to go still, The poster concedes that when it goes wrong in some games it does so spectacularly but the proof of the system is there on the record for all to see. Generally it hasn't done. All this crap being spouted about us falling apart now and Morecambe being this mega game is also way over the top, We may lose a few more by the end of the season but I doubt we will fall apart.

20. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well it was an off day I myself obviously wanted is a win but I was nit to upset as it was the pizza cup as I said I was in London for a week md had some tickets from the efl so we went along . A great day amd I enjoyed it .. result nit . A bad result but not the end of season by a long way . So no negative from me
    I was sat right in from of the cow grove tackle it was bad I heard tjw player shout so we knew ams the way cosgrove walked away just after he made a silly challenge but nit malicious or he would have gone . Thank fully he didn’t
    No one had a great game .. Bolton wanted it amd deserved it .move in points to play for . I had a pizza last night at Pizza Hut