1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic England - Cricket

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by LD19SAFC, Jun 2, 2022.

1. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

1st test of 3 starts this morning.

New era, come on England.

Robertson and SAFCDRUM like this.
  2. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Should be a decent game.

3. Hettonista

Hettonista Well-Known Member

Obviously a great side New Zealand and we are poor at the moment so be very happy to see a competitive game with England improving whatever the outcome. Could be start of something good this

4. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Looking forward to this, should be a decent game.

Well done Ben Stokes on calling out the ticket prices as well.

5. Hettonista

Absolutely Chunk, some of the prices are crazy nowadays. Reading in the Times - Root needs 111 runs to get to 10,000 in Tests and be the 14th batsman to do so and joint 4th fastest, if he does it in this test, with Ponting. Lara fastest then Sangakkara, Younus Khan 3rd. He's some player like, lucky to have him

6. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

It's going to be a long road to get the test team back up the rankings, our bowling injuries don't help either.

Interesting that sky appear to have binned off showing much T20 this season, but the clubs showing it on you tube may be the way forward, i guess it's all about the Hundred for TV.

I really wish one of the Freeview channels picked up test, one day and country cricket coverage and showed it for everyone rather than behind a sky subscription, cricket benefitted massively from sky's money but the core county game needs better exposure

Hettonista likes this.
  7. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

I do think that the selectors have once again left themselves wide open to criticism by selecting Bairstow over Brook. I know that Bairstow actually had a half decent winter but he's not played any red ball cricket this season whilst Brook has already got over 800 runs.

Under the guise of the much talked about "red ball reset" it would have been a no lose decision to bring in Brook - trick missed I think.

Obviously Bairstow will now be top scorer in the series now that I've said that!!

Robertson and Chunksafc like this.
  8. Hettonista

Agree with you on the point about Freeview, my dad didn't go in for cricket much and no way he'd have paid for telly but I love it and go to a few games. Millions of kids in the same position now won't get into it which is a shame.

I'm not like me dad, had Sky put in before carpets, couch, windows the lot as the Ashes was starting. Mrs found it funny despite bairn on the way, had to sort it all out while she was in hospital. Thankfully put the house together in a week before she got out haha! She wasn't convinced I'd manage it like :biggrin:

Robertson and Chunksafc like this.
  9. Hettonista

I know what you're saying mate but I think it's difficult to drop players when last time they played they got a couple of centuries. Brook will get his chance soon, Bairstow knows he's got competition and it's his place to lose which is as it should be in my opinion. Nice there's some credible back up for the first time in a while to be honest!

Riever likes this.
  10. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

I binned sky off a year ago, thankfully my friendly neighbourhood firestick helps me watch all the sport without the multiple subscriptions

11. Hettonista

It's expensive mind isn't it? If the cricket wasn't on it I'd cancel for sure. Can't use ropey telly as any shenanigans and I lose my job.

The annual hour long negotiation with them over how much I'll pay is good practice mind, they have some skillful well trained staff there. Love it when they try and sell me multiroom and this that and the other and I point out only have one telly, nee smartphone and luddite tendencies. A few years ago one of them tried like hell to get me to pay for HD even when I'd told him my telly was a big childproof Phillips CRT made in 1995 that cost £7 off gumtree. He thought I was making it up haha! Genuinely admire their commitment to their jobs, they're good.

Is the quality decent on those firesticks Chunk, can you tell the difference?

12. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

The quality on my firestick is just as good as having a dish attached to the house, all be it a slight delay as the signal bounces off Pluto then to my house.

All the games and things I watch have been either full HD or 4k, there are options for standard HD or SD and the difference is staggering

13. Hettonista

Sounds good mate. The delay's alright though for the cricket. Can potter about doing stuff listening on the wireless and then if anything happens watch it "live" on tv. Anyway here we go, let's get some early wickets cos it looks nice for batting

Chunksafc likes this.
  14. LD19SAFC

I see the draw is favourite at the start of play. Bad weather about?

15. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Possibly rain tomorrow, but apart from that weather looks decent

LD19SAFC likes this.
  16. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

What a catch and what a start

FellTop and Robertson like this.
  17. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

Set the catching standard there. Super grab.

Makemstine Roger and Chunksafc like this.
  18. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Bit of juggling but 2nd wicket gone

New Zealand 2-2

19. LD19SAFC

Great start…

Chunksafc likes this.
  20. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

And another one gone

7-3