1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England tactics

Discussion in 'International Football General Chat' started by NJSpurs, Jun 12, 2012.

1. NJSpurs

NJSpurs Member

I heard some guy on the radio talking about how he is torn between accepting that England are borderline mediocre and play to their strength, good defence or having them try to play exiting football. If they get to the semis or even the final playing basically turgid football is it a success? Over the last few weeks I have thought that this would be ok but the more I think about it I really wish Hodgson had taken a crazy experimental team and just shot his wad. The reality is we are not going to win this and the only legacy that will come out of this tournament is that we were dull, good defensively but couldn't create ****.
    So we could have had some wild mad ride with young enthusiastic players and a couple of senior guys, no Terry no Gerrard. It could have been a start for the future instead we are just treading water. I know we have had a few injuries that might have prohibited our 'creative' style but to not even try to make an effort leaves me more depressed. It is almost like watching the decline of the British car industry where once we had Aston Martin, Jags and Rolls Royce we ended up with the mini metro and finally nothing.
    1-1 with France it's ok but we barely tried to win that game. Almost as if we we were trying to avoid defeat not play for win.
    Maybe we will get to the QF but the lasting image of England will be no different than the last few tournaments, dull and boring

2. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

England's problem has essentially been the same for the last 40 years- we chop and change prior to a major tournament and never look a really cohesive unit. This shone through in last night's game where, in the early stages, we looked nervous and very mediocre.
    I wondered if ITV's pundits were watching the same game...to claim at half time that "England were controlling the game" was ludicrous. France looked far more comfortable on the ball but, like many teams in this tournament, lack an aggressive striker.
    In reality, this competition is more open than people imagine. Russia has impressed me the most but Italy, who were much better than expected, may go far.

3. Kentish Man

Kentish Man Member

England did a great job last night - Yes! Controlling the game up until halftime IMO. The French have a much better attacking line-up and our lads limited them to only a handful of attempts - 21 games unbeaten going into the competition.....

The issue for me at the moment is lack of attackive potency on our part. The return of Rooney should go a long way to solving that problem.

4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Play how we did in the first half hour before we sat deep. We played them off the park and deservedly went ahead. We just need a bit more self belief. We got one up and Gerrard went and sat on top of our back 4 not allowing them to push out and maintain the high line which was working. We still have Rooney to come too which will allow us to move Young onto one of the wings where we are particularly weak. Milner looked poor and is more a guy you bring on to sure up a game. The Ox I like but looks more of a sub too, an impact player you bring on to change the game. He is still raw and naive. Its just decision making he needs to improve because the boy is extremely talented. Overall a good solid start and something to build from. Learn our lessons about getting deep after a goal and we might just get out of the group and surprise a few of the negative nancys who for some reason think we're Brazil?!

5. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

We have to accept that we are not the best team in the competition.
    As long as the XI selected go out there and play with a bit of spirit I'll be happy.
    If Hodgson's tactical nous can get us further in the tournament then great - even if it means parking the bus against Spain in a quarter final and going through on Pens!!!

6. TheBallWinner

TheBallWinner Member

It's the Hodgson way.

7. Josh_R

Josh_R New Member

Definitely the Hodgson way but Personally think we need some good width on sunday, Id play Walcott from the off in place of Milner, As proved against Spain they can deal with the ball being knocked about in front of them all day! need to get at them down the flanks!

8. TheBallWinner

TheBallWinner Member

I can see Walcott coming on at the 75th minute mark. It'll be a very tight game and England will more than likely play very similar to what they did last night in a hope of hitting Italy at the set pieces.

9. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

The side has shape, works hard and has a bit of spirit - makes a change!

10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Can't agree with the OP that we should basically throw caution to the wind and adopt a style we're just not up to playing. This team has exceeded expectations so far, and I'm not going to start griping about the way that's been achieved. I trust this England manager to make the right call, he's done it every time so far. Even his substitutions have all payed off.

We're not Spain, we're England. We won't be winning any plaudits for our feather-footed passing, but we can play to our strengths. If that involves defending like lions and employing a brick outhouse of a Centre Forward as an outlet, that's fine by me. I'm hoping to see more of Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott, but I'll let Roy decide if and when.

11. ProblematiqueSaint

You go into these tournaments to win them - we will never play like Spain or Germany, let'em call us prehistoric or say we're stuck in the dark ages, - its effective and gets us results, I thought Spain were equally as boring with there tiki-taka football personally, we did it against them at Wembley and Croatia did it a few days ago (albeit a lapse in concentration)

12. Josh_R

Josh_R New Member

For Me, aslong as we go out to win it in 90 mins and show we are positive from the off then regardless of what the result may be We can say we tried our best and went for the win, sitting back all game and just hoping for a break is not going to help us progress because like against germany in 2010 we will get battered!

13. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I really hope England do well, purely for irony sake. For the first time in my life I've not seen flags on nearly every car and every one saying "We're gonna win it". Before this tournament people had England maybe scraping 2 points and Roy being a disaster. I know it won't happen but I'll be amused for weeks if England do something impressive.

14. TheBallWinner

TheBallWinner Member

Same again from Roy. Now we're out, I think people will latch onto the fact that what England did wasn't that impressive...

15. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

England won't do anything until we start to actually teach kids how to play football

16. Chica Italiana y Espanola

Haha maybe if England played like Spain tiki-taka you would have won :D Enjoy the final because either Italy or Spain is going to win :)

17. Pete Doherty

Pete Doherty New Member

You're a complete moron.

How is passing to the opposition constantly effective?

Spain have won the last two major tournaments.

****ing idiot.