1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England v Sweden quarter final

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Jul 5, 2018.

1. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

What channel was the game where Sterling is wonderful on, it certainly wasn’t on the one I watched.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

BBC

paultheplug likes this.
  3. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I can’t believe how routine that felt.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

City TV?

5. <laugh>

6. humanbeingincroydon

Whatever you do, don't click "Sterling" on Twitter's trending tab, because this is what you'll see...

7. Gary Neville was obviously watching that other one judging by this assessment! Strongly believe there is a parallel Universe in which the world happens in diametric opposition to our own! <laugh>

'Neville: Sterling criticism disgusting'
    http://www.skysports.com/share/11429283

8. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Skybet have France vs Inger-Spurs final as favourite,
    Bel-Spurs vs Inger-Spurs second.
    The RDBD : Reasonable Sterling criticism is justified.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

The big Sterling miss showed him up for the black hole of a player that he is. Okay he ran the ball into the goalkeeper. That's one thing. However, having got the ball back. he had Harry Kane to his inside, screaming for the ball. This is one of the top strikers in the world, your team captain and the probable Golden Boot winner begging for the ball. Sterling hasn't scored a goal for England for 3 years. So, he ignores Harry and promptly ****s it up royally.

In the second half, I think when we were 2 - 0 up, Harry had the ball just around the right edge of the penalty area. He could have had a shot. It probably would have been blocked but it might have been deflected in or for a corner. He wasn't greedy and played the ball to the player on his outside.......it was Sterling. He ****ed it totally.

If I was playing in that team, I wouldn't be giving him the ball in the final third of the pitch, unless it was essential and never in the penalty box. Whatever else he does, he's supposed to be a forward and needs to threaten the goal. He doesn't. Anything else he does isn't going to put that right. I'd pick Kieran Trippier as a forward in front of him right now.

10. This 100%
    We can all see his 'runs' but they don't achieve anything 9 times out of 10 - and he ****s up the 10th!
    He doesn't have (or seem to have) any understanding with Harry - never predicting a flick on, or as you identify, a better option.

I didn't want him to start yesterday, but hoped he would come good. He didn't - in spades! There must be a better option? Push Dele up with Kane and play Rashford deeper - or give Delph a go.

A Sky journo banging on about how much he contributed yesterday could only come up with 6 key moments in the entire 90 minutes - 2 were ****-off and another was his substitution!! FFS!!!

But I still put money on Sterling starting on Weds night.... <doh>

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2018

11. The RDBD

I get the feeling that yesterday has reactivated Allis'
    "muscle memory" , and he decides to go WTF he wants
    on the pitch to support Kane as he does at Spurs.

And if that means Sterling gets in the way and needs the
    ball taken off him, so be it.

12. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

What a luxury to have a player who can make disruptive runs. The problem is they are as disruptive to England's progress as they are to the opposition. He is not just unlucky with his finishing he is hesitant and lacking in foresight. I heard I think it was Shearer say he is lacking in confidence. Yes I would be lacking in confidence if I played like Stirling. Gary Neville was a top defender it does not follow that he has any special overall knowledge of how forward play works. For me he has proved he doesn't.
    It's simple stuff really, if the player at the front of England's attack cannot convert chances it will make scoring from open play more difficult. It is a complete nonsense to have one of the worlds top strikers in your team and not have him at the front of your attack. For me if Stirling missed a few chances but contributed to the attack then fair enough, and that seems to be the argument. He does not contribute enough IMO and he blocks others from being in goalscoring postions. He is a faster running than Darren Bent but he is a liability just the same and how many 'football experts' wasted millions on him. I am sorry Mr.Neville doesn't like the critics of Stirling but then Mr Neville I don't much like your opinions and you get paid for them. Pipe down and think yourself lucky that people think you are worth paying for your opinions. I don't

13. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I'm lost for words over Sterling because it's all been said before. As Spurf says the weird thing is we're now finding Sterling as the most forward player in the team, buggering up Kane's game, whilst he has mainly buggered Dele's game by playing where Dele is more suited. Although to be honest I'm not sure where Sterling is supposed to be playing. It's like he's got a licence to play where he wants and be as awful as he wants and the pundits ignore the huge things that go wrong and simply praise him for his effort. But we're carrying him AND he's affecting the effectiveness of the team. We haven't won because of him we've won despite him. Would we have got anywhere near the semis in the other part of the draw? Of course not. We've simply been better than the opposition, but that's going to get more difficult now against better footballing teams. So this is "the myth of Sterling" (TMOS). TMOS states that the fact he can't score isn't important (and please please really thing about the implications of that statement when a so-called expert comes out with it) because his job is to use his pace and skill to disrupt the opposition to enable other players to do better. Except he doesn't! And that's not where our strengths lie anyway. We've done brilliantly at set pieces. We're not going to "out-football" France or Belgium (and probably not Croatia either), and we haven't scored many from open play against lower quality opposition... but we might out-muscle them and win by set pieces. Sterling is worse than irrelevant for this. He will stop Kane playing his natural game and take the place of someone that would be more effective. You might as well drop him, play Dele further forward and put someone big in midfield like Loftus-C or Dier to maximise our set piece chances. Our reputation on set pieces goes before us and will scare the opposition. They are unlikely to be scared by TMOS. Don't try and play a game we're not as good as the opposition at, play to our strengths.

Spurf likes this.
  14. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

This is the blindingly obvious that the 'experts' cannot or will not see. TMOS indeed.

15. The RDBD

Sterling is an ATTACKING MF (on paper) .
    His JOB DESCRIPTION therefore is to SCORE GOALS
    or make the KEY PASSES that lets somebody else score.

For England he currently does NEITHER.

The reality is that he prospers in a team where they have
    a brutal MF/forward attack (Poool 2013-14, Citeh 2017-18)
    that also allows his failings to be ignored.

England are NOT such a team. So go figure.

16. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

England's success so far has been due to the performances of a number of previously unheralded players - Pickford, Trippier & Maguire especially. They have all stepped up in a big way.
    Kane has been ruthless with the chances which have come his way.
    Henderson has done a lot of work as the sole defensive midfielder.
    Lingard has covered a lot of ground doing the work of a midfielder and getting forward to support the attack. Scored a great goal and crossed well for Alli's goal too.
    Stones, Walker & Young haven't really been tested defensively. There have been one or two errors but they are experienced players and have done OK so far.
    Alli, like Lingard, has had to do a lot of work in midfield, but has otherwise been quiet until his goal yesterday. That showed his value to the team. England can't seem to score from open play. That type of goal is typical though of the threat they can provide if the chance arises.

Sterling though has been poor. His play has been awful - poor control, poor awareness and poor decision making. However, the issue here is whether the team dynamic and possibly team morale should be changed for one player, however badly they are playing.
    If he's dropped, replacing him with Dier or Loftus-Cheek requires a number of other players to play different roles and in different positions in the team. I can't see that happening. So the only option is to bring in Rashford to play the same role.
    Dropping Sterling might be bad for morale though. One player in the squad then needs a bit of consoling and the mood can change in the camp. That's why the old adage "never change a winning team" has some force. Southgate's first XI is clear and it is only likely to be changed if the team's not winning. If Sterling performs badly v Croatia, there is the option to sub him - and that might happen sooner rather than later if England are not on top in the game.

vimhawk likes this.
  17. humanbeingincroydon

Sorry, why are we discussing Andros Townsend in this thread?

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  18. As if to prove a point. Get Sterling the **** out of Dele's way!

19. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Not for one second do I believe that Sterling will be dropped. He has been brought in to provide pace and trickery and to be fair to him and Southgate, he has done both. Unfortunately, that's all he's provided. There's just no end product to him.

I heard some pundit say that he's difficult to mark because even he doesn't know what he's going to do. If I was playing against him, I'd not get too tight, give him some space,le t him have the ball and allow him to **** it up for himself. The ball's never really under control, he runs with it but it never seems to be going in the direction that you'd want it to go. As soon as he's got to get it at goal or to a colleague, he ****s it up. It seems to be a mixture of poor technical skill and a poor mentality.

England have had numerous 'flyers' over the years. I remember Tony Daly and Li'l Theo but plenty of others have come and gone. They've all been ****. Once in a blue moon, they'll have a blinder. L'il Theo scored a hat-trick once. It was only the once. Maybe Raheem will have his day in the next 2 games? I dearly hope that he does and puts in 3. I will love him for it whilst expecting him to be dropped by England and Citeh in a couple of years and be making his way to Everton.......

20. He’s just a **** Aaron Lennon <laugh>