1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours EPL eye Les Reed for new technical director

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Qwerty, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

2. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Problem solved for the majority.

3. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

So we get relegated due to inept leadership, Then he gets a get out and a promotion to.. Couldn't make it up.

Still, It's a good thing for us.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  4. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

The last year has been a **** up majorly, but he's done an outstanding job overall since he's been here.

KillerCephalopod and mowgli like this.
  5. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Hope he takes the position.......Will be good for Southampton football club. Trouble is will he be the one to nominate his successor? Oh I hope not...................
    If they do appoint him is he the right fit for the EPL? If he's not for us will he be right for the EPL? Doubt it myself....but hey what do I know.......

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Be very careful what you wish for. We've gone from League 1 to the EPL and had good years apart from last season where boo, hoo we finished 8th and had a Cup Final. This is the first seriously bad season, though perhaps the signs were there the season before. People have to make their mind up....if the bad stuff is all down to Les then that means the good stuff was as well....as he has been here throughout. There are other people involved in this club....we can't be sure what the main problem is.

I think our luck has just run out....bringing in relatively unknown players does throw up some gems and some dross. The seriously good ones have made us forget that we have also had failures every season. We have brought in decent players recently, but not the sure fire strikers that we so desperately needed. The team is unbalanced and this was aggravated by hiring an unsuitable manager and then being too understanding and not getting rid of him earlier. Was that down solely to Les or did the board think that hiring and firing wasn't our style. The draws didn't help....they gave false hope.

I can see why the EPL would want Les with his vast experience. I don't know any more than anyone else if he is to blame for recent failures, so am not going to mud sling. There have been good times. Won't cry either if he leaves, because to be honest we have bigger problems. However, as I said at the start...be careful what you wish for.

7. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

As usual a balanced view :)

Rule No.5 and davecg69 like this.
  8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I can see the attraction of this job for Reed....he has been here a while through exciting times, but may fancy a change....though I suspect he'd rather leave us in a good place.

9. Beddy

No Fran he is not the only one to make bad decisions....as well as a few good ones admittedly. However the buck stops somewhere, he is in charge of football matters. Its ok for him to take the praise when things go right......but he has to take it on the chin if they go wrong. He is responsible for the position we find ourselves in.
    He should have made previous managers see out their contracts at least........(Poch and RK) Would have given us more time to seek better replacements rather than have to rush into it. Generally other similar decisions have not gone for him, and the new owners will not have helped.

10. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Please take it and be gone.

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Everyone's a winner, baby.

Except us, of course.

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Has he seen the water level around this ship all of a sudden?

AshbySaint likes this.
  13. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

You know as well as I do that contracts don’t mean a thing in football anymore. If someone (manager or player) wants to go, they’ll go and the best you can hope for is for some compensation. Make my blood boil .....

14. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I still maintain RK WANTED to see out his 3 years , but no , the powers that be tried to force him into a longer deal .

15. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Captain goes down with his ship

16. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

Great post Fran...Represents my way of thinking in an extremely articulate manner

17. Beddy

Well to a degree you are correct.........Just as I said though they could not contemplate talking to another club until Saints gave them permission. Had RK or Poch gone on strike or something daft like that it could have been the end of their respective managerial careers. Under those circumstance Saints IMO would have been due a hell of a lot of compensation from the individuals themselves. Breaching your contract or false approaches is a costly business even in football circles trust me. Liverpool were very, very lucky guys.

18. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Had I read this in 2016 I would've been very concerned about replacing a man that was instrumental in our rise in the Liebherr era. I don't know quite what has changed, but since the reshuffle after Gareth Rogers left the club, things are clearly not quite right at board level currently. That might not be all Reed's fault and we don't really know the brief he has been given by the new owner, but a bit of fresh blood might not be the worst thing to happen to shake things up a bit.

19. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

I know Les Reed has been less the perfect for the past 18 months or so, but lets not forget how much he helped the club get to the position it was in over the last few years. Almost seems like the Puel situation, if he leaves be careful what you wish for...

mowgli and Saints Fan4Life like this.
  20. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

He's been in a different job at the club for about the last 18 months though I believe.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.