1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours EPL eye Les Reed for new technical director

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Qwerty, Apr 5, 2018.

1. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

What, like VVD...

2. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Interesting response suggesting not all within the club respect him as much as I thought. I guess no one can be universally liked. That aside, I suspect he would much rather hand over when Saints are in a better position.

3. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If Les has the autonomy here that it appears he has, I would be surprised if he walked out (especially if we were to somehow survive). He'd be walking into a job where his power would be less, and he could find himself back out the door again within a year, such is the nature of the revolving door.

Unless of course there is a heart in there, and he accepts that he has totally messed it up recently and should stand aside for someone else.

4. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Possibly. What’s the salary? He might just see it as a nice final pay-day before he retires, especially if we go down. Hard to say.

5. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Hmm my contact says...there is bets on whether he will go or not........most saying he will stay!! Make of that what you will.

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Salary is one thing, but the main thing is if he wants the job. Does he fancy it, does he see it as a feather in his cap?

7. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

**** the EFL.

Will his role consist of thinking up ways to screw over clubs while having hissy fits about utterly meaningless rubbish like whether a club's chairman buys his players McDonald's or not?

Number 1 Jasper and SaintinNZ like this.
  8. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

My contact said he tried push Reed out the door but he wouldn't leave

9. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Maybe. Without knowing him personally I wouldn’t like to say what’s most likely to influence his decision.

10. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

We live in hope........
    Fingers crossed

11. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Must be a pretty big contact.

12. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

So is this thread transfer rumours or just about Les (which appears to be a bit of a non story)?

I see Bertrand Tadic and Boufal are all linked with moves away in the summer irrespective of where we end up. No problem for me regarding Bertie and Tadic. Both have served us well. Boufal has been both talented and frustrating in equal measures but surely has a release clause relating to the R word.

What really annoys me is Matt Targett voicing his 'surprise' that no one at Southampton has been in touch since his loan move and he is now thinking about a permanent move to Fulham. The club really need to get him back next season (assuming that bridge is still in place!!)

13. SaintsFan86

Not really up to Target, he signed a contract..

14. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Like everyone else who has left?

15. SaintsFan86

Fulham will have to pay a sizeable fee anyway, so we will just reinvest.

16. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Here's a thought, maybe Les' hands have been tied all through this debacle. It's possible that Kat didn't want to spend going into a take over and Gao didn't want to spend much at all until it looked like the **** was hitting the fan. Keeping hold of Pell may have been more of a financial decision (compensation, new manager etc) until Gao was forced to do something. Anyway, that's what my contact has told me.
    Mind you, he works in a garage and also says I'll need a new set of tyres soon so it could be all bollox.

17. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

All depends on relegation stuff in the contracts that won't come out unless we are relegated. I can't imagine Targett being on a huge wage, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Stephens is on something like 45k now with the new deal he signed. I have no idea what that is like in comparison to Championship wages nowadays but sounds a lot.

As for the re-investment point that is not a foregone conclusion, have to see how Gao approaches it, so far (the VVD sale) the signs don't look promising but will give him another window before writing him off.

SaintsFan86 likes this.
  18. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

For all the criticism regarding reinvestment I would prefer them to keep the money in the bank for another transfer window rather than blowing millions on an average 2nd /3rd choice just to appease the fans.

19. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Certainly wouldn’t surprise me if some of that were true, and it’s something I’ve thought as well. But then, that’s not my main issue with the bloke.

20. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

That his hands are tied with money and the lack of ambition from the owners is something that I've thought over the last few years too. I was hoping that would change with new owners as I thought that was the entire point of getting new owners,...sadly that seems far too hopeful. Even so, it sounds as though there are far more problems with Les than that.

It's Only A Game likes this.