1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Euro 2016 Competition

Discussion in 'Football Betting' started by Ste D, Jun 8, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

This from Owen Gibson, Chief Sports Correspondent of the Guardian, pretty much hits the nail on the head:

"There will be understandable reluctance to apportion blame until the full facts are known. Some will blame heavy handed police tactics, others Russian provocation. Some will question why an already potentially problematic clash was scheduled in Marseille in the first place. But perhaps it is also time for the wider contingent of England fans to be honest about the fact that colonising a central point, draping it with England flags and aggressively bellowing “No surrender to the IRA”, “10 German bombers”, “If it wasn’t for the English you’d be krauts” and “**** off Europe, we’re all voting out” with beery belligerence is in itself an act of aggression."

2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed, well done Wales, got a lot of time for the Welsh in all things sport. Wish to hell they'd beaten the Kiwis, great effort though <applause>. England are really up against it, glad I prefer Rugby Union, last year's World Cup notwithstanding! :emoticon-0101-sadsm

3. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Yep he has nailed it. Embarrassing to be English at a big tournament.......again. The Russian FA are facing investigation due to the behaviour of their fans inside the stadium the English FA are not. So all this agressive and anti social behaviour outside the stadium does not concern UEFA. It also amazes me that these thugs aren't teenage kids either. They're largely men approaching middle age. Pathetic people.
    As for the football, it wasn't a bad performance by any means. Rooney played well and gave his all. He would be in my starting 11 every time. Sterling a different matter though. No touch, no composure and no football brain. How anybody can think he's worth £100k a week is beyond me. Could really blame Hart for the goal but that's 4 finals games on the trot where he hasn't made a save and he nearly made a mighty balls up at the death.

4. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Felt England looked a lot more like a cohesive unit yesterday. Obviously a kick in the balls to concede a sloppy late goal of that nature but I think on yesterday's performance we could give Wales a lot of problems.

That said- I have two concerns:

1) Harry Kane. Love the kid, EPL Top scorer. However, whatever we have said or done to him these past 4 weeks, he looks woefully off the pace. We've turned him from menace to a one-paced corner taker. I think Vardy would have terrorised that Russian defence late on. I think Wales might struggle with pace so Vardy has to play a part next time. I worry if Kane has hit burnout. He's played about 60 odd games since August I think!

2) Hart. He seems to struggle with very low or very looping shots/headers. Hope he bounces back to his best for his and England's sake.

As for the fracas, there's a lot of eye witnesses now unraveling this media tale of England fans being to blame. Northern Ireland fans reported the same things this morning- you've basically got French hooligan gangs rocking up and taunting before hurling objects. Basically looking for trouble. I think there is a lot more to it than English lager louts. Don't get me wrong, there's a small percentage of absolute ****ers who will be relishing the trouble and singing our frankly embarrassing colonial songs, but the media is being twisted and please bear in mind the Referendum sub plot to all of this- the BBC and Sky want you to vote in, so if we can portray ourselves as an embarrassment and as the problem as opposed to any European people or countries being true problem, they'll be able to belittle that nationalism that threatens the Remain vote.

I know that sounds a bit mad, but trust me the media are creating all of this for a reason.

5. OddDog

Staff Member

Some footage on social media of that Russian mob Toppy, these guys look absolutely mental. Only about 20 of them but all built like tanks, highly organised and clearly intent on more than a punch up. Right-wing extremists sporting black Lokomotiv Moscow shirts. They need rounding up and sending back to Russia before they kill someone.

beeforsalmon likes this.
  6. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Some videos of the clashes on Liveleaks,not a pretty sight.Alcohol definitely a factor in all this unfortunately.

7. OddDog

Staff Member

I blame Danny Dyer .................... <laugh> <doh>

Ste D likes this.
  8. stick

stick Bumper King

Hey you didn't put Turkey v Croatie on this list man

9. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

The problem with apportioning blame on the trouble we've seen is that in every tournament there's always one constant- the English! It's the same old same old every tournament. Pissed up mobs terrorising the locals with their antics, wrecking bars, singing racist songs, it's a deeply rooted issue the English football team abroad has had for as many years as I can remember and it doesn't seem to be stopping any point soon. I'd definitely agree the Russians are a sick mob, or more accurately their 'hooligan' element are and no doubt many decent, innocent English fans were set upon yesterday. These were individuals who were clearly organised for trouble. Now, a really, really stupid idea would be to host a major tournament in Russia with their right wing/militant hooligan mobs.... Oh wait <doh>

On the football itself, I feel we're yet to see a good side. France as hosts are well fancied but I'm not convinced by them. England bested a bad Russian side everywhere bar the scoreline, but were so wasteful. Sterling looks like being the biggest waste of air allowed on a pitch in France. If Roy picks him against Wales there'd want to be some major questions asked.

Spain win the lot is my prediction. Hopefully my wee lot don't get beaten by the Poles today but being optimistic a score draw looks achievable. It'd be nice to see the home nations progress past the group stages but it very much looks the two Irish sides will struggle to pass this hurdle!

10. stick

stick Bumper King

23 mins gone and 0-0, if it's ok I will go 0-1

11. OddDog

Staff Member

Copying my sister eh stick? ;)

Beefy - your "wee lot" were at it with the French last night in Nice ..........................

12. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

No bother stick-my bad there so I'll lose out on that one

13. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Where did England go wrong? Very simple – look at the man in the dugout, Roy Hodgson. England were winning the game and he did what every England manager for the last twenty years has done: instead of pressing home the advantage (i.e. bring on Jamie Vardy and go for a second goal) he tried to shut up shop and play negatively to hold on to the 1-0.

Looking at the England cricket and rugby union teams, what we need to do is get an Australian in to manage the England football team. We have tried and failed with a Swede, an Italian and the English, so let us get somebody in from a sports culture with a winning mentality.

14. OddDog

Staff Member

What about zee Germans QMII? Jürgen Klinsmann as next England manager? Doing great with the USA

15. stick

stick Bumper King

Looking down I think a few others like me may have copied your list mate. Could be a Rule 4 lol.

16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

The violence should be universally condemned but I hope that somebody at FIFA is watching events in France because the next World Cup is in RUSSIA. The black-shirted hoodlums that were in Marseille city centre will be on their home turf in Moscow.

UEFA will give the Russian FA a slap on the wrist and a fine of tens of thousands of Euros, which is pathetic. All the evidence that I have seen shows that at the end of the game there was no separation between the rival fans and a group of Russians went looking to cause trouble. Most of the English did the right thing and just ran; a few rather stupidly stood their ground. Where the heck were the French police? How did the Russians get into the ground with flares and other dangerous pyrotechnics? From what I heard on the radio this morning, one of the BBC’s reporters got stopped at the entrance by security because he had two mobile phones.

17. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Yeah Stick about five have done the same.Not sure what to do with this now cus realistically everyone would have most likely have went for a Croatia win. I could just give 2 points as a one off or maybe even one point.Any suggestions?

18. OddDog

Staff Member

Give us all the 0-1 that my sister tipped - bound to ****ing happen <doh> <laugh>

19. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Indeed, but thankfully it was an isolated event, seemingly started by the French. All good so far on match day anyway <ok>

20. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Because there were five missed results im going to be generous and give everyone 2 points as I'm sure everyone would have gone for a Croatia win myself included.Hope this is ok with the rest of the forum?!This is a one off though so going forward any missed results tough titties.