1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Euro 2016 football Discussion

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by StanDMan, Jun 12, 2016.

1. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Here's some good news.
    For all those people who have purchased an England top during the Euros, you should still fall in the 14 day returns guarantee!

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Outside of the Welsh team doing well it's been a cracking tournament so far.

HRH Custard VC likes this.
  3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

How does that ****ing work? Skrtel, **** all season for liverpool, plays a blinder for his country. Sturridge, lethal for liverpool, screws up the best chance of the night for England?

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep crazy. Opposite for England, Vardy and Kane lethal all season in the PL, then can't hit a barn door in the Euros

5. Archers Road

I would have put my house on Vardy scoring whem one on one with the keeper, even if it was only half a chance.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep, he was slotting them in with ease all season.

7. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Vardy worked the keeper ... very rare that he doesn't ... keeper made a good save ... Irish keeper got man of the match yesterday for similar saves ... nobody harping on about how **** the German finishing was ... just saying.... would also point out that no other English player would have got onto that particular chance ...

... but the biggest difference is in the creativity department ... from yesterday Germand, Spain and Croatia - midfield's full of guile and creativity ..

Ozil incredibly good for the Germans ... Wilshire abjectly poor for the English ... the reality is that we are way below the standard of the very good teams here ... we just have no real invention in our midfield ... most gifted technical footballers are Lallana and Sturridge ...(possibly Barkley but he is sadly out of form) ... will excuse Wilshire on fitness grounds ... but he should have been left at home and shouldn't appear again ...

8. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

You lot should give Barkley a go, I think he'd do well if given the chance.

9. Archers Road

Wilshire abjectly poor was he? Remind me who played Vardy in for the chance he missed?

Agree with quite a lot of your post though.

PINKIE likes this.
  10. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Wilshire is a very good player, when fit. Which ain't very often. He's clearly not match fit at the moment and should have been used as an impact sub.

11. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... I'm not actually having a go at Wilshire strangely (I realise that my choice of phrase might suggest I am) ... I don't think Roy has done him any favours by bringing him when he is barely half fit and seemingly trying to bring him up to full fitness in actual tournament games ... he tired markedly before getting subbed and he looked completely dejected as he came off .. on his day, and when fully fit, he is arguably the most technically gifted midfield player we have ...

I'm inwardly seething that we appear to be reliving the injured Beckham and Rooney at tournaments scenario ... we never seem to learn ..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  12. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Ronaldo...ooh, bitchy. <laugh>

13. Archers Road

Don't necessarily disagree with that. Except I thought - and I seem to be alone in this - we actually looked better in the first half. Not sure that was down to personnel either way. But I like Wilshire and I like the fact Roy has gone, when the oossibility presemts itself, with the sort of players who can create a bit of magic, a bit of stardust. Believe it or not, there are still plenty of voices who would rather call for Andy Carrol than Daniel Sturridge, for examolr; or Andros Townsemd before Wilshire. Roy favours, by and large, the stylish footbsllers over the robust athletes. For that I salute him.

PINKIE likes this.
  14. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

.. I'd agree that the first half performance wasn't too bad ... we could (and perhaps should) have gone in 2 or even 3 up ... the problem comes from when teams decide to park the bus - Slovalia realised at half time that a draw would see them through and set-up accordingly ... we were lacking in any real invention to change things ... and taking off Lallana (albeit he was tiring) further diminished our capabilities in that regard ...

15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He really is an idiot.

16. Archers Road

I don't think Lallana had ever played 90 minutes of football, at any time in his career.

I'm still far more worried about our defence than our ability to score. The goals will come, on another day we'd have beaten Slovakia 3-0. Our defence, however, still hasn't been tested yet but we've still conceded twice.

17. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, I think Carroll might have been just what we needed against Slovakia. We certainly didn't look like scoring any other way, especially 2nd half. He's shown what a handful he can be for any defence. Simple, crude even, but can be very effective!

18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Not much use without wingers who can deliver though.

19. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't understand the whole lot of negativity about England.
    England has Exceeded all expectations already. Have very good chance to progress beyond Quarter.

Teams like Spain, Portugal have under-achieved, compared with England.

Archers Road likes this.
  20. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

That's right you're doing really well, keep it up. <whistle>