1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Euro 2021 Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by RogerisontheHunt, May 24, 2021.

1. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

They're always the worst. I said on the Prem board as soon as he did it he'd be out six weeks. I did pretty much the same in my 20's playing at Bebington, trying to be a smart arse by putting backspin on a volleyed, 40 yard pass. As soon as I kicked the ball it felt like someone had rubbed six tubes of Deep Heat into my thigh. Then, weirdly, although the leg felt 'normal', it just wouldn't work properly. I'd walk four paces and it just sort of buckled under me.

I drove home okay, but couldn't get out the car on my right leg, so had to move the seat back and somehow lift my left leg over the steering wheel. Basically, I couldn't put bodyweight on my right leg - it didn't hurt to do so, it just buckled after a few steps.

Anyway, I took @ two months before I was running, but I was no athlete like Trent. I will say this though - it went a few more times over the next decade; never as bad as the first time, but it felt like there was a fault line in my thigh. Trent will be getting far better treatment than I did though.

Diego likes this.
  2. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

Watch them push Henderson until he breaks down again. Southgate will be home early based on the game against Austria. We are shocking.

3. moreinjuredthanowen

Speculation Henderson and maguire will miss the euros

Obviously rubbish as one is in a boot and the other hasnt been crocked by southgate yet.

Prince Knut likes this.
  4. saintKlopp

It's quite obvious that Hendo is really proud of playing for his country and is desperate to do so, and for his sake I should hope he makes it. However, from a selfish point of view, I'm so fed up with our players getting crocked for something I have no more than a passing interest in I'd rather he didn't go at all. He's only just back from a lengthy injury and it'd be just typical for him to try too much too soon, and the national teams don't care how many players they break in the long run.
    They can have Marvin though.

Prince Knut, Bumps and Zanjinho like this.
  5. moreinjuredthanowen

he is going for nothing. he is unfit, period. he's not played since February and he already has no marks like agbonlahor saying he is selfish for even going. Like as if he's forced southgate to pick him!!

England get 3 games then have potentially 4 games after (7 games over exactly 4 weeks.)

Most likely he would play once at best even if he doesn't get another injury.

He is clearly not going to be bale to play 90mins in high summer.

Southgate had the luxury of 26 man squad but picked and injured taa with 4 rbs (a fudge) and he's basically picked 2 unfit players as well.

Prince Knut likes this.
  6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Hendo is in for his experience and leadership imo

7. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Agree, Maguire as well. It'l be as much about their off-the-pitch abilities as in the pitch.

Diego, Zanjinho, Bumps and 1 other person like this.
  8. moreinjuredthanowen

They could be asked the be along for the ride. they are in the the squad so are intended to play.

hopefully southgate knackers maguire and not Henderson.

however they look really short in midfield right now.

Prince Knut likes this.
  9. saintKlopp

They could push Trent up into midf.... Oh.

10. moreinjuredthanowen

If the gobshi, sorry manager wants to play 343 then he is already wasting foden and mount. he needs two brutes in midifeld to hold own while james and chilwell run about.

However if the tool, sorry manager wants to play 433 and have a mount type in midfield then he needs to figure out how to construct his side with not only hnederson looking dodgy but also rice.

IMO this squad has serious strength at full back and at attacking midfield. foden and mount offer england quite a unique opportunity to deliver something different, and that is control and technical ability in the middle.

If you applied a Guardiola approach to the system then when engurlund have the ball they really would want

henderson
    Stones Maguire
    James - Rice - Chilwell
    Foden - Mount
    Sancho Kane grealish ​

provide the witdh form the wingers. Get foden and mount going froward with kane and creating and pressing like hell.

Never pick pickford as he is **** on the gorund and has small arms ;)
    Drop sterling as he is in rag order form.

However i full expect to see 3 CBs, creative players wasted, only width form full backs, sterling jogging about doing nothing etc etc.

11. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I posted a stat yesterday; Hendo is the only player in the squad that's played in two previous euros.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

Soooooo he can advise them on being hated after the inevitable failure?

It's a month long tournament. The majority but not all were at world cup before. That takes care of the long camp.

Half the sides know the pain of losing as they are mancs :) that takes care of consoling

Prince Knut likes this.
  13. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

What about the winning? :bandit:

14. moreinjuredthanowen

Last time I checked theres nobody in the squad from 1966

Prince Knut likes this.
  15. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Foden & Sancho both World Cup winners

Prince Knut likes this.
  16. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

In that case, keep in him in the training camp in and around the squad. He doesn't need to be named as part of the playing squad. He's definitely not fit enough to be starting games just yet and runs the risk of returning to Liverpool with another injury. His minutes need to be carefully managed now.

17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

It'd prefer him to just not be there

Prince Knut and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  18. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

Or Southgate could throw him on for the last 45 of a meaningless friendly. Bizarre

Solid_Air 2 and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  19. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

I’ve never been one to really get too excited about international tournaments. Even when we went to the semi’s in the last one, we flattered to deceive…and in Southgate, despite being in the unusual position of having a wealth of talent up front amd some of the best attacking full backs in the world, we have a hugely defensive coach - so I don’t have high expectations this month either.

20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I haven't for a long time but wouldn't say never. Loved 1996, 1998 and 2002 were good too. Went downhill after that