1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread EUROPE- Mighty LASK vs Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

We need another proven goal scorer. We cannot simply have 30+ chances but only 2 goals through 2 penalties. Creating chances but not scoring is worthless. When the game is tight which is to be expected in semifinals every chance has to count otherwise we’ll be chasing shadows. When we couldn’t score in that 10 minutes spurning at least 5 chances, I feared the worst.

The bench is simply not good enough: mata, Ighalo, Lingard are simply not up to the standard of the top 11.

cytrax and Diego like this.
  2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Well at least now we can concentrate on transfers...

ah who am I kidding, a long protracted few weeks with lots of rumours, some approaches for players at a £billion before slimy toad Eddie dashes all hopes with a formal bid for a no-mark who adds nothing to our starting 11. Meanwhile Chelsea, City and Livpl all wrap up their purchases quick time. Hurrah for Eddie the ****!

Diego likes this.
  3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Tbf if Ighalo had started I dare say he would've put at least one of those chances away. And even if he didn't start, I would've brought him on instead of James.

Diego likes this.
  4. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Can we get rid of De Gea now - he's ****ed up in all of this season's important games. Enough is enough, get rid, there are plenty of hungry keepers out there at the moment.

5. Christiansmith

How did he **** up? He wasn’t at fault for any of the goals.

6. Christiansmith

What the European competitions confirmed this week is that if you miss glaring scoring chances in tournament football you get punished and dumped out of the comps. Sterling missed a sitter even I would have scored and within seconds City are eliminated. Jiménez missed a penalty and the chance to put wolves ahead and concede a goal minutes from the end to go out. United missed several chances and conceded a really crappy goal and couldn’t find the way back.

I believe that none of the three teams would have been eliminated if there had been 2 legged ties. They would have had the chance to retrieve the situation.

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Well not sure, which is why I put it as a question.

I wasn't watching, the French don't tend to be be bothered by anything other than games involving French teams, but had mates WhatsApping saying we were missing a load of chances yet none saying we were otherwise playing well.

I think ultimately that's a game and competition we should win, so it's likely that the management is what isn't good enough. And obviously some of the players aren't good enough as well.

8. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

To be fair guys, Sevilla are the kings of Europa League. They're no mugs.

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think overall we were the better side. The likes of Skysports even saying we lost a game we should've won.

Our strengths in the game - whilst they were better at passing and moving the ball, we were excellent at winning the ball back. We won pretty much everything and dispossessed them time and time again. So much so that their players started throwing hissy fits and claiming fouls from the ref who waved them away. All our chances came from that dispossession over and over again. They didn't see much of the ball for half an hour in that 2nd half.

Our weakness - 1) Our finishing. We had at least 20 clear chances on goal. Their goalie must've made at least a dozen saves.
    2) Far too crowded in their box. Our players were too close and too central when we got in there. They just crowded us. The movement from us to stretch them at the back wasn't there. It also meant the clear site at goal was often narrow and central and explains why their goalie was able to save so much even at close range.

3) No subs until 86 minutes. Poor subs as well. Ighalo should've come on around 65 minutes, just to mix it up a bit and he's a finisher.

Obviously disappointed to go out, and lose a game we should've won. But not gutted by our football. Just wasn't meant to be. Reminded me a bit of the Leverkeusen s/f but with more chances created last night.

Christian makes a fair point. Over 2 legs I reckon we would've gone through.

Diego likes this.
  10. Christiansmith

Our football and style is almost at the other end of the spectrum compared to that of the Mourinho or LVG team. How many times have we heard and/or read : “We want exciting attacking football even if we lose”. Exciting but naive against pragmatic but dull.

Treble and Diego like this.