1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS 2016

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by finglasqpr, May 31, 2016.

1. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

The big tournament is less than two weeks away now. Who do you think will win it? How will England do? What about Wales, Northern Ireland and The Republic?

I am going to say that one of Spain, France or Italy will win it. England and Austria would be my outside tips to make a semi final.

From Ireland's point of view, we never take ourselves too seriously and as long as we put in decent performances and have a bit of craic, a few beers and a sing song, we will be happy. Hoping we make the round of 16 but won't be too disappointed if we don't. It is just great being there.

Security will be a big issue over there. Here's hoping for a good safe tournament for everybody to enjoy and may the best team win.

2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I'd love to say England will win it but the squad is too unbalanced and our defence will be found out by pacy counter-attacking sides. The promise shown in the win in Germany has raised expectations but I can't see Woy being brave enough to play such an attacking line-up in the competitive games. If he does we may have a chance of the Quarter-Finals but quality teams will expose our frailty at the back.

France must be favourites but Spain are the thoroughbreds. Poland at 50/1 worth an each-way flutter...

3. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

No mention of the Germans! Open tournament in my eyes,but not a great betting one in the outright market. Much more value to be had in the top goalscorer market,paying e.w. the first 4. Already done Kane at 18's,Morata at 25's,Griezmann at 11's,Dele Alli at 100's and Janko at 66's. Hope for an attacking open tournament that passes by without any trouble.Unfortunately I see England going out in the Quarters again !

4. Chaz

Chaz Well-Known Member

OK, just for giggles...

My group winners in bold, runners up in italics, 'qualifying' third place underlined *(the four best 3rd place teams make it through):
    Group A: Albania, France, Romania, Switzerland
    Group B: England, Wales, Russia, Slovakia
    Group C: Germany, Northern Ireland, Poland, Ukraine
    Group D: Croatia, Czech Rep, Spain, Turkey
    Group E: Belgium, Italy, Rep Ireland, Sweden
    Group F: Austria, Hungary, Iceland, Portugal

Leading to...

Round of 16:
    Switzerland v Poland
    England
    v Ukraine
    Spain v Republic of Ireland
    France v Turkey
    Germany v Russia
    Portugal v Italy
    Belgium
    v Czech Republic
    Wales v Austria

Q-finals:
    Poland v England
    Spain v France
    Germany
    v Italy
    Belgium v Austria

Semi-finals:
    England v France
    Germany
    v Belgium

3rd Place:
    England v Belgium

Final:
    France v Germany

QPRski, daverangers, QPR999 and 2 others like this.
  5. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Get an acumulator on that and you'll be quids in come the end of the tournament!!

Rememeber seeing Dynamo do that for a tournament and got it all right, then donated his winnings to charity!

6. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I'm going for Germany, France as hosts and Italy have more than a fighting chance.

finglasqpr likes this.
  7. igor60

igor60 Well-Known Member

Winners France Runner-up Germany Spain and Italy the other semi final teams.

8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Germany will win it.

9. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

I'm going for Holland :emoticon-0105-wink:

QPRski likes this.
  10. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

I think Wales are the dark horse in this tournament. Strong side with people who are used to winning and lots of national pride.

11. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

No mention of Belgium? Ranked as the second best team in the world behind the Argies. Nearest European team are Germany in 5th. At 11/1 its worth a punt.

12. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

I cannot really see any team apart from Germany or France winning the Euros. If these two get knocked out it will be very open, dare I say it, even England could fluke it, but only if we avoid these two garlic and sausage lovers.

13. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I'm finding it hard to get enthused about this tournament, but I'm sure I'll get into it once it starts. England games should be entertaining - mostly 4-4 draws I would think. Difficult to pick a winner with mixed form for many, so I'll go with Belgium again, having backed them to win the last World Cup.

14. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

France are favourites but not for me. Wouldn't fancy them even at home to Germany or Spain.

15. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

I think England will too their group but after that not perform so well and the quarter finals may be their lot.

I think NI may do best of the other home countries, but who knows, they'll certainly do better than Scotland

16. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

I hope England defy expectations and the youngish team comes together well. It's a risk, but surely one worth taking for the long term ambitions of the English national team.

Not sure about France myself, and you just never know with Germany. I'm going to Germany vs Poland so it'll be good to see how they fair in that match.

17. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I think it may be an exciting and open tournament that could be won by the team on form at the time.

But if I were to name one team, then I would go for France with the home support. However saying that, Germany are always a great tournament team and only a fool would write them off.

I will be supporting two team, Poland and England, and I hope that they both will get to the Quarter Final stages. They may even meet in the QF as predicted by Chaz and then I will unashamedly put on my red and white scarf.

England - they could have a good chance if they play fast attacking football, but I feel that the defence will let them down.
    Poland - a good team with a very good core of international regular players: Lewandowski (Bayern), Milik (Ajax), Krychowiak (Seville), Glik (Torino), Piszczek (Borussia), plus the abundance of goalies in Fabianski, Szczesny and Boruc. They are a team on the up but are unlikely to get past the QF's. However, at 50-1 they might be worth a bet as a dark horse. At the end, it is football and it is a cup competition.

I am certainly looking forward to the event, but sincerely hope that it will be remembered for the football and not for any terrorism event.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    finglasqpr likes this.
  18. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Very interesting analysis!

19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

:emoticon-0136-giggl

QPRski likes this.
  20. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

As Sooper and Stan have already mentioned, I think Poland are the dark horses in this tournament Ski. It's possible that they can do a Leicester imo.

QPRski likes this.