1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

European Super League ... and greedy owners

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Apr 18, 2021.

1. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

ARSENAL
    CHELSEA
    LIVERPOOL
    MANCHESTER CITY
    MANCHESTER UNITED
    TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Do these Clubs really think they are so big and dominant now that they can defy FIFA, UEFA and the English FA?

I say let them do it.

They'll be cutting their own throats, and giving other Clubs in this country and across Europe a better chance to rise and take their place.
    I feel sorry for the genuine fans of those Clubs, but all fans in football are screwed these days.

The hypocrisy of the Premier League's squeals of protest about this proposal is laughable.
    They don't care about English football, or the wonderful work they think they do to help the lower leagues.
    All they care about is a threat to their golden egg goose.

Football will be better off morally without these greedy Clubs.
    It will all end in tears after a few seasons, and they'll be forced to crawl back with tails between legs.
    Perhaps by then their obscene power will be broken.

(PS: I thought this would become a big enough subject to warrant it's own thread...)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Ken Shabby and Ponders Revisited like this.
  2. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

This subject has rumbled on for a long time, I cannot see it happening.
    The cumulative figure from Champions League and Premier is such that things will probably remain.

3. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

So let me get this right....the premier league are complaining about a competition where an elite set of clubs band together to make themselves richer and put smaller clubs at a disadvantage <doh>

pieguts, The Penguin and lardiman like this.
  4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

The Premier League would sell their own mothers for a quid.
    Them and Sky have nothing to say that any genuine fan of football needs to listen to.

Gary Neville has got it right.
    Football needs taking back from mega-rich foreign owners who treat fans beneath contempt.
    If there is a letter of intent signed by those Clubs, all 6 of them should be deducted all their points this season.

If those Clubs quit English football they should be banned from EVER returning, and their fans should be free to set up Phoenix Clubs to replace them.

5. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why the premier league care, this competition is just replacing the champions league for these teams right?

The Elfsborg Sparrow likes this.
  6. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

7. Butterfield

8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

As far as we know presently, the Super League is being set up outside the jurisdiction of FIFA or UEFA.
    They would have no control over it.

So the Super League could choose to duplicate all of the laws of football, the rules of the game etc. But technically and legally they would not be playing 'Football' as recogised by FIFA and UEFA - they'll just be playing a bootleg copy of football.
    All their referees and match officials would be Super League employees, not sanctioned by FIFA.

And the rules of Super League matches could be modified at any time.
    So (for instance) they could decide to shorten the match times to 80 minutes.
    Or divide the match into 4 quarters of 20 minutes.
    Or allow time-outs like in American sports.
    Or have a clock that stops when the ball is not in play.
    Or do pretty much anything they like, in order to adapt the game to fit better with commercial TV.

The potential payday for lawyers over this would amount to £billions, and be a gift that keeps on giving for years and years.
    I should think FIFA and UEFA will contest the right of the Super League to do anything that is what they would see as an illegal copy of football.

The Super League would be in effect a whole new Code of football.
    Apparently identical to Association Football (at least at first) but in reality sharing nothing in common.
    A code 100% run and controlled by the owners of the Super League Clubs.

Super League Clubs would be thrown out of their domestic leagues.
    Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs.
    All would be kicked out of the Premier League and FA Cup.
    And of course banned from the UEFA European competitions.

The rights of players to switch codes will be another massive pay day for lawyers.
    Super League players could be banned from ever playing FIFA code football again.
    And banned from playing for their countries in FIFA /UEFA tournaments:
    • the European Championships
    • the South American International tournament
    • the Africa Cup of Nations
    • any other regional International Tournaments around the planet
    • The World Cup.
    And I expect FIFA could rule that football grounds which host Super League matches will never again be sanctioned to host FIFA code matches.
    The list of battlegrounds and the potential for conflict is endless.

The possible loss of US, Middle East and Chinese money from the FIFA code game will have the potential to tear it apart.
    It would be War in effect;
    On one side FIFA, UEFA and all the World Football Associations.
    On the other side the Super League Club owners, with Chinese, US & Arab money backing them.

The future of Association Football as we have known it since the 1860's is under real threat I believe.
    And all driven by this :emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash:.
    So the reaction of FIFA, UEFA and our own English FA (the only true authority in Football in my opinion) is only a taste of what is to come if this Super League project becomes a reality.

And the reaction of fans of the 'Big 6' English Clubs - especially the fans of Liverpool FC - will be like nothing ever seen before.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  9. lardiman

Forum Moderator

It has been confirmed this morning;

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs - all have committed themselves to the Super League.

Greedy Traitors.

10. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

The negotiations must have been going on for years, and there must also have been talks with television companies, because that's where the money comes from. Their plan seems to be to play in midweek, so they must still want to play domestic football on Saturdays, right? Or wrong? For me European football has been going down this road ever since the European Cup and Cup-winners Cup were abolished in favour of the so-called Champions League, which is basically designed to create an elite few clubs which are guaranteed the most money, therefore the best players and best managers and everything. With the money coming from television fans. Clough was right, when he said live games on telly would ruin football.

lardiman likes this.

11. CafcFactsStats

CafcFactsStats Well-Known Member

12. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I think Gary Neville nailed this when he discussed the utter greed of this idea - they want a closed shop where the founders get a 20 year guarantee of no relegation. Given the relatively poor seasons both Arsenal and Liverpool have had, the idea of becoming permanent members of a super league when they look like being in the Europa League next season has its attractions. The EPL is one of the most competetive leagues when you look at the teams at the top fighting for the Champions league places. So why not just close out the minnows forever and keep it amongst their mates. And a whole bunch of smaller clubs who regularly compete will be brushed clean out the window.

I would assume given the announcement that this is pretty much done and dusted, and they have everything set up. Which means the unlovely UEFA get to make the next decision. They seem to have come down hard on this - expulsion from all UEFA football, and players to be banned from FIFA and UEFA competitions. That'll give some of the youngsters in the Southgate England squad a bit of a boost for the summer<laugh>. Personally I'm sick of the greed in the game. This is a point where I hope there is some sort of stand and the governing bodies cut the fat cats loose. And if it goes pear shaped and people don't tune in to see endless matches between teams who can't be relegated, when they come back the start the same way Rangers did in Scotland, with no money, a wage cap and matches against the likes of Southend and Accrington week in week out. That'll never happen though. What I expect is that we'll get promoted next season, consolidate in the Championship for a year, and just when we're ready to push for the Premiership, all the fat cats will be shown in to the Championship as part of their rehabilitation, we'll get stuffed 7-0 at home by Arsenal on the opening day, and fizzle into mid table.

lardiman and The Penguin like this.
  13. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

As an aside, there is going to be scope for lawyers to make millions in the pcoming legal battles - I hope Farnell is nicely disbarred before he gets the chance to get his greedy little claws into a court case defending Man City!!

14. CafcFactsStats

CafcFactsStats Well-Known Member

15. The Penguin

Not only them, football clubs across the board are losing money hand over fist. No-one knows better than Charlton fans about the type of unsavoury characters who see football clubs as a source from which they can extract loadsamoney. Remember Mark Hulyer? He compared owning a football club to standing over a drain holding your wallet upside down. And he was a Charlton fan who tried to buy success, but succeeded in nearly driving the club out of existence. Football is a mad world, but it does reflect the inequality in society which we have learned to accept (except for the odd woke leftie like me).

16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I'm not sure I heard it right, but this Super League will have 5 "guest Clubs" each season who have to qualify to compete in it.
    Like qualifying for the Champions League I guess.
    Maybe 2 Clubs from England?

But even if one of these "guests" finishes outside the bottom 5 of the Super League - in fact even if they WIN it, they will still have no option to remain in it. If they want to compete in it again the following season they have to qualify again from their domestic league.
    The permanent members cannot be relegated though, even if one of them finishes bottom every season.

What a load of sh*te.

The Penguin likes this.
  17. The Pub Landlord

The Pub Landlord Well-Known Member

Let them go and exclude them from domestic competition.

If fans want to watch exhibition games it will succeed. If not it will fail.

Exclude all players in it from participation in FIFA events, particularly the World Cup, and have a one-year suspension for any player wishing to leave that league and rejoin FIFA football.

Any club wishing to come back has to have a 2-year suspension then rejoin at Level 7.

It just needs no corruption and some courage within FIFA. Oh, wait a minute...

lardiman, Smudger603 and Ken Shabby like this.
  18. The Penguin

"Super League" is a ridiculous name, but so is "Champions League". Come to that so is "Championship". "League One" also. European Cup, Division One two, three and 4, what's wrong with that? Rebranding is the name of the game today, like "New Labour". Milord Mandy is back in the fold, so maybe we'll get New Improved Labour next.

19. The Penguin

Joel Glazer is vice-chairman of the "Super" league. He says it will "Give increased financial support for the football pyramid". Not sure whether or not he said it with a straight face, but he must surely have had his fingers crossed behind his back.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  20. Butterfield

agree with this 100%