1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Everton vs United - EFL Cup QF Clash Yaaasss!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've done my research (basically copy and paste off Sky Sports) and here's the pre-match news...

Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Scott McTominay will miss the trip to Goodison Park, and OGS is likely to make changes for the game as he seeks to manage the squad's workload. Mason Greenwood is likely to start, although I'm not sure of what to make of this...

"Mason [Greenwood] is fit enough to play, he was on the bench (against Leeds) he will be involved in the squad unless something happens," he added.

"Of course, Luke (Shaw) came off with an injury so that had to be done, Edinson (Cavani) has been out with an injury for a while, we need to get him going and Bruno (Fernandes) is one that I also have to protect."

No Bruno for this game? Donny to start in midfield with Pogba and Matic?

Everton will again be without James Rodriguez, with the Colombian set to miss a fourth consecutive game as a result of a calf problem.

They will also be without Fabian Delph and Allan (both hamstring) while Lucas Digne (ankle) is a long-term absentee and Jean-Philippe Gbamin won't be returning until the new year. Andre Gomes will have a late fitness test on a thigh injury.

Seamus Coleman could be handed a first start since the league defeat to Manchester United at the start of November.

Not sure what to make of this one. Everton are resurgent again. Feel like saying 2-0 to United but fck know.

2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Away game so should be in our favour. But lots of changes so that is neutralised. And also Everton gets to have crowds which is a massive plus for them.

Hope for a 2-1 win but won't be surprised if we went to penalties.

This is a cup game away to a premiership team so anything can happen. Watch out for the media meltdown if we are out.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Think this be a draw so it'll go to penalties.

Solskjaer could do a lot worse than seriously try to win this to get that first trophy under his belt.

Even so, should definitely be giving the likes of Bruno, Fred and Rashford a rest.

He'll should also start Henderson.

4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Great plagiarism there, Treble! lol

EFL... pfft! Given the number of games that these teams have to play in a short period of time, I will be happy for us to be out of all these Cup games and focus on the league.

Christiansmith and glazerfodder like this.
  5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We should be able to do both. After last season, I'd actually like to see us get to a final with a chance of winning something. And the Europy is a long stretch away.

6. Christiansmith

A win would be a bonus but not too fussed if we are out.

7. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I'd rather we were out so that we can focus on making a good challenge in the new year, plus any tinkering with the team is counter-productive and any injuries to key players could cost us dearly. Different if it was the FA Cup, but this is a waste of space unless Ole used it to blood a complete young side.

8. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I don't really see how it's a distraction myself?

It's late December and there's potentially two games before a final in April.

We've definitely got a squad strong enough to compete in that. If anything, the FA Cup would cause more problems as it means Saturday games get rearranged later on.

9. Christiansmith

The team sheet is out

Man Utd
    • 26Henderson
    • 38Tuanzebe
    • 3Bailly
    • 5Maguire
    • 27Telles
    • 6Pogba
    • 31Matic
    • 11Greenwood
    • 18Bruno Fernandes
    • 34van de Beek
    • 7Cavani

Not bad up front. But I am keeping my fingers crossed the holding midfield of matic will be effective enough. It looks a brave move against a very strong Everton side and a 4 1 4 1 system? If he was going to try that system, the QFs of the league cup is a good time as any.

cytrax and Diego like this.
  10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

That look from Fernandes when Cavani tried to lob the keeper from the half-way line <laugh>

Something tells me old Edinson is in the mood tonight lol.

Well whatever happens nobody can say we've started slowly.

11. Christiansmith

Betting we will get City in the semis:

12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

You should be barred for that.

No reason why we can't beat them tbh. Wasn't bothered about the draw. We are playing well enough to take any of them on.

Christiansmith likes this.
  13. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

<ok>

14. Christiansmith

At least we are playing at home :) But wait...

15. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I guess now that we are going to be playing City, the next round is a must win. then after, probably get Tottenham which would be another must win. My EFL pfft didn't last long.

16. Christiansmith

I am not sure about others. I am sensing that the players are slowly coming round to trusting the manager’s systems and tactics and each other too. Nine changes and still a decent team. I think (hope!) solskjaer is slowly winning some of the sceptics especially in here. One thing is certain. He has a mind of his own and he does think about the best system and players to get a win. The last two games against Leeds and Everton couldn’t be more different.

we’ve beaten City before and no reason why we can’t do it again.

glazerfodder likes this.
  17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh ok Smithy you don't have to keep mentioning the skeptics after every win <laugh> He deserves criticism when he fcks up as much as he deserves praise when he gets it right.

The clean sheet was also a positive. Bailly is a strong character and good for Maguire.

Agree Ole is showing he can set up against certain teams, in particular attacking teams. I want to see what he does against those we have to break down at home.

Also add, winning breeds confidence and trust, especially winning playing well. Bear in mind we've been on 20 match unbeaten runs before. In the past, one bad result has knocked that confidence but I really feel this time it's different. At least I hope so.

cytrax and Christiansmith like this.
  18. Christiansmith

That’s the whole point.:D Whenever he ****s up. I criticised him too e.g when he didn’t sub Fred in the CL.

However when we lose it’s not always his fault IMO.When Henderson ****s up, can you really blame the manager? Some blame him for every loss.

glazerfodder likes this.
  19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Enough already! Reading your posts, you literally make it sound like Ole took the few months ago.

Recent performances perfectly illustrate that the squad had largely been underperforming under Ole. This is why I’m particularly against spending and spending thinking that is somehow the solution to our problems. And to that point, I am very grateful to be witness the best of this team without wasting money to bring in the next multi million pounds superstar.

So yes, I am happy that the manager is now leading us to more consistent results. But let’s not get distracted because we haven’t achieved anything just yet. Ole needs to deliver the promise of this team and earn the respect that he craves for as the manager of Manchester United.

20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

If people don't mind me saying, I really don't understand what some fans want. When we were conceding and coming back to win, some didn't care about the performance as long as we got the result. But then, last week people thought it wrong to expect us to beat the likes of West Brom so now the result isn't important after all! And then at the start of the match yesterday, people were happy for us to get knocked out, when we should be going out there to win every game.

I don't get it, I really don't.