1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Everton vs United - EFL Cup QF Clash Yaaasss!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

It is always expectations with United. Nothing wrong with that. A league cup match has never been historically a priority. Yes, of course we try to win like we try to win every competition we are in. But there are so many variables and luck plays a part too. Who do you play against, resting of key players on both sides etc. That's why IMO fans shouldn't have a meltdown if the team loses in a cup. **** happens. We should never be happy to be knocked out. But on the other hand, I don't have a meltdown and ask for the manager to be sacked.

Fans have to be realistic about the manager and the team. Yes he is far from a new appointment but his record while not exceptional holds up against most of his current peers. History suggests that whoever brilliant manager appointed by United turns to ****. LVG and Mourinho were great before. What guarantee have we got that Pochetino wouldn't turn out the same? Lots of boardroom **** affect the manager whoever he is. Just changing managers would not be enough.

2. Christiansmith

"A man has 2 sons. When one ****s up badly he sees the reasons behind the action and the outcome and gives him the benefit of the doubt. When other son makes a cock up even the most minor one he is pilloried and never excused. He never gets credit for any good he does. "

For some Ole is the first and for others he is the second. Goes beyond any rational explanation. Ole gets blame for the poor start but we are starting to put a few wins together. Does he at least get the credit for that? No chance.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Anyone who thinks the league Cup isn't worth our time or is beneath us, I refer you back to the 2006 final.

We were ****e, apparently. Had signed a young show pony who only had step overs as tricks and dived all the time.

Abramovic was spending big at Chelsea, they'd win the league twice in a row under Mourinho and United were finished, we'd never compete.

We won the league Cup and everyone Lol'd. That was our new level.

You can read up on the rest, it wasn't that long ago.

Diego likes this.
  4. Christiansmith

The indications are that OGS takes the competition seriously and wants to win it.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think the problems on both sides are that people think of Ole before they set their expectations.

I never mentioned Ole in my post btw, all I was asking was why with this squad anyone wouldn't feel disappointed not getting to a final or winning a trophy or beating opposition with less quality in their side such as West Brom or Sheffield Utd. And reading on it seems that those low expectations, or not being bothered about going out of cup competitions is moreso about considering Ole's position before what's best for the team or the club. It should never be like that imo.

If we want to bring Ole into this and you want to hold a reasonably balanced opinion on the manager, then your starting position absolutely should be the state of the squad and what their potential is. Then if they perform to that potential you appreciate the manager's doing well, and if they under-achieve you hold the manager and/or the players to account. It should NOT be the other way round, where your pre-judged opinion of the manager should decide your expectations for the club or individual game results. And that is the mistake those who are all-for or all-against Ole seem to be making.

If on the other hand you feel the squad or players are the reason for those lower expectations and should not be expected to beat the likes of West Brom or win a trophy then that's a different conversation.

cytrax likes this.
  6. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I couldn’t have said that better.

It’s all about how good this squad really is. Every win is vindication that they are indeed that good. We have at very least two players that could walk into any team in the world in form of Bruno and Marcus. It is why we pay serious wages to hold the team together.

Therefore, I would conclude that the expectation is strictly tied to the unquestioned potential of this team and the need for them to deliver. Consequently, it becomes the job of any manager to deliver that promise. End of!

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Well hold on bro, you were one of the ones saying you weren't too bothered about going out the cup yesterday <laugh>

Christiansmith likes this.
  8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Yes, I did! :D

That has nothing to do with my statement above regarding promise of the squad. That promise to me is not about winning EFL. I remember that we once called it the Mickey Mouse Cup. I think it still is true to a large extent. And fourth place qualification is more celebrated these days that winning EFL. Just the reality of it.

Treble likes this.
  9. Christiansmith

Well it shows that Ole is not the only one suffering from “inconsistency “ :D

you’ve got a point about the quality of the squad . But hang on! Has the manager not had a say in the recruitment of Bruno? All it shows that the debate about this manager in particular has an element of emotion in addition to rationality and expectation. Some of us (mentioning no names :) ) will forgive ole for almost anything. Some on the other hand will not give him credit for anything saying that the wins were to be expected anyway.

Treble likes this.
  10. Christiansmith

So could we say Ole won the “third place trophy” last season? ;)

cytrax and Treble like this.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Well this place may not always be the busiest and we may not always agree on everything, but I always like coming on here and seeing what everyone has to say. We all have an opinion and it's good chatting with you all. Never stop lads.

I'd like to wish you and yours a pleasant and happy Christmas <magic>

Hope you have a good one :emoticon-0148-yes:

12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

All the best to you too mate <ok>

Treble likes this.
  13. Christiansmith

Merry Christmas and Happy and Healthy New Year to all here. And of course football is about opinion and discussion !

Treble, glazerfodder and cytrax like this.
  14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas to you all and stay safe with your families.

I’m sure we will be having more “inconsistent” dialogues and results after Christmas. lol

Treble and glazerfodder like this.