1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Everything in moderation !

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Gordon Armstrong, Jul 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Firstly, Marcus and I discuss certain posters who deliberately disrupt our board, which is mostly friendly and very welcoming, and act accordingly to protect the good atmosphere that generally prevails. We have removed abusive posters, usually idiotic skunks who only have one purpose . . . . to disrupt and be offensive to us in our little community.

Secondly, Wolfy was banned because of his constant provocation, deliberately goading other, decent, posters into abusive retaliation . . . . which is not good for the overall atmosphere, and only encourages decent posters to refrain from contribution. Some have mentioned that at times it's 'just like over the road so what's the point' !

Our job is to prevent the hostility that seems to be 'the norm' on RTG because it scares people away and we don't want this (our) forum to become like the wild west as is sometimes the case in other places.

Thirdly, Pablo is not banned as far as I'm aware, because he hasn't been as disruptive as he was as Wolfy, but anyone who deliberately sets out to disrupt a thread will be prevented from posting on that thread as a first measure, which will hopefully make him think before it goes too far.

Finally, deliberately trying to divide the board by turning others against a particular poster, who in this instance is trying to maintain peace and a good atmosphere, like has happened yesterday with me being the target, doesn't help as far as I'm concerned.

Let's try to keep this forum what it is . . . . a really good place to visit, eh :emoticon-0148-yes:

2. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

I can assure you it is nothing like "over the road", they don't ban those deliberating goading others, just those that retaliate. That's me speaking from a position of experience, having been subjected to the hammer from Mod Almighty. Mind I might have deserved it, just don't see how the other poster can still post.
    However, surely if Pablo is Wolfy it doesn't matter how disruptive they are, all forms of that poster should be banned. Sort yourself out Armstrong

TeamOfTalents likes this.
  3. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

What Gordonsaid. We’re by no means perfect but we discuss everything.

Gordon and myself have a private chat where we put to each other about bans, disruption and deleting of threads if it’s controversial. Everything which has been done is done by both of us not one and I see there’s been some comments directed at Gordon recently. We won’t chamge how we do this as it needs to be done between the moderators not the board

Can I also say, as far as moderation goes, we do this completely voluntarily. We do it because we like this place. There have been loads of moderators over the years of 606 and I now see why none of them stuck around long. Only Gordon and myself have hung around for a significant time. Despite the hassle (have to say, I seem to somehow avoid most of the moderator hassle Gordon gets . Not sure if that’s agenda driven or what)

Numerous times there have been requests from us for another moderator
    Nobody wants the job.

last point I still make is that we are fans first and moderators last. We do t want to have to be moderators. We want to be fans posting on a football forum for the club we love. We will only moderate when it is absolutely necessary and for the good of the board

4. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

People can change. If he remains as is then that’s fine. If/when he returns to his previous antagonistic self, he’ll be gone

5. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

As i said on the other thread both GA and Marcus do a great job in keeping the ****ers away from this board.

Moderating is a thankless task and usually voluntarily ( I know as i did it somewhere else for over 10 years).

The problem with Wolfy/Pablo is that under his former guise he just appeared to want to wind people up. If he's changed as Pablo then great as all opinions are welcomed whilst not always agreed with.

6. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

If people change that would be when his ban is up ( I doubt he will). Not disputing it, its your call but its a cheap way around the system.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  7. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I reckon there is a fair about of circumstantial evidence, that Wolfy, and his possible alter egos, is a Mag on a wind-up hunt!

:emoticon-0148-yes: up our mods, keep the good work up.

8. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

Gizza job.........I've been moderating my wife for twenty years you know.
    banhammer.gif.9138bebf2d2c7a3b8cc0e222cc749e5a.gif

9. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I think Gordon and Marcus do an excellent job as mods and I appreciate that it is often a thankless task. Its definitely important that we recognise how much they contribute to the smooth running of this forum.

However, I think its also important to recognise that not everyone finds the same things antagonistic. Personally, I consider the propagation of demonstrably inaccurate conspiracy theories regarding things such as Covid, politics, and science to be more concerning than someone being negative about SAFC. After all, these are things that organisations like Facebook and Twitter have huge numbers of people fact-checking. We can't expect Marcus and Gordon to go to these lengths so that's where the ignore button comes in.

And let's face it, sometimes a good argument on here can be entertaining (as long as it doesn't lead to threats in the real world), and you don't get that if any dissenting voice is forced out.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  10. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Then why wasn't wolfy warned, how long will the ban last and for what reason, as if it was because a few complained the didn't like a negative post why cant the rest of us who didn't find anything wrong also have a say, what has been done is not fair

11. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

In your opinion. Not in ours. And that is why he was banned. We have the final say and that’s the crux of it. That’s why we are moderators. Too many were impacted and “effected” (loose term) by it. That’s why he was banned. More complained about him than backed him Rog. In a democracy, you go with the majority
    And we did. You were in the minority which you may not be happy about, but it’s the truth.

Nozs’ Hat likes this.
  12. Makemstine Roger

A LOT DIDN'T FIND HIM PROVOCATIVE BUT WEREN'T CONSULTED FOR THEIR VIEWS,IN FACT QUITE A FEW POSTERS AGREED WITH HIM AND STILL DO
    WHY DELETE HIS POST IF THERE IS NOTHING TO HIDE, LET US ALL SEE WHY, I HAVE NEVER HAD A DISAGREEMENT WITH YOU ON HERE BUT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IS WRONG
    you are the target as you instigated the ban, when will it be rescinded, why wasn't he warned, you cannot just stir it because you don't like his alternative view

13. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Meh. The mods made a decision.

Posting constant negativity and being constantly argumentative, and arguing with mods, is what RTG is for. Nobody needs to be on both forums.

14. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Define “a lot”? A lot more didn’t agree. It wasn’t about “Consultation” roger. It was about reading the forum to find views. There were far more “anti” than “pro”. Couple that with pms as well (none of which were pro by the way) he had to be banned.

he’s back under a new guise.

it was a joint decision. Gordon didn’t instigate it. We discussed it after analysing the posts and the provocation etc, and both decided he should be banned. End of story

15. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

I also post on a military themed forum, as well as likes there's dislike, dumb, informative and excellent icons to rate other posts. It'squite an interesting exercise to see how a group use the various buttons, the moderation is excellent, the site is split into serious and non serious sub headers. An excellent site I'd recommend for any ex services personnel, you have to demonstrate sense of humour, as it's definitely not for the faint hearted or weak of mind.

Diego and Makemstine Roger like this.
  16. Makemstine Roger

i noticed that when you first joined you were called a wum and a mag and had to prove yourself, and had more negative posts aimed towards you than Wolfy ever did,and im surprised that you cannot see the irony

17. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

That's because I was being respectful and thoughtful about the posts I was making that were against the popular opinion, rather than just blindly and persistently being negative and disruptive.

People having different opinions is brilliant. It's what forums should be all about. Its a bit boring when everybody agrees, and I admit at times on these forums it can be difficult to have an alternative opinion and not feel a bit "ganged up" on. But the response to that should be to explain your reasoning and show empathy towards why you feel that way. I personally didn't see any empathy in Wolfy and just saw somebody who was trying to be contrary on purpose. Just an opinion like.

Would I have banned him? Not sure - never been a mod. Must be a hard job. Like I saw I just stuck him on ignore once I sussed out he wasn't offering alternative opinions for constructive reasons but only for attention.

18. Makemstine Roger

i cant now his post were deleted 2 Show the proof 3 now how can i prove it when its been deleted. explain why it was deleted other than to protect someone

19. Makemstine Roger

very nice reply and you have hit the nail on the head, what would it have taken for a mod to say i have Warned Wolfy because of ABC and none of this **** would have happened, people good posters have left this board because of Gordon deleting posts and merging things without warning, he has to be held account, it was him that went to Marcus as marcus would have warned him if he was overstepping the line, i have yet to see anyone say he say anything other than he spoke his mind.

20. Makemstine Roger

That has just described a poster who has had more arguments on here than anyone else and has led to posters being banned yet he is still here and not banned so your argument there goes straight out of the window

rooch 3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.