1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ex Spur thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

25 yrs ago today ex Spurs winger Noel Brotherston died from a heart attack age 38 , not a long career with us remembered mostly for the hair and his time with Blackburn Rovers

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

QPR have dubbed today Taarabt Thursday, for some reason. Did score some great goals for them:

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

You know, Kyle Walker turned into Mario Balotelli so gradually, I didn't even notice...

4. humanbeingincroydon

please log in to view this image

5. humanbeingincroydon

...contrary to what his first biography claimed

6. humanbeingincroydon

A bit of a pattern forming...

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  7. humanbeingincroydon

Sean Davis has given an interview with Portsmouth's imaginatively-titled The News to talk about his time at Spurs, and it's...not nice reading, particularly this bit

“I was at the point where I wasn’t even training with the first-team at Tottenham. When I came to Pompey, I was 50 per cent fit. I was training with reserve coach Clive Allen and the kids, just five of us, crossing and shooting with no goalkeeper. Then, someone from the first-team got injured, so somebody came across to find one of us to train with them. They picked a kid instead of me – so I kind of knew it was curtains then. I was the only senior player there!”

...and this bit...

“When I joined Tottenham, my ex-partner was having a baby and she was premature. I was injured at the time and felt they showed no compassion towards me, which got my back up straight away. My little girl was born 10 weeks premature and they were still making me come in. There was a lot going on."

If this is the case, and given it's to a local paper it's more likely to hold water than selling a sob story to the Sun/Mail where it's everyone;s fault but his (i.e. a Kyle Walker special), it's one hell of an understatement to say that Martin Jol does not come out of it in a good light

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  8. humanbeingincroydon

9. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

My first glimpse of Dave Mackay was in the kick about before the start.I was amazed at his incredible skills with the ball.....then the whistle blew to start the game and it was lights out for the other team.
    Next day,Spurs were home again and Dave didn't play,replaced by Iley. What a difference!.....a day made!!!!!!!

10. bigsmithy9

I forgot to remind you......if Dave tackled you,you stayed tackled!!!!

11. bigsmithy9

I can remember the mighty Wolves coming to town one day,Billy Wright and all. Bobby Smith took him and Wolves apart. 5 goals,I think Smithy got that day.Wright returned to Wolverhampton with his tail between his legs and sporting a black eye!

Billy Wright retired to his Beverley sister a little later and became manager of Arsenal. Fat lot of good that did to both of them!!!!!

Stokenchurch yid likes this.
  12. bigsmithy9

Just looking through my old programmes. Here's one from1st Jan 1944.Spurs v West Hamm in the Football League (South).
    The line ups for Spurs:-
    1.Sgt Ditchburn.
    2.Lieut.(H.G.) Ward.
    3.Pte. Whatley (Capt.)
    4.Capt.R.White.
    5.Cpl.Chisholm.
    6.Cpr.Burgess.
    7.W.E. (Sonny) Walters.
    8.Sgt.Martin.
    9.L.-Cpl.Rowley.
    10.Beasley.
    11.Sgt.Jones.

AIR RAID WARNING.

In the event of an Air Raid Warning being received,the Police will instruct the Referee to stop the game when they deem it necessary and the players will leave the field.
    Spectators must take shelter and remain under cover until the "All Clear" has been given.

"Bugger the Germans.Spurs are playing!"

13. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

Thats a great programme to have Smithy! Historic. I remember Ditchburn, Burgess & Walters all playing for us after the war but did any of the others?
    I too have been having a bit of a sort out. I parted with the bulk of my programme collection some time ago but I have several from the '80s, many doubles & many in mint condition. If any Spurs supporter is missing any or would like a special date (birthday etc) and I have it then you can have it with pleasure, free to SPURS SUPPORTERS ONLY.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  14. bigsmithy9

I have several from the wartime league seasons. Many from pre war.The oldest is from 1920/1. I have an Evening News annual for 1901/2,many Spurs handbooks,the oldest 1911/12.I also have 4 Spurs away programmes from the season the never was....1939/40. A Thames programme with Jimmy Dimmock our 1921 Cup Final goal scorer at outside left!

I am a notorious hoarder!

I also collect Gibraltar stamps going back to the mid 1800's.
    I have many,many Spurs books and other annuals and Autobiographies.The oldest...Eddie Hapgood.

....and nearly 100 RAF and Battle of Britain books.

I know.I'm a nutcase!!!!!

15. bigsmithy9

I don't think Martin,Rowley or Beasley played for us.The others did.

16. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

That is some collection Smithy, I unfortunately lost the joint collection my dad and me had when he died , a nutjob relative told my mother to throw it all out as it was rubbish , I only found out years later

remembercolinlee likes this.
  17. bigsmithy9

I've read so many times of "valuable" stuff thrown out at home by ?
    I wonder how many Thames or other prewar programmes were "thrown out" or destroyed by WW2?

18. bigsmithy9

At one time I had no one to leave all this too (I didn't have kids as my wife was diagnosed with cancer 10 days after we got married and had to have a hysterectomy.I was 39 and at that time couldn't afford to adopt!)
    Anyway,several of my Kosovan friends have become ardent Spurs fans....so my problem is now solved!

p.s. Excuse my life story!!!!!

19. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

The one item I regret parting with was a 1901 newspaper with a report of our historic non-league Cup Final win with, IIRC, a grainy photograph.
    Your collection sounds amazing Smithy, I would love to have seen the wartime ones. I remember the handbooks which we bought every season for a shilling! Do they still do them I wonder? The ads in the old 1901 paper were fascinating, lovely big houses for sale for what seems next to nothing now & nice places to rent for a couple of bob! Its nice looking back over the old stuff now & then and I'm glad you've found a home for yours Smithy. The only thing I wouldn't part with now is my scrapbooks! The memories in them is too precious! (started in 1960) but I don't mind parting with programmes if any one wants some. Mainly '80s. I've just read through this & its a bit rambling <sorry> lockdown syndrome <laugh>

20. humanbeingincroydon