1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ex Spur thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Sharon Harrison, you absolute hero.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He scored. They drew. <doh> Keeper with a shocker against the ten men, following a rather dubious second yellow card.

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

4. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Sol Campbell is the new Southend manager.
    Currently losing 1-7 at home to Doncaster.
    Down to 9 men and Donny have had 75% possession and 30 attempts at goal.
    5 points from 14 games.
    Good luck.

5. humanbeingincroydon

If only Kaziah Sterling wasn't injured...

6. donotputinmicrowave

donotputinmicrowave Active Member

Imagine being a Southend and Spurs supporter

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. humanbeingincroydon

8. humanbeingincroydon

please log in to view this image

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Darren Anderton spoke very positively about him at half-time and his family were guests for the match between his two old teams.
    Apparently he was a very nice guy who did a lot of work with the youngsters in the squad and appreciated his time at Spurs a lot.

10. humanbeingincroydon

Somebody in the replies to that tweet mentioned how much he'd do to help the academy kids during his spell at the club

The sad thing is that his time at the club coincided with the period where our youth team wasn't producing much, with Stephen Kelly the only player remembered outside of pub quizzes

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

It depends on how young we're talking, really.
    King, Davies, Etherington, Doherty and the like were all about 20 when he joined.
    You've also forgotten Burnley legend Dean Marney.

12. humanbeingincroydon

I could've also mentioned Charlton legend Johnny Jackson, but that felt mean...

13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

And he's a filthy Goon.

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Edwards in the XI tonight for Vitoria as they face some unknown club in North London.

15. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Edward's puts Vitoria one up :emoticon-0103-cool:

16. humanbeingincroydon

17. humanbeingincroydon

Cribbed an interview with Edwards from The Times

The sight of Marcus Edwards effortlessly gliding through a crowd of players before having a rasping shot tipped over sent shivers down the spines of those at White Hart Lane. Then 17, his natural flair in the No 10 position had impressed those at the Tottenham Hotspur academy and the expectation only increased when he was likened to Lionel Messi by Mauricio Pochettino on the eve of that League Cup tie against Gillingham in 2016.

But that was as good as it got. Edwards left Tottenham for Vitória Guimarães in Portugal for a nominal fee and a 50 per cent sell-on clause last month and he could play against Arsenal in the Europa League tonight.

Rather than his Tottenham debut being a defining moment, his manager’s comparison has proved a millstone. There have since been less favourable comments from Pochettino, who spoke of his “authority and behavioural problems”, and Daniel Farke, the Norwich City head coach who cut short Edwards’s loan spell at Carrow Road last year after he failed to arrive on time for a single training session.

So much has been said about Edwards and yet he is only 20 and has played only 30 matches.

Shy and softly spoken, he acknowledges mistakes in his attitude but says that he has been judged too quickly and unfairly. He says that he is a more mature player and person, capable of reflecting, since a loan spell at Excelsior in the Netherlands last season.

Before his debut against Gillingham, Pochettino said that Edwards’s “looks, body and the way he plays — [remind] me of the beginning of Messi”.

“He had the right intentions,” Edwards says of Pochettino’s words. “I don’t really think about that. I can see why people think it could be positive but I don’t take too much interest in it. That is outside. When it came to the negative stuff, that was a bit harsh. I get judged and that is not fair.”

He joined Spurs aged eight. Sports-marketing companies soon banged on the door and he signed a three-year deal worth more than four-figures a week at the age of 18, the most for a teenager at the club.

Pochettino came to regret the Messi comparison and in his book made those comments about Edwards’s attitude problems. “That was the bit that was harsh and set off rumours as I did not show any authority issues,” he said. “When I was growing up maybe I did have a bit of an attitude problem. When Poch said it I was a bit confused as I did not show that. I thought I had changed. In the academy they knew me from when I was young, it is different. When I went to Norwich it stuck. They kill you from there.”

Norwich cut his loan short after one game, coming on for six minutes in a defeat against Fulham. He was hindered by a back problem but Norwich were unhappy with his attitude. “It is a bit surprising, some of the things said,” he says. “Some things have tarnished me. If you say something like that in the media, it gets blown up. It was a bit harsh, unfair. It used to stop opportunities for me. Clubs saying that they were not sure and don’t want to take the risk. A bit crazy, I know. I am grateful to Vitória for the chance. No one wants to [waste their talent].”

He was seen as a mystery at first at Excelsior — who he joined on loan for the 2018-19 season — until the penny dropped at Christmas. His coach showed him an article which compared top English talents. It was critical of Edwards and praised Jadon Sancho at Borussia Dortmund. The club brought him out of his shell and let him control the music in the dressing room. Edwards buckled down and had the most dribbles and was the second most-fouled player in the league. “Decent,” he says. “Defenders changed and I could feel them trying to foul me.”

In the Netherlands he addressed criticism that he did not track back or do the mundane parts of the game. “When I was young I wanted to get to the top and always trained extra, but maybe slacked off a bit of gym,” he says. “I learnt little things about being professional, not just skills. I watched players, listened. If someone says something that sticks, I write it in a book.”

Before he signed a four-year deal with Vitória this summer he spoke to Sancho, his close friend. He lives alone by the training ground in Guimarães but has been helped by João Carlos Teixeira, once of Liverpool. “Jadon opened eyes for young players in what you can do if you dedicate yourself,” he says. “Players who didn’t make it go off, do well and are back in the limelight.”

Edwards has received favourable reviews in his first two matches. “I’ve slotted in quickly, the fans have taken to me and asked for signatures,” he says. “I can see myself getting games and can show my potential. The club want to win a trophy. As a kid you want to play in Europe.”

He kept the shirt from his Spurs debut. “I will be back in England playing [against Arsenal] but more importantly we need to win,” he says.

18. humanbeingincroydon

One of our former youth teamers is going to be implicated in a sex scandal then...

please log in to view this image

19. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

20. Stokenchurch yid

Stokenchurch yid Well-Known Member

Cheers for that dee brought back some great memories <cheers>

remembercolinlee likes this.