1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Excuse my ignornance.... but....

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Lummiepie, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Lummiepie

Lummiepie Member

What happens if a guy is drafted by a side he does not want to play for?

Surly the NBA cant force a guy to move anywhere in the States or your just not welcome?

Can you draft and trade a guy without having to sign him?

The transfer market of the NBA is a bit of a mystery to me?

2. Lummiepie

Lummiepie Member

I took a long look at Carmelo Anthony's move to New York it is so crazy how it works.

They paid around $40m, as well as 4 players, and next years draft picks.

What I really didnt understand is they also had to take Chauncy Billups. I think it balanced the two teams wage cap bizzare.

It does seem odd that a guy who is regarded as the number 1 pick has to go and play for one of the worst teams, you would think he would really push to be at a top team.

3. connor wigham

connor wigham Active Member

well you think about it playing for the worst he plays good for a season and then can ask for a trade a good team will trade two average players for instance the two average players will improve the rubbish team making them better also it bring the league better and teams closer together

4. Lummiepie

Lummiepie Member

I do like the balance of the NBA. I suppose being only a five man game it only takes one or two good players coming in to change the fortunes of the side.

It would appear that having a big time scorer in your side makes a big difference, like you say, it is a team game but if you have a star thats hitting double points, rebounds, and assists every game you are always going to put pressure on the other side.

5. connor wigham

look at my team the kings they had a great draft haul after a nightmare 2008 season they got evens (rookie of the year 2010) and casbi (great palyer just not a starter brillient 2nd round pick) and this season they got dmarcus cousins (the second best rookie of the season 2011) this has made them a good team now

6. connor wigham

no this year no idea why there crap (see what team artical)

7. CRANGMAN

CRANGMAN Member

You would think that the draft would level the playing field but it doesn't really, I think like in something like the last 15years theres only been 4 different winners The lakers aka Man UTD, Boston celtics, SA Spurs and the Dallas mavs. Although the Spurs are quite a small markrt team, i don't think SA is very big but the celtics and the lakers have won like 50% of all the champioships since the start of the NBA.

I like how the draft tries to level the playing field, but it means you never get local players being brought through into the local teams. Like Gerrard at liverpool is a red through and through and will sweet blood for the team hes supported as a lad. I think it something they should look at doing in all sports really with teams only being able to sign young players who live locally for a set amount of years and then when they get older they can move if they want. It would make the sports more competitive as players would be more loyal to local clubs they've supported as kids.