1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Extinction Rebellion

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by luvgonzo, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

What is in it for the people who lead these protests?

2. Stan

Stan Stalker

So what's in it for the people who lead these protests?

The founders of Extinction Rebellion aren't millennials. The people who "are contriving these protests" are older than me and I'm no millennial!

3. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

Diego likes this.
  4. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Taken from Spiked, which is funded by Koch cash.

Shocked I tell ya.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/10/07/the-madness-of-extinction-rebellion/

5. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

Diego likes this.
  6. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Climate change is undeniable - and appears to be accelerating. If nothing is done then the human race is so stupid it will just carry on until it destroys itself. Which, tbh, it will probably do anyway.

I’m sure ER’s intentions are sincere and correct - I’m not so sure about their methods. The problem for those who are sincere about this and see it as the world destroying itself is that, like most major demonstrations, all sorts of people with other agendas attach themselves to the cause to promote those agendas. Often violently.

There’s little doubt that something has to be done to at least slow up the current rate of global warming, but that would require genuine cooperation from major nations across the globe to cut emissions.

The cynic in me tells me it ain’t gonna happen.

7. brb

brb CR250

Question - do extinction rebellion want to change the way we travel the world, and if so what are those changes, in regards to people (travel) and imports and exports of goods and are their alternatives viable?

8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Everyone complaining about ER don't really give a ****...it comes through their posts so blatantly.

Wanting to take pot shots at people who are drawing attention to Climate Change.

At least Trump has got shares in the companies that are ruining the Planet...you idiots just suck Right wing cock and will support anything without hesitation because ultimately you all just want to "win"

Climate change is made up because Brexit has gone to ****...thats what this is <laugh>

Archers Road, luvgonzo, Toby and 3 others like this.
  9. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

We live in a World now where the media try to discredit one of the most senior judges in the land for liking French cheese if they don’t say the right thing. It filters down.

PINKIE and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  10. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Question is multi faceted really. In terms of freight travel, there's a good argument to simply reduce all the crap that we consume. Do we really need a new TV every 2 years ? Do we need to buy new clothes every couple of weeks ? etc. The amount of ****e that is produced in China that has a short shelf life not only adds to CO2 in terms of getting it here, but also in terms of its production, i.e. plastic is made from oil, fossil fuels are used in the production, operating the machinery, the packing, shipping etc. Then that plastic and non recyclable materials then ends up in landfill or in the oceans as microplastic, and you begin to understand that the cycle of degradation is more than just buying a new TV.

In terms of leisure travel i.e. flying using jet planes. There's an argument that maybe it's a luxury that we can't afford at the moment, what's more important, having a nice holiday or arresting global warming ? There are trials of electric planes being built, as long as the electric then used to fly them is produced using wind, solar, hydro etc, then that could be a carbon neutral way of flying.

I understand that there's also a lot of commerce, jobs etc involved. So you have to weigh that up too. But unfettered economic growth has got us into this mess, so it's not a sustainable option to continue with.

Mick O'Toon likes this.
  12. brb

brb CR250

So basically it's not viable. Unless we want to destroy the global economy....and also cut out freedom of movement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to destroy globalisation. I'm not too sure some people will be happy with twarting freedom of movement.

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Also, on the issue of fashion and the textile industry. It's one of the most polluting industries on the planet and accounts for more Co2 emissions that ALL aviation and shipping pollution combined !

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/earth-...rbon-impact-is-bigger-than-airline-industrys/

ebay is your friend, buying second hand means that all of the energy associated with production, labour, packing, shipping, freight, etc has already been consumed.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It is viable, there are alternatives. Plastics made from hemp oil, clothes made from natural fibres, electric planes, electric vehicles, energy produced using sustainable technologies.

I'm not saying it would be a like for like swap, but for every job lost in the fossil fuel, fast fashion, plastics industry etc, there surely would be jobs created in their alternatives.

15. brb

brb CR250

As I said it is not viable (immediately). How long would it take all that to become viable. What would be the impact on the global economy during the course of change, thus the affect also on global jobs and people. It still does not answer the questions of freedom of movement. How do we decide who flys and who dosen't, will it come down to if you are rich enough and can afford it. Will I have to take to a dingy like a migrant if I want to visit Europe.

Tiddler likes this.
  16. brb

brb CR250

Tiddler likes this.
  17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It's not immediately viable no, as the technology isn't box ready. It could be though, if the political will was there. And yes there would be a transition period that would affect jobs and commerce, but again it comes down to what's more important, saving people's jobs or saving ourselves from extinction ?

Ideally, there's nothing to prevent people enjoying the freedom to travel and fly as they do now if electric planes were introduced.

18. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

So word is greta thunberg is a front runner for the Nobel peace prize.

Some weeping silver spoon fed child.

Yaay

Tiddler likes this.
  19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

You been filming over my hedge again ? <whistle>

brb likes this.
  20. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Gonna need a very long extension lead for that **** tbh.

PINKIE and Tiddler like this.