1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2018 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Smithers, Apr 25, 2017.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I might be making it up, but didn't Jaime have some kind of health condition, discovered after he left F1? I think that as much as anything else forced him out of motorsport.

2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I didn't know that but, after a perusal of Wikipedia (I know I know) it seems he fainted after the Moscow E-Prix and missed the next 2 races with a 'minor heath scare', shortly after that he retired from racing altogether so perhaps there was more to it

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm wrong, on announcing his retirement aged 25, he said his health was no barrier. https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/121110/alguersuari-retires-from-motorsport

4. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

As part of his 300th race celebration, Alonso was asked if it bothered him that he hadn't won as many races as Vettel, Hamilton etc.

his slightly bitchy response was he would rather have less trophies than ones he didn't deserve.

Presumably he'll be handing back at least Singapore 08 and Germany 10..........

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136700/alonso-glad-he-doesnt-have-undeserved-trophies

"I will not be happy if I have many trophies at home and people think that I don't deserve them. That would be even harder."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    EternalMSC, DHCanary and Big Ern like this.
  5. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

As a racer at heart, I'd be happy with any trophy. No time in F1 for racing ethics and moral highground bullshit.

6. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

So bitter, lol, I wonder how he'll feel if Seb lifts it with Ferrari this year?
    Sorry 'nando, Seb is faster than you.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  7. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This coming from the driver who's just entered le man with the only realistic lmp1 team. I assume he'll be glum if he wins since there was no competition.

8. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

*laughs*

To be fair though, ask a twatty question, expect a twatty answer. :)

9. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

No sympathy for the bloke , his fault he left Mclaren , his fault he left Ferrari .

He is very very talented , but stupid as well IMHO .

easynic150 likes this.
  10. SgtBhaji

It all went wrong in 2007....

Oh ****, i mentioned 2007.... destroy the thread, destroy the entire site... destroy everything!!!

Big Ern and WestCoastBoogaloo like this.

11. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why what happened in 2007, please elaborate.

.... leaves country to join internet rejecting tribe

DHCanary likes this.
  12. SgtBhaji

Don't ask questions man.... make for the life boats and save yourself!!!

13. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

didn't he get sacked after what happened with Hamilton that year? He rather of stayed then gone back to Renault.

14. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

15. Number 1 Jasper

And this from the Mail .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...5p-chocolate-bars-given-reward-hard-work.html

IMHO . Yes it's all going the shape of the pear at McLaren , but this seems to me just like sh*t stirring .

I'm probably wrong , I usually am .

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  16. Number 1 Jasper

Eric called a Daily Mail reporter a Liar at the official press conference .

21:20 is Where the " FUN " Starts .

easynic150 likes this.
  17. eddie_squidd

Boullier has quit.

That’s according to the Sun though, so will try to find a more reputable source!

18. eddie_squidd

19. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Never really thought of Boullier as someone who could lead the team. McRenault need someone to kick the team forward and re invigorate them.

20. Number 1 Jasper

On the BBC -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula-one/44708491

De Ferran in though ?

** Is it me , or can anyone see where they say " Thank You ERIC " Anywhere ?

Pretty bad no matter what has gone on before IMHO

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier has left the team, saying it is "the right time to step down" amid a wider restructure of their leadership.

McLaren have had a disappointing start to 2018, struggling to qualify in the top 10 having started the season with ambitions of competing with Red Bull.

Former Indycar champion Gil De Ferran has been appointed sporting director.

Andrea Stella has been appointed performance director, responsible for trackside operations.

McLaren chief executive Zak Brown said Stella - the former Ferrari engineer who joined in 2015 alongside Fernando Alonso - would be "ultimately responsible for the performance of the car" and would lead the team at the track.

Brown added that he had consulted closely with lead driver Alonso, who had been "a part of the process", and that the two new appointees will work closely to "maximise the performance of the team".

'Change to improve systemic issues'
    De Ferran, 50, began a role as a roving adviser at the Spanish Grand Prix in early May. The Brazilian also acted as Alonso's driver coach during the Spaniard's attempt at the Indianapolis 500 last year.

Previously, he was sporting director for the Honda F1 team, which has since become world champions Mercedes, for two years from 2005.

Brown said that the performance of the car this season "has not met the expectations of anyone at McLaren, especially our loyal fans".

He added: "The causes are systemic and structural, which require major change from within. With today's announcement, we start to address those issues head on and take the first step on our road to recovery."

Boullier had been responsible for setting up the technical structure, which had begun to be questioned by McLaren senior management.

The 44-year-old said last season that their chassis was among the best in F1 and that they were being held back by the Honda engine.

McLaren decided to split with Honda, which was their works partner and provided free engines, sponsorship and other payments, at the end of last season and instead become a Renault customer team despite the moving costing in the region of $100m net per year.

However, the car has been close to two seconds a lap off the pace this season, with McLaren fifth in the championship and Alonso eighth in the drivers' championship.

Brown said McLaren had found themselves in "a completely unacceptable situation".

He added: "We have big performance issues. We are punching well below our weight given our history, and the resources, people and technology at our disposal.

"Ultimately Eric felt in order for McLaren to go forward in the best possible light, his resignation would allow that to happen.

"The situation was not created overnight and it will not be solved overnight but this is a great starting point."

A McLaren statement added that the changes were "the beginning of a comprehensive programme of positive changes to the technical leadership".

Meanwhile, Red Bull have announced that they are to stop using Renault engines at the end of this season and switch to Honda for 2019.