1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2019 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by DHCanary, Jun 19, 2018.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To kick us off, Red Bull Honda is confirmed for 2019.

Big Ern and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Damn .

You beat me to it .

I think Honda will come good , but will they better Renault ?

3. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

It sounds like Red Bull believe the latest update puts them basically level. I guess having been in the sport for a shorter time, Red Bull hope Honda have a higher ceiling?

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. Number 1 Jasper

Out of interest , do you watch Marc Priestley's VLOGS on You Tube ?

5. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

No but perhaps I should. Missed Apex podcast is normally my source of F1 news/gossip between race weekends.

6. Number 1 Jasper

He's an ex McLaren Mechanic amongst other things .

I like him / his VLOGS .

This one is relevant .

Watch it all , but go to about 4:30

7. Number 1 Jasper

Never heard of it . Will give it a go ta :)

8. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

The host can be a bit of an acquired taste, but the contributors like Joe Saward, Matt Somerfield and Matthew Carter are really good.

9. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

McLaren haven't; massively improved on speed with Renault compared to last year, so does it suggest that the Honda is at least comparable to the Renault? RBR will have done a lot of homework when looking at Torro Rosso's data so will be able to see direct comparisons of power/torque curves compared to Renault.

Torro Ross certainly haven't shown the speed deficits that had been seen from Honda (last year Honda wasn't as slow on the straights as some made out) , so maybe Red Bull think now is the right time to make the switch and have more influence with a manufacturer on packaging, engine development etc?

easynic150 likes this.
  10. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Red Bull choosing Honda over Renault. McLaren going the other way. Someone's going to be left fuming.

Wonder if anyone will pick up the spare Renault PU? I did fear Williams might but then the Mercedes is supposedly cheaper.

11. allsaintchris.

I think Williams have bigger issues than just their engine!

Number 1 Jasper and DHCanary like this.
  12. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

At Montreal, supposedly a track which favours good engine performance, Red Bull lapped Renault, and Renault lapped Mclaren. I think it's safe to say the ICE isn't Mclaren's biggest problem either.

easynic150 and allsaintchris. like this.
  13. allsaintchris.

Just had a look back at Canadian quali………….

With Honda :-

2015 - Alonso into Q2 1.6sec off fastest A2 time and 1.9 sec off actual pole.

2016 - Alonso made it to Q3, 1.5 sec off pole

2017 - Alonso only into Q2, 1.2sec off fastest Q2 time and 1.8sec off actual pole

And with Renault

2018 - Alonso Q2 again, 1.3 sec off fastest Q2 and 1.9sec off actual pole.

Oh dear...………. The only thing that has made them look better this year was early season reliability where Alonso finished higher up mainly due to others problems (AUS, both Haas, BAKU, both RBR's etc). They're actual performances have not been that great.

Bahrain is quite a power circuit with its 3 straights and Torro Rosso owned them big time.

easynic150 likes this.
  14. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I wonder how Renault are about this? It wouldn't surprise me if Red Bull don't get the second pu update on their 'allocation' of units. Maybe Renault can somehow time the update to after red bull have started using their 3rd pu? Then again RB have already used more components than scheduled.

This also makes Riccy's decisions more interesting. Does he think Honda will have closed the gap to Merc and Ferrari? If not can RB chassis beat the disadvantage of Honda power?

Then there is all Honda's eggs in the Red Bull basket for just 2 years. When there has been wide speculation that RB may have been working on their own pu or maybe a 'branded' Aston pu?

All interesting just a pity anyone wanting to watch 2019 in UK needs to pay Sky!

15. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

So who gets the TAG engine?

16. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Logical (only) choice for Red Bull. It's the perfect gamble for them for two years. They've had access to the data via Toro Rosso, Honda are over the worst of their issues and whilst still needing some mighty steps, do possess the potential to nail it in the end. Add to that the fact that you've now got Adrian Newey freed up to design around a power unit made for RBR, and things sound good.

McLaren look destined for some humble pie, and the big wigs who ousted Ron Dennis may well be left to see that patience was all that was needed. However I sympathise given just how awful things were. The only caveat being we don't know if McLaren forced an aggressive design for Honda or whether Honda just got it plain wrong at the beginning.

Still all got to play out and Honda have to deliver, but they have to get it right some time.

I hope Honda come good in the end as I think they've handled what were embarrassing times with much modesty and dignity, so well done them.

easynic150 likes this.
  17. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

True silly season, allegedly Mclaren have offered Daniel Ricciardo a $20m/year contract.

Suggests Alonso is off, if nothing else. Also doesn't show a lot of faith in Vandoorne.

18. allsaintchris.

Vandoorne hasn't really shown much to merit keeping his drive at McLaren other than for continuity if Alonso did go.

He hasn't been given the greatest package to drive, but his relative performances against Alonso aren't brilliant and if there is a McLaren doing some fighting it is generally Alonso as well, so it's not like he has shown a lot of racecraft either.

Are McLaren brave enough to promote Hamilton mk2 into his seat next year, alongside Ricciardo if that is true? Worked okay for them first time round.

19. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

So putting together various rumours:

Ferrari don't want to spend $50m+ a year on driver salaries, so won't employ Vettel and Ricciardo. Leclerc will be promoted.
    Red Bull have offered Ricciardo equal terms to Verstappen, and equal status in the team.
    Sainz doesn't have a route back to Red Bull. Mclaren are interested if they can't land Ricciardo.

Realistically, unless Ricciardo considers working with Verstappen too toxic an environment, there's a strong chance that that's the best seat available to him in 2019. Equally Sainz won't do better than Renault, so I can't see why he'd leave. Mclaren have Norris, then stick with Vandoorne unless Alonso sticks around, or they go for somebody else desperate enough to make the move.

20. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

If I wasn't Danny Rich I'd sign a two year deal alongside what Honda have done.

Driver market will clear and new rules might then make the likes of Renault and McLaren a better gamble than they are next year.