1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2020 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Danny is in a difficult place. Yes, Ferrari could be an option, Merc if Lewis goes to Ferrari, or even a replacement for Bottas. I think Danny is going to have to demonstrate his talent more this year to get re noticed given the crop of young drivers with talent, and smaller wage bills. Alternatively, Renault need to deliver.

Big Ern likes this.
  2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think for Danny Ric to ever stand on the podium again (let alone compete for wins and titles) he needs to ruin Ocon's career in 2020.

Red Bull are highly unlikely to be an option ever again - they'll promote from within regardless of which driver leaves.
    Ferrari might need a second driver, but Vettel will surely stay for the 2021 season (which should suit him), by which point Giovinazzi or one of their 5 F2 drivers might well have had a chance to impress, they'll be desperate to get Mick Schumacher in a Ferrari if at all possible. I still think Ferrari would go for Perez over Ricciardo if they needed a driver this second too.

As long as Hamilton is at Mercedes, Bottas stays. It's a tried and tested combination which neither driver are bothered about upsetting. Merc only replace Bottas if they know for certain that they're into a final season with Hamilton. They'll need a new number one, and want them embedded in the team and to learn from Hamilton if possible. At the moment, that's going to be Ocon or Russell, whichever is looking most promising.

To overtake the pair of them in the pecking order, Danny Ric needs to make Ocon look terrible. He needs to be quicker on track, translate that into results, but also get under Ocon's skin and see if that petulance from old will resurface. Merc want a team player, something Ricciardo has traditionally been good at.

Justjazz likes this.
  3. Justjazz

I agree with some of what you say, particularly about putting Ocon in the shadows. The Hulk was not far behind Danny on occasions last season, the car needs to be far better to allow the driver input to come through.

I don't see Vettel at Ferrari in 2021 unless he suddenly finds a set of skills he has not displayed so far, his contract is only to the end of this year. There is a vacancy coming there.
    I think Danny has integrity, will want to justify his salary. His best option is Renault becoming a real contender but I think there will be one good seat available in 2021.

4. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

So would I- Danny is excellent and I’d like to see him in a team where drivers are completely treated as equals.

Max certainly has an edge on him from a pure one lap point of view but points are handed out on Sunday’s and Danny can definitely get in a title fight in the right car.

The one thing I do know is that he is levels above Pierre Gasly and Alex Albon, and Red Bull have missed him dearly.

It could cost them a constructors title if they build the best car in the coming years.

ched999uk and Justjazz like this.
  5. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Rumours that Hamilton has or is about to sign 2 year deal with Merc!!!! My guess it will be his final 2 years. I would guess try for 7th wdc then new cars in 2021 and if Merc mess up in 2021 he then has extra year to prove how 'good' he is in new cars!!!!!

Justjazz likes this.
  6. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Williams will go nowhere if they keep signing up hopeless development drivers. There must be a huge wad of cash accompanying Roy 'son of Chanoch' Nissany.

He will never get an F1 superlicence to race, so its just a cash exercise and what feedback can a driver with such a poor junior formula record really give?

You just hope they strike it lucky with their 2020 car and give their drivers a slim chance of getting points, otherwise how long can this team carry on slithering around at the bottom of the laptimes?

ched999uk, Big Ern and Justjazz like this.
  7. Justjazz

I saw that announcement too, it is only a few tests, they will probably gain more from the telemetry than driver feedback so expect there is damage limitation. As you say, there must be money in it for Williams. That will be hived off to maintain the Williams lifestyle!!!
    That really was the wrong commentary she gave last year, more about lifestyle rather than passion.

Number 1 Jasper and Big Ern like this.
  8. ched999uk

Rumors suggesting that Ferrari have aero issues!! But other reports of them using 2 different cars at the 2 tests, same as Merc did last year! I wonder if they could be playing things down even before the tests so they don't look as good as last year only for it to turn sour?
    It's all too easy, at this tie of year, for teams to 'leak' info to mess with competitors heads, fun to read and guess though :)
    I do hope Ferrari have not messed up, that Honda have found an extra 50 horses and Renault have sorted reliability with MGUK and gained in aero.
    It would be great to have an unpredictable winner for a while.
    I can't really see any team messing up badly this year as regs are so stable plus they will all be putting effort into 2021.

Justjazz and Big Ern like this.
  9. Justjazz

No team in their right mind is going to show their true capability, if they are they probably don't have a fighting chance.
    If Honda come up with 50HP that surely would put them streets ahead? Not long before the season starts although at my age I ain't wishing the days away.

ched999uk likes this.
  10. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Forget Renault, they don't take it seriously enough to challenge at the front.

Justjazz likes this.

11. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Ricciardo at Ferrari instead of Vettel. Trouble is Ferrari have already chosen their guy so I think he'd have an uphill battle. But he seems a better fit there than at no-hope Renault.

Justjazz likes this.
  12. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If Hamilton packed his bags I'd put Ricciardo and Russel at Mercedes.

ched999uk and Justjazz like this.
  13. Justjazz

I think George has yet to prove himself. He was in a rubbish car up against a driver that I don't believe was able to come back. George has a good history but needs to be able to prove himself with some outstanding performances in the midfield this year and hope Williams provides the car to enable this.

Big Ern and ched999uk like this.
  14. Justjazz

Rumours that Dad Stroll is going to take over Aston Martin are now intense. I am assuming there is a contractual obligation at Red Bull or does he want Red Bull too? Linking Aston Martin to Racing Point doesn't seem great.

15. ched999uk

I think Aston are 'just' RB title sponsor + Adrians projects. Force India/Racing Point were quite good before their financial difficulties and Stroll came along. I am hoping FI/RP will be back on form for 2020. If they do come back turning them into Aston Martin F1 might be a good move especially with new 2021 budget cap.

Justjazz likes this.
  16. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Missed Apex podcast had a section on this in the last episode.

I think the theory is that Daddy Stroll buys Aston Martin with the help of a Chinese electric car manufacturer, and between the 3 entities they take over the Mercedes F1 team, when they look to step back their involvement to being just an engine manufacturer around 2021/22.

The Aston Martin RB partnership is dead. It was only sponsorship, and the only reason Red Bulls will run with AM branding this year is because the contract was paid in full at the start of the term. Aston Martin wouldn't have had the money otherwise. Honda will prefer to not have AM branding on the car too.

Presume in that case Force Point Racing India become a more closely tied B-team.

Justjazz likes this.
  17. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rumours circulating that Mercedes are having a crunch meeting to decide if they want to withdraw the works team after 2020 and continue soley as an engine manufacturer.

Would definitely shake up the sport, but I would hate to see Mercedes leave unbeaten. Ferrari or Red Bull winning in 2021 would have an air "only won because Merc couldn't be bothered" about it, like Toyota winning Le Mans without Audi or Porsche.

18. ched999uk

Rumor has it it's on 12 Feb! I wonder if Lewis is pricing himself out of a job!!!!

Justjazz likes this.
  19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Being reported on Autosport as well .

ched999uk likes this.
  20. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

And from the BBC .

Lewis Hamilton yet to begin contract talks
    please log in to view this image

By Andrew Benson

Chief F1 writer