1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2021 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Oct 28, 2020.

1. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Thought we should have a thread for 2021 rumours and chat.

Looks like Lewis will be rushing to sign a new deal as all teams agreed to a 2023 driver salary cap at $30 million for BOTH drivers!!! Currently it's rumoured to be about $38 million a year just for Lewis!!!
    So if he agrees a 3 or more year deal quickly the team will be allowed to honour what ever is in the contract!

I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a 5 year deal with get outs just to maintain his salary.

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

With Gasly resigning for AT and Albon pretty much confirmed out of RB looks like we are getting Huuuulkenbeeerg or Perez.

ched999uk likes this.
  3. ched999uk

Read that Max prefers Hulk. He speaks Dutch as well! Perez might be great at Williams bring them a few £££ and his experience of low budget big points teamworking. He would be very valuable.
    Also Mike Sch and Russian Mazapin (sp) to Haas which might not go well but can't be much worse plus may give Haas an exit and Russians dad a team. I was concerned about Force India/Racing point and Daddy Stroll but it does seem like he may be helping Aston so that's good.

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Perez and Max, let the carbon fibre fly!

eddie_squidd and ched999uk like this.
  5. ched999uk

Looks like the number of seats left is getting low. Williams confirm same driver line up in 2021. Alfa Romeo same drivers so only really Haas and 1 seat at Red Bull in the air at moment.
    My guess is Hulk to Red Bull and Perez to Hass along with Mick Schu.

6. Big Ern

Hulk probably deserves it, normally a substitute driver gets plaudits for being anywhere near close, (Di Resta for example) so coming in and looking like he's been in the car all season has caused a few people to take more notice than when he was consistently the best of the rest.

ched999uk likes this.
  7. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

8. happyal

happyal Active Member

It'll be funny if he quits next year, but I can't see it happening. I don't think Mercedes would of allowed Russel to be confirmed at Williams if they were worried.

ched999uk likes this.
  9. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Re Lewis, I think the only issue is likely to be the term of the contract. Lewis may only want 1 year, Merc, 3 years perhaps. If my guess is right it will be who is willing to compromise and compromise can't be assumed in advance of the negotiation, hence Lewis being cautious about setting expectation. I am pretty sure he will be in the mix next year.

10. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Can they really force a salary cap on drivers? Even if the teams and most drivers agree . It only takes one to take it to court .....

11. Big Ern

the other way around seems more likely, I think he'd rather be put on a 3yr deal before the cap comes in than a 1 year and then the following season get a pay-cut.

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  12. ched999uk

My guess is 3 or 5 years with get outs. That way he retains huge salary and both Merc and him have get outs if 2022 doesn't look good or Merc sell up and become PU supplier only.

Big Ern likes this.
  13. happyal

happyal Active Member

Well it's Tuesday, so I guess it's time for a major team to threaten to pull out of F1.

Today it's Redbulls turn over the engine freeze they want, and Renault and Ferrari don't.

ched999uk likes this.
  14. ched999uk

Isn't it always Red Bull? They are just bullies.

While I feel slightly sorry for Red Bull as just as the Honda PU is good they pull the plug. If they hadn't been so abusive to Renault there wouldn't be the problem.
    Thinking about it surely the compromise is to allow certain areas to be developed and a freeze other than for reliability (fixing an actual failure, not a perceived failure) on the rest of the PU. Maybe allow development of control electronics or storage as I think MGUK is most expensive and not road related part. Maybe just freeze the IC & turbo part of the PU.
    At the moment the teams are just posturing ready for the negotiations. Red Bull must have spoken to Honda and have an idea if they would be allowed to licence the PU?
    I wonder how much money Red Bull are going to 'save' with the budget cap? Maybe there should be a budget cap on PU development. That way Red Bull might be able to afford the team budget cap and a PU cap if it were similar to what they had previously been spending?

Number 1 Jasper and Justjazz like this.
  15. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Yeah Red Bull have been the new Ferrari for a while. So much so when Ferrari next moan I'll say they are the new Red Bull!

16. Number 1 Jasper

IMHO there is a difference . Ferrari have ( not always ) had class + a LOT of history .

HM & CH would not know what that was if it bit them in the ass .

Quick to take the credit , even quicker to point the finger .

And the way they treat their drivers ( apart from whoever is the CHOSEN one at the time ) is disgusting IMHO .

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  17. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

If I could like it more than once, I would.<cheers>

But, here is the thing, all good entertainment needs a bad guy, take a bow Red Bull!
    Secretly we love having a poke at them.

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  18. Number 1 Jasper

This is true to an extent , but I honestly feel that Horner in Particular is a spiteful piece of work , and I really don't like that . In fairness to Marko , he has been there done it , was friends and racing mate with Jochen Rindt for goodness sake .

19. Big Ern

They paid Renault a lot of money, who cost cut on design and ended up with a very inferior PU, and I don't remember McLaren singing Honda's praises much this time round.
    As to the drivers, yeah, having their junior careers bankrolled and then being expected to be half decent and able to handle the pressure when they get to f1, horrendous. Unlike WIlliams, of course, who treated Hill so well he was one of the poorest paid drivers on the grid and was refused a pay-rise for becoming WDC. In fact, haven't Williams got rid of all their title winning drivers?

20. Number 1 Jasper

I don't remember Williams dropping anyone half way through the season .

No , Mclaren didn't sing Hondas praises , I don't remember them publicly slating them either .

As regards Hill , they chose not to renew his contract , that happens sometimes . Also Hills manager didn’t help .

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020